RC Competitor

From Scratch 2WD Trophy Truck inspired by Cyconxc's build

Hey there, i am starting to build a 1/10 2wd trophy truck from scratch based off of Cyconxc's truck.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...k-Build-Thread

I have most of the truck (in parts) and ready for Fabrication. Designing most of the truck as i go basing the main frame of the design off of Xc's truck. I will be doing this project over time, hoping to have it ready to go by spring in a few months.

Just a look at what i have to start with so far.

I'll post more as it progresses

Good luck to you on your build! Looks like you already have a good start. I will be looking forward to seeing what progress you make!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Assembled the front end and card board cut outs of the chassis will be doing the axle and more soon.

Got the Axle ready to go, putting together my SCTE Diff and checking the wheel length with the body, have to change around the chassis design a little for the trailing arm mounts.

Last edited by cooleocool; 02-01-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Hi there! Looks like a good start!

Although it looks to me that wheelbase is quite short for a standard SC body size. I believe this is because of short trailing arms. Did you consider to make bottom plate a bit longer?

RC Competitor
    Yea i am changing the chassis and also the way it looks in the picture is deceiving i can get the wheels correct with the body's wheel base, but i will be making the chassis to correct width and length for the trailing arms axle and front end. Just a little bit of reworking :-)

i will post more soon got some more progress done.

Finished putting the Axle together has the diff cover and internals all in, locking hpi hex nuts and trailing arms mounts.
    Have the cardboard cut outs for the rear pieces together, going to need more screws. Welded the pin on the Center Diff.

Last edited by cooleocool; 02-01-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Looks like a good start. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Competitor
    i got the trailing arms on, had to grind down the ball cups inside the trailing arms were too wide to fit into the mounts, cut the body out and sanded the edges smooth, working on the axle shafts now and the steering linkage and tie rods.

RC Qualifier
    Looks good! Your trailing arms look a little short...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Competitor
    They are the Vaterra Twin Hammer Trailing Arms Black by vanquish products.
    http://www.vanquishproducts.com/vatwhatrarbl.html

i am changing the chassis that one is just the 1st one i cut out modeled after Cycon's my truck wont be the same as his, just based off the same design, but yes i think they are shorter then the RC4WD Hardcore Scale Trailing Arms, but those are discontinued.
    http://www.rc4wdforum.com/showthread...e-Trailing-Arm

Got the steering links and drive shaft on, threw on some rims and tires to see how it looks.

Last edited by cooleocool; 02-01-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: merge

RC poster
    Could you write down a list of parts to me what man needs to build a Tropy Truck? Thanks in advance Turk3y

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by quadsatv View Post
    Got the steering links and drive shaft on, threw on some rims and tires to see how it looks.

Can't see the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakesurfer98 View Post
    Can't see the pics.
    The pictures work just fine for me.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakesurfer98 View Post
    Can't see the pics.
    im not sure they are showing up for me, what web browser you on? and do you have any updates waiting?

RC Racer
    Holy cow! Another solid axle build. Double awesome! How feasable do you think it is to try the solid axle on a 4x4 Slash?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by turk3y View Post
    Could you write down a list of parts to me what man needs to build a Tropy Truck? Thanks in advance Turk3y
    Each truck build is different but i got most of the idea from Cycon's thread he helped me a great deal to get started.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...k-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DoppelGanger13 View Post
    Holy cow! Another solid axle build. Double awesome! How feasable do you think it is to try the solid axle on a 4x4 Slash?
    im sure it could work if done correctly

Got the Diff together and cut out mounts for the trailing arms. the pin was not straight so i cut it back out have to re weld it.

Tried to come up with a idea to make the pin fit into the diff cup better to make it easier to weld. What i came up with was grinding down a nut to just barely fit inside of it snug, although its too far down inside of it to make it stable up at the top. So the base of the pin is snug and centered now but the top still moves a bit and makes it hard to get it centered and straight.

I also ordered a set of four shocks more wheel bearings a axial sway bar kit Some new Scale DE racing SC wheels and some body mount posts for the rear mount. But i just woke up