Thread: Kids

RC Racer

Kids

My problem tonight was kids.. Tonight for the 3rd time a kid comes over and says "can I try it?". I don't mind when they're curious and they come over and want to see it.. I'll usually bring it down real low and then grab it so they can see what it looks like.. Don't mind their curiosity or them asking questions but, is it me or is it rude for kids to ask a total stranger "can I try it?"

And by the way these kids are young - under 10 and parents nowhere in sight- I could be a kidnapper for all they know..

I would not allow my son out of my sight in a public park.. Matter-of-fact last week I hear screaming while I'm flying The alias, I walk around to investigate and find a group of kids with one laying on the floor in the racquetball court.

Again no adults -no supervision -no parents- I'm now the only adult in a scene where there is a hysterical kid who's hurt and there's no parents to be found.. Did my best to calm him down, dialed 911, paramedics took him... He had run full speed into the racquetball court concrete wall and had a knot sticking out of his head the size of a golf ball..

Where are all these kids parents!? And I don't mean to sound like I'm stereotyping but all these kids ... Well let's just say their parents are immigrants.. I talked to another dad at the park- this dad was with his son- and he said, "Oh yeah, doesn't surprise me, that's how these people roll around here."

#EndRant
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 01-10-2014 at 11:24 PM.

RC Competitor
    I wouldn't worry about one or more kid asking if they could try flying your Alias. Some are more forthright than others. If there was only one or two, I'd consider granting his/her request.

As for them being 'out and about without adult supervision,' that was the norm when I was their age, and I lived in the city of Cleveland. The times have changed, and the whys are best left for a different forum.

RC poster
    I have the same problem. I used to drive my revo near a park. It was perfect big open fields, big mounds of dirt and a small skate park. It would attract a heard of kids wanting to watch it or try it out which I would decline. 50mph 8lb rocket hitting a kid wasnt very appealing. One day I noticed a cop watching me the whole time and I decided to play with it some place else. My girlfriend now calls my erevo the "Pedo-Truck"

RC Racer
    Now thats funny! The Pedo-Truck! Lmbo! <- had to edit this acronym since the filter starred me initially..

A few weeks ago there was a kid at the park driving his HPI drift car with his dad. He asked to try my Alias, which I declined, since it is much more difficult than a car to operate and keep under control. But I felt bad so I told him I'd let him try my RC-10 (which is pretty slow running on Ni-Mh) and I thought what harm could there be on a wide open field? And he already drives his own car, so this will be fine. Wrong. He promply crashed it into the fence at full speed. Bad on me for using bad judgemet. His dad starts yelling at him, kid starts crying.. Awkward for me.. His father apologized to me and offerred to pay me but it just broke a minor $5 plastic part so I told him not to worry about it..

No more kids driving my cars. Except mine. But he only wants to drive the real car. Caught him stealing it once. I've since learned to hide keys from teenagers.. But thats a whole other story..
    Last edited by Jerry1234; 02-07-2014 at 02:20 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    reminds me of the times when I was running around like a little hooligan. I did something almost exactly like the kid in the raquetball court. I got home, and my parents had a look at me. I got a bag of ice for the lump and carried on.

Something tells me the parents of those kids are pretty similar. as long as they didn't get hurt too bad and got home before dark, all will be okay.