RC Qualifier

Gearing Question (again, lol)

Yes, yes, I know there have been lots of threads about gearing. But I have one question.
    I just found a 28t 48p pinion gear. Right now I'm running the cc sidewinder SCT 3800kv on 2s geared at 23/86 my temps are usually around 80 to 90 degF and on 3s it's crazy (in a fun way) today I hit 37mph. but the temps get to 130 degF or so. At what temp should I be concerned at? And would I be able to run 28/86? On 2s or will the motor run to hot? I'm still not a pro at gearing so, I wanted to check before I do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Anything under 160 is fine.
    160-180 is acceptable for short periods.
    Over 180 start worrying.

I ran that same motor with a 35/83 combo for extended periods of time with no issues. Of course the Slash was going like 40MPH continuously so there was some airflow...

RC Qualifier
    Wow, 35/83 that's insane! Ok I always have my temp gun ready, even when I know it will run fine. Anyways so I guess 28/86 is nothing, compared to what you have run

RC Qualifier
    i don't allow mine to go beyond 165
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

RC Champion
    So far I have found the 28/83 to be near ideal. Keep in mind that the air temp has been around 40deg. I contacted CC about a few concerns and a guy by the name Daniel replied. He stated that Neu Castle 4 pole motors are good till 200deg. Advised to try to shoot for 180 or less to be safe. Keep your temp gun close and you will be fine.

RC Qualifier
    Yes the air temps also have a lot to do with gearing, so what kind of speeds are you getting with that gearing?

RC Champion
    I have no idea. But on 2s its fast enough. 3s is just silly. I cant do anything but dig ditches with 3s. Keep in mind I am not running a Stock Chassis. I am much lighter than stock.

RC Qualifier
    What chassis? LCG?

RC Champion
    Its the Chuckworks Slice Db. LCG.

Same specs as the slash. Just a little more compact. And a lot lighter.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, sweet truck man! Looks sick, oh and BTW how are your badlands holding up, I got some for Xmas and the rear are staring to wear down a bit, maybe cause I spin the then to much on the road lol. They tear up my backyard so sometimes my dad gets mad, cause all you see is 2 little lines throughout the yard. Lol

RC Champion
    They hold up very well off road. On road they wear quick. And yes it leaves ditches through my yard. I have had the same set on one of my Nitro cars for about a year and a half. Still in great shape. The Badlands SC last longer than the 2.8 just because they don't swell as bad.
    Thanks, The truck is a beast. And since everything is centered, it handles like its on rails. I don't see full throttle often on the SPC 6500 65c 2s packs. It needs a lot of room to wind it out. If you just mash it. Your digging a ditch.

RC Qualifier
    Yup, easy way to make a backyard track, probably one of the best ways cause the truck is making it itself, just run it around for a few packs, lol I don't think my dad would be to happy then

RC Champion
    My kids have it made. I will make the track for them. I actually had a track for a couple years.

RC Qualifier
    Looks like a lot of fun, what do you mean by you HAD? Did u get rid of it?

RC Champion
    Yeah. It started to wash the soil away when it rained. I didn't want a ditch thru my yard. Plus I bought them both ATVs so they needed the space to run. But I don't care if they tear the yard up. Its grass. It will grow back. I mke it muddy myself running my ATV thru the yard.

RC Qualifier
    Yup, what do you like better rc's or atv's? Or what about a rc atv?

RC Champion
    I have been riding ATVs all my life. I also own property in Wv and without a 4 wheeler your not going very far. So I have to say ATVs. I am going to buy a new one in the next couple weeks. Just waiting to get all the goodies installed on it.

RC Qualifier
    So I ran a 2s pack through it today, ran great with 28/86 gearing. Temps were around 100 and 105degF roughly.
    Tomorrow morning I will do some speed runs on 2s and 3s, hopefully I will hit 40 or 45mph. My overall goal is 50, then I will be very happy. I probably won't get 50 with this gearing but maybe something a little higher. I will post results and maybe a video.