RC Racer

Slash on Artificial Terf

Found a park where the field was a little too green.. Closer inspection revealed it was fake grass with these little black rubberish sort of pellets to simulate dirt I guess?

Anyway the surface was much more grippy than grass and clean up which much easier. No dirt! Just these tiny little black pellets to blow off with an air compressor..

I'll def be going back there again..

Did you notice any difference in the temperature of your electronics when compared to running on real grass?
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Not that I could tell. Motor was at 150 running hard...

RC Qualifier
    Shouldn't be too much of a difference, but it may tear up your tires a but more than grass since the plastics used in turf is a bit harder than natural grass.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    The black pellets are used to provide traction when running, especially when raining. We have em at school for football.

I believe they are actually used to make the "grass" blades stand up since the fibers would otherwise naturally mat down, and also as shock absorption.

If I saw someone running a vehicle on one of our artificial turf fields, I'd do my best to have them removed, to the point of being arrested for destruction of public property.

I've been tempted to try running on one myself, but since it is not designed to withstand the sort of abuse our machines can generate, and unlike natural grass it is not self-renewing, I've kept my selfish impulses intact.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The rubber pellets are also good for water drainage. KSB, any chance that you remember that mud fest the Steelers and Dolphins had a couple of years ago at Heinz Field?

Very soon after, Pittsburgh installed this turf type for its water draining abilities.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post

If I saw someone running a vehicle on one of our artificial turf fields, I'd do my best to have them removed, to the point of being arrested for destruction of public property.
    A) Have them arrested?! Please tell me your not serious your not a psycho are you?
    B) I didn't do any damage to the field. Didn't even peel out.. Not even any torn grass. At most I picked up a very very small amount of those little pellets. Most of which I returned to the field simply by turning it upside down and shaking it off before I left. What was left when I got home were probablly less of those pellets than would have been stuck in a pair of kleets. And btw they were playing tackle football on the field today. With kleets. I'm quite certain that is MUCH harder on the field than my RC.
    C) I pay taxes to this city. In ridiculous amounts. Its my field too..
    Last edited by Jerry1234; 01-17-2014 at 06:24 PM.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on each of your points.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1234 View Post
    A) Have them arrested?! Please tell me your not serious your not a psycho are you?
    B) I didn't do any damage to the field. Didn't even peel out.. Not even any torn grass. At most I picked up a very very small amount of those little pellets. Most of which I returned to the field simply by turning it upside down and shaking it off before I left. What was left when I got home were probablly less of those pellets than would have been stuck in a pair of kleets. And btw they were playing tackle football on the field today. With kleets. I'm quite certain that is MUCH harder on the field than my RC.
    C) I pay taxes to this city. In ridiculous amounts. Its my field too..
    The synthetic turf fields can withstand plenty of punishment. 300lb men/boys tackling each other on it, constant pounding from running, kicking, rain, hail, spit, cleats. Saying a 6lb rc truck running over the top of the grass is damaging it, let alone wanting the person to be arrested is just ridiculous.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

If you think so, that's your prerogative. However, I've spoken to other parents as well as coaches, and I have not had anybody disagree with me.
    FWIW, the stresses that 300-pound men exert on the turf are very different from those a high powered RC vehicle can exert. The damage they can do is sometimes very disproportionate to their size and the cost of repair to the surface can also be disproportionate to their size.
    Perhaps think of this: I can destroy a baseball diamond with my Traxxas trucks much faster than my large frame ever could. How much does the difference in weight matter?
    Additionally, there is the domino effect to consider. Now I have no doubt that since the OP stated it, he was careful and did no damage. It's the example that concerns me. I've gotta be honest: all the considerable number of turf fields I have visited in the very recent past would forbid anything like a RC vehicle on its surface. Once others see the first person breaking that prohibition, there will be a second, third, and so on.
    I'm glad the OP lives in an area that's a bit more relaxed than the litigious Northeast. However, on some of the turf fútbol fields up here, if you mess up the surface or the other users simply object to your "alternative" use, getting thrown out or arrested could be the least of your problems.

Okay, we've got "psycho" and "ridiculous" so far. Anybody else?

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Okay, we've got "psycho" and "ridiculous" so far. Anybody else?

Now that's an invitation!!!!!

