RC poster

Exclamation 2wd slash differential issue

Hi guys

New to this only got my slash a week ago

It's running the standard brushed Titan and standard 3000mah battery

My issue is I'm onto my 3rd main diff gear, and am unsure if I am doing something wrong or there is another issue with the car

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...psipeydbgl.jpg

Pretty much only been bashing it on grass / loose gravel and some road / footpaths

Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm

^^^ Yikes!

Have you called traxxas support? There is def something wrong if you broke 3 of those. Maybe a defective gearbox case misaligned the gears???
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Did you buy it new, or used?

Did they all look somewhat like that, teeth missing on a particual side of the gear? Recommend checking the bearings that gear sits on, and the bearings of the gear that drives it as a first troubleshooting step. The transmission should be rock solid with a XL-5, Titan and 7-cell pack.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    I think you're going to need a complete overhaul for your gearbox. It could be a bad case, bad bearings, or the other gears could be worn out. Id just rebuild the whole thing so you know its all new and done right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    Wow, that's bad! There is something very, very wrong. I'd swing by the LHS, with enough dough for all new guts and bearings, maybe even a new case, and ask the friendly guy at the counter for some help. If you haven't already established a good relationship with the guys, this will help, and you will have a fresh perspective into what's going on- sometimes a fresh set of eyes will catch that little thing you've been missing.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    If you break another, I would just buy a take off trans from ebay.

RC poster
    Car was brand new in box

All gears are only stripped 3/4, I've just put it back together the way it came apart the first time which was only 3/4 in mesh

Going to go down and pick up another diff kit & whilst I'm there speak to them about the integy trans housing / proline complete transmission assembly - would perfer to just pay the $40 for the case over the $150 for the complete transmission but it may be worth it if it's any good

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    / proline complete transmission assembly
    IMO a very bad idea, the pro line trans is the worst product they ever released to the public.
    First thing you need to do is break down your said ready to go trans and replace the plastic idler gear and then your still pledged with a plastic diff.
    Unless your purely racing and intend to be servicing the trans a lot stay clear of the pro line trans.
    I run them after investing near $200 in fixing what pl didn't.
    the integy trans housing
    Imo and the opinion of many a step further down the road to ruin, anything branded Integy is imo bad news.
    May I ask, are you going from reverse to forward to reverse trying to pull wheelies?
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-19-2014 at 03:16 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Billy, just found out recently that PL transmissions are shipping with steel idlers now. They seem to have fixed the durability issues the first run had, but they never publicized that fact. Although I still haven't bought one, they are finally a "safe" purchase.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster75 View Post
    Billy, just found out recently that PL transmissions are shipping with steel idlers now. They seem to have fixed the durability issues the first run had, but they never publicized that fact. Although I still haven't bought one, they are finally a "safe" purchase.
    Isn't that nice, they won't admit to the error but have changed their product.
    I was aware if you purchased the new diff it came with an aluminum idler but wasn't aware of the hole trans be sent out that way.

Do you know if the diff is still plastic?
    If your just racing their not bad but for a basher steal is a must imo.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 01-19-2014 at 04:06 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post

^^^ Yikes!

Have you called traxxas support? There is def something wrong if you broke 3 of those. Maybe a defective gearbox case misaligned the gears???
    Pulled it apart this morning, case needs to be replaced. Where the rear A arm pivots has split / broken away. So I Checked the front end A Arm mounts and one of them is also split as well. Maybe a little to hard bashing?

I've ordered a Integy Trans Case, Cover and Front bulk head now just have to wait 10 Days for it to arrive!

RC poster
    How is the RPM trans? I ordered one a week ago after ripping the A arm mount out.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    How is the RPM trans?
    I run two of them and while their not great at dissipating heat they seem to be as tough as any other rpm part, just stay away from Integy their cast aluminum is junk, in fact just avoid anything Integy.

RC Champion
    You don't need a aftermarket transmission. Something is misaligned. No way should you have been stripping one differential, let alone 3 with the stock XL5 setup. I would call traxxas. I would bet some part is misshaped or warped from the factory and causing this premature wear.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzforbrains View Post
    You don't need a aftermarket transmission. Something is misaligned. No way should you have been stripping one differential, let alone 3 with the stock XL5 setup. I would call traxxas. I would bet some part is misshaped or warped from the factory and causing this premature wear.
    I believe he knows this.
    Pulled it apart this morning, case needs to be replaced. Where the rear A arm pivots has split / broken away. So I Checked the front end A Arm mounts and one of them is also split as well. Maybe a little to hard bashing?

RC Racer
    For me get FLM transmission case i recommended to everyone. It's a solid aluminum case
    Here is my mine

RC Qualifier
    The RPM case is a turd with any kind of power- the pastic is too soft and the bearing bores wallow out quickly, the 3mm screw holes are slightly too big and require a drop of CA to actually hold a thread, and the arm mounts are always loose, even with high strength loctite on the nuts, because the plastic cold flows. The HR composite case is better engineered and costs less.

RC Qualifier
    +1 on the hr case. I haven't ran the rpm case but my hr one is a few years old and still as good as new.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster75 View Post
    The RPM case is a turd with any kind of power- the pastic is too soft and the bearing bores wallow out quickly, the 3mm screw holes are slightly too big and require a drop of CA to actually hold a thread, and the arm mounts are always loose, even with high strength loctite on the nuts, because the plastic cold flows. The HR composite case is better engineered and costs less.
    Cant agree 100% with you here my friend, the one below has a solid year of pounding and is as good as it was new.
    They may not be what we expected from rpm but not that bad.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I have never ran a hr case but I love their pl steal diff, the only thing I've ever heard negative about hr is their lack of customer service.
    I will however ad imo the flm shown above is an excellent choice no mater which way you look at it.

RC poster
    Cheers for all the info guys, from what was gonna be a simple first rc car I seem to have done what I do to my real 4wds and just spent $$

Just sucks that everything has to come from the states as not many Australian hobby shops stock parts

I went with integy against all the bad reviews I've seen as a mate gave me a

Conversion kit ( arms , hubs , towers etc in alloy )

So now I have on order waiting for them to land

Integy bulk head, motor mount/ skid plate , front skid , trans case & servo saver
    Castle creations brushless setup
    2 x 2s 5000 20/30c lipos
    Pro line raptor body
    Traxxas GTR shocks
    Integy spring packs
    mip hd axle kit

Fingers cross I get to put a few packs through it befor anything brakes again

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by raved007 View Post
    For me get FLM transmission case i recommended to everyone. It's a solid aluminum case
    Here is my mine
    Don't get aluminum. Too rear heavy. It will have huge handling negative effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Go Traxxas, Team Associated, and Losi!

RC poster
    How will it have negative handling effects ?
    Can't this be countered by a slighter higher rate spring ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you tune your suspension for the change in weight (springs and oil), you can tune out any adverse effects. In most cases the added rear weight will slightly help traction in the rear. Add the motor cooling effects and advantages far outweigh the disadvantages...