RC Competitor

Clever solution to that spring pin shearing off in the transmission.

Idk if you guys have issues with the spring pin that holds the smaller gear on the spur gear shaft but i do. I have sheared it off twice this week.

My solution. Un tested. Is a beefer pin that im sure alot of you guys have laying in a parts bin.

You know the old mip cvds shafts. Before the xdutys. The cross pin that holds the joint together is a perfect fit and rather snug. If not snug. Just ruff the suface up a bit with some pliers.

Heres. Photo

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Its funny as hard as I pound on my 2wds even with a 2400kv 550 on 5s I've never had one single lay-shaft pin issue.
    Perhaps I shouldn't brag, it will probably be the next thing I break.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Too late Billy, you're doomed!

Swagon Wagon, is that a solid pin?
    El que se rie, de sus maldades se acuersa.

RC Competitor
    Rock soild. Plus i just super glued my diff shut. Added more grease to the trans. Sealed the trans case seem with sealant. Greased up the xdutys. I also run stampede rpm arms on the back for a wider track

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Yea. Soild pins they use in cvds.

Another good replacement pin to use is a piece of one of those hardened "L" wrenches that come with the truck. Forget which size it is, but one of them is an almost perfect light press fit. I think it's the one for the pinion set screw. I've used them for the layshaft pin and also for CVD pins when they break and have never had to mess with them again.

RC Qualifier
    I went to the local machine parts store, and got a hardened steel pin for 16 cents - haven't had a problem since
    "Jedi Master"

RC Qualifier
    Good call, Harry! I'll try that next time! I've been gluing the gear to the shaft with green loctite and shimming it fairly tight-maybe half a tick of play-with an aluminum case, and been lucky. During my experiment with the RPM case, I roached a few spring pins- I really think that case flex has something to do with the issue.

RC Champion
    Billy, I said the same thing a few weeks ago to my son who continually breaks his.. guess what, mine snapped on the first pull of the throttle on my last saturday night racing, ending my race before it began. I replaced with a new stock unit. My sons is a modified hardened shaft that is drilled and jammed into his. Been months since his last failure.. He runs 3800 4 pole on 3S...
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

Too late Billy, you're doomed!
    Billy, I said the same thing a few weeks ago to my son who continually breaks his.. guess what, mine snapped on the first pull of the throttle on my last saturday night racing, ending my race before it began.
    LOL, I know I'm on borrowed time,, at least I having a good run.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    I had the same problem in my rustler....after the third one I didn't have a pin that size so I used a drill bit. Cut it to size...haven't look back!
    Works great!