But seriously I have to agree with you. It's kinda like how when the local kids try to ride their bicycles on the local R/C track. You wouldn't think a bicycle would hurt a hard-packed clay track, but they definitely do. Especially when they fall down.

Many of the responses in this thread are just more examples of people ruining stuff for others with pure ignorance. You may not think you're doing any harm but, in reality, you really have no idea either way. And that's where the problem starts.

And yes, if the kids who were riding their bikes on the R/C track got caught in the act, I can guarantee you that the police would be called. Thousands of dollars worth of dirt invested. Do you think those kids have any idea?
    Last edited by harry697; 01-17-2014 at 08:29 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post

But seriously I have to agree with you. It's kinda like how when the local kids try to ride their bicycles on the local R/C track. You wouldn't think a bicycle would hurt a hard-packed clay track, but they definitely do. Especially when they fall down.

Many of the responses in this thread are just more examples of people ruining stuff for others with pure ignorance. You may not think you're doing any harm but, in reality, you really have no idea either way. And that's where the problem starts.

And yes, if the kids who were riding their bikes on the R/C track got caught in the act, I can guarantee you that the police would be called. Thousands of dollars worth of dirt invested. Do you think those kids have any idea?
    Why make assumptions about people? How do you know we don't have years of experience on turf fields? You are assuming the truck is damaging the field yet you do not know.

Time to close this thread as it's going nowhere fast.
    All those who believe psychokinesis raise my hand

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzforbrains View Post
    Why make assumptions about people? How do you know we don't have years of experience on turf fields? You are assuming the truck is damaging the field yet you do not know.

Time to close this thread as it's going nowhere fast.
    And you're assuming that the truck isn't damaging the field, yet you don't know. Difference is, I'm not the one who is gonna potentially find out the hard way. This just further confirms my initial statement. Also, I don't recall saying that any damage was being done. Simply said that you don't know either way.

As for closing the thread, best bet is to throw some more insults towards the marshal. Focusing on me is neither gonna help your point nor help get the thread closed.
    Last edited by harry697; 01-17-2014 at 10:02 PM.

RC Racer
    I have ran my mini revo to my losi 5ive t on turf with permission of owner. We did not hold back at all the several times we ran on it. There was not an ounce of damage. I am not saying damage cant be done but just letting you know I have done it without any caution , and all went well with no signs of damage.
    Thanks
    Cg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post

You would call the police on a bunch of kids on the bicycles? How about just talking to them like people. I found that if you explained to most kids the reasons behind certain rules- like lets say, no bikes on the RC track- they will be a lot more receptive, and most kids would probably respect what you're telling them as long as you treat them with respect. You were a kid once too.. Have a heart..

But to say that you would call the police for something like that is ridiculous. I'm sorry.

It's just not that big of a deal.
    Last edited by Jerry1234; 01-17-2014 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1234 View Post
    You would call the police on a bunch of kids on the bicycles? How about just talking to them like people. I found that if you explained to most kids the reasons behind certain rules- like lets say, no bikes on the RC track- they will be a lot more receptive, and most kids would probably respect what you're telling them as long as you treat them with respect. You were a kid once too.. Have a heart..

But to say that you would call the police for something like that is ridiculous. I'm sorry.

It's just not that big of a deal.
    You guys just keep reinforcing my first reply. I did build and operate an R/C track several years ago. It was at a large public facility with baseball fields, football fields, soccer fields, and even an old gravel pit in the back (perfect place for bikes). Yet kids kept riding on the R/C track. I caught them a few times and explained the situation politely. Guess what? They kept on doing it. The guy who originally ran the R/C track since the early 80's even put signs up, which still didn't help. He also went as far as to talk to some of the parents when possible. Still didn't help.

So for you to sit there and assume that I'm just some mean old guy who hates kids is the really ridiculous thing. This once again comes back to pure ignorance. It's an R/C track, not a bike track! To sit there and try to justify it is extremely ridiculous! If I was driving my pick-up truck in your front yard, would you come out and politely explain that it's your yard and not a public road? How about if you did and I came back once you went to work and did the same thing again? It's easy to make assumptions when your not actually in the position.

For the record, I'm 34 and still ride a BMX bike. I don't just hate on kids with bikes. I actually ride with them. But I ride at places that are meant for bikes. I'm not gonna jump a fence and throw my bike on someone else's R/C track and act like it's ok.