Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    4,061

    The LCG Chassis Really Isn't Any Better Than the Regular Chassis...

    I have recently moved to this area, I have been in the LHS a couple of time, not terribly impressed with it so far. This evening I was in and I asked about the Traxxas LCG Coversion kit. The guy behind the counter said that they were back ordered and that he did not know when they would get any in, no biggy and no surpise, was hoping he had one stashed away. Then he said something that floored me, "The LCG Chassis Really Isn't Any Better Than the Regular Chassis..."

    I told him that I did not want to disagree with him, but on this point I would. I have a PL LCG Slash and it is a completely different truck, the chassis really changes everything. I also told him that I wanted the chassis for a snow project I was working on.

    So that I am not going to waste my money, does anyone that has a Traxxas LCG chassis think that it is not an improvement over the HCG chassis? Small improvement, or a big improvement, like what I was when I installed the PL Pro2 chassis?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  2. #2
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    1,225
    Gigantic improvement, just like your pro line chassis.

    Sprint S4 | Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    I have recently moved to this area, I have been in the LHS a couple of time, not terribly impressed with it so far. This evening I was in and I asked about the Traxxas LCG Coversion kit. The guy behind the counter said that they were back ordered and that he did not know when they would get any in, no biggy and no surpise, was hoping he had one stashed away. Then he said something that floored me, "The LCG Chassis Really Isn't Any Better Than the Regular Chassis..."

    I told him that I did not want to disagree with him, but on this point I would. I have a PL LCG Slash and it is a completely different truck, the chassis really changes everything. I also told him that I wanted the chassis for a snow project I was working on.

    So that I am not going to waste my money, does anyone that has a Traxxas LCG chassis think that it is not an improvement over the HCG chassis? Small improvement, or a big improvement, like what I was when I installed the PL Pro2 chassis?
    I just did mine 2 days ago. I went to Brushless a week ago and the truck was very hard to handle. So put in the LCG kit. Huge difference. Night & Day.....

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    13,626
    I like it a lot 8)


    This will improve the handling of the truck over stock immensely. This is way stiffer than any race truck chassis I have seen. I dont care what its made of. It feels a little heavy, but its mostly all down low, right where an sct needs it. There is a ton of area that can be lightened up top if you want to mod it.

    I have not driven it, but its much better than the old one. Its obvious.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gurley, Alabama
    Posts
    794
    If your building a truck for snow wouldn't the hcg be a better choice.

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    13,626
    You still have to push the front bulk and rear trans through the snow. they are the same height as on the lcg. Deeper snow, taller tires 8)
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    4,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    If your building a truck for snow wouldn't the hcg be a better choice.
    Not really.
    I attempted snow driving with my Slash a couple of times, the back skid plate acts like a snow plow, stopping the truck in just a foot or so. For driving snow you can do one of two things, go through it (taller tires), or go over it (wider tires).

    Here is my mock-up for my snow-RC (haven't come up with a name for it yet):

    (Yes, I know the tires are on backwards)

    My intent was to use the Rusty chassis it on now, but I really want the longer WB of the Slash chassis. It will be a /BackSlash, I just don't know if I am going to use the Rusty front bumper, or aPro-2 front bumper.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. harry697's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    8,355
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Then he said something that floored me, "The LCG Chassis Really Isn't Any Better Than the Regular Chassis..."

    I have a funny feeling that your LHS owner is like too many other I've seen. Chances are he doesn't even run any r/c's. Did you notice if there were any cars sitting around the shop that look like they get used? There's one shop in my are and although they are very helpful, there isn't a single used r/c around nor are there any signs of r/c cars being run anywhere on the property. I like getting parts there but I never ask for any hands-on info from them because it's obvious that they're strictly into selling and not playing.

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    75
    Racing it, it is a HUGE improvement over stock. Like night and day huge. Traction rolled all the time with the stock high center have yet to with the low. Period

  10. #10
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    I have a funny feeling that your LHS owner is like too many other I've seen. Chances are he doesn't even run any r/c's. Did you notice if there were any cars sitting around the shop that look like they get used? There's one shop in my are and although they are very helpful, there isn't a single used r/c around nor are there any signs of r/c cars being run anywhere on the property. I like getting parts there but I never ask for any hands-on info from them because it's obvious that they're strictly into selling and not playing.
    My local hobbytown has turned into exactly that, all they are doing is selling, no actual knowledge about cars or anything. Hired a manager that doesn't know crap.

    Sprint S4 | Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    4,509
    Funny you guys think the HCG is better in snow, I like the LCG is better. In the HCG the skid plates dig into the snow, but in on the LCG the chassis just slides over things.
    2SummitE/TmaxxVillainSlash2&4SlayerPndeTeton

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    150
    I do own the traxxas LCG chassis but I have not had a chance to install it yet. I do however own the strc LCG and have been running that for almost a year.

    When I made the switch I found that I was really driving the truck way too violently. With the old HCG you have to throw the truck into a corner and spin the tires to keep it from hooking and rolling. I became very good at this and could easily run with other SCTs on track. I have several wins in the stock and mod classes with a mildly modded HCG.

    The STRC kit doesn't like to be driven that way and I found it difficult to adapt. I ran side by side with a buddy and noticed I was still throwing the truck around. After that I focused on being smooth and the truck became much easier to drive. While my lap time only dropped a half second or so it was an improvement. Honestly if you just stay upright the whole race you'll end up in the top three 99% of the time at the club level.

    Is there a difference. Yes. And it requires you to completely change how you drive.

    As for snow running. I would think the flat bottom would be better. Somewhere is seen a slash that has a flat plate screwed between the braces to make it flat.

    That guy was running across water with paddles and skies.

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    California, MO
    Posts
    185
    If you have the rusty chassis why not use the STRC kit? I just did one of mine with it and like the improvement in handling. I didn't go full slash (changing rear arms) because I just wanted a longer rusty. I have a hcg slash maybe I need to do some comparison runs with them.

  14. #14
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    4,061
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzr68 View Post
    If you have the rusty chassis why not use the STRC kit? I just did one of mine with it and like the improvement in handling. I didn't go full slash (changing rear arms) because I just wanted a longer rusty. I have a hcg slash maybe I need to do some comparison runs with them.
    I've thought about it. That Rusty pictured is an older chassis, Lipos don't fit right in it, so I'd have to get another chassis regardless. It's less expensive to get the Traxxas LCG.

    As innovative and well built as the STRC conversion is, I have never liked the look of it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    109

    Just had a chance to get mine out on the track today. I'm so happy with it now, made a huge difference in the way it handles. It is definitely worth the money, and very easy to switch over. Just a great all around kit!

    Sent from my S4 using tapatalk

  16. #16
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Then he said something that floored me, "The LCG Chassis Really Isn't Any Better Than the Regular Chassis..."
    Well, I for one will disagree with him too. I have a Slash 2wd "Modified" that I've been racing. I put the new LCG chassis together and ran it for the first time this weekend. I could drive that thing in the corner so hard that it's night and day difference.

  17. #17
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Basher 1 View Post
    I do own the traxxas LCG chassis but I have not had a chance to install it yet. I do however own the strc LCG and have been running that for almost a year.

    When I made the switch I found that I was really driving the truck way too violently. With the old HCG you have to throw the truck into a corner and spin the tires to keep it from hooking and rolling. I became very good at this and could easily run with other SCTs on track. I have several wins in the stock and mod classes with a mildly modded HCG.

    The STRC kit doesn't like to be driven that way and I found it difficult to adapt. I ran side by side with a buddy and noticed I was still throwing the truck around. After that I focused on being smooth and the truck became much easier to drive. While my lap time only dropped a half second or so it was an improvement. Honestly if you just stay upright the whole race you'll end up in the top three 99% of the time at the club level.

    Is there a difference. Yes. And it requires you to completely change how you drive.

    As for snow running. I would think the flat bottom would be better. Somewhere is seen a slash that has a flat plate screwed between the braces to make it flat.

    That guy was running across water with paddles and skies.
    I know exactly in how you described your driving with stock. I do the same with mine right now. (Just a backyard track racer)
    I just picked up a mid engine st and felt just as you described.

  18. #18
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kyles974 View Post
    I know exactly in how you described your driving with stock. I do the same with mine right now. (Just a backyard track racer)
    I just picked up a mid engine st and felt just as you described.
    I just began RC again after 15 years sidelined. I raced a Losi XXX-T back in the day. I chose stock Slash class to get my feet wet again. I am having one heck of a time driving this truck around a track without traction rolling in most every corner. That never happened with the low slung XXX-T. I'm researching LCG chassis and Rusty conversions and I haven't found one I like or willing to pay for either. The closest conversion I've considered is stretching a Rusty chassis with 2 chassis to make 1. I'm a welder & fabricator by day. So I've decided to use an old Rusty I have as a template to fabricate my own double deck LCG chassis myself for the Slash

  19. #19
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    39
    I have the slash LCG and it's a HUGE difference in the car.

  20. #20
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    11
    LCG is a definite step up in handling. It runs smoother through thick dirt at high speeds. It will kind of skate over rough patches of grass if you get off the track. Landing jumps is smoother. It doesn't hang up on the rear skid plate at all, and the LCG is a bit stiffer than the stock chassis.
    When switching over I had to change shock positions and springs/oil to compensate for the LCG. And you will have to drill holes to use a ball bearing bell crank with through bolts.

    The biggest improvement t for me though was that the trans case sits on the chassis and has a stronger joint, vs the hcg to trans connection.

    I've been using 10mil or 20mil tape on the bottom of the chassis to keep down on scratching it up:-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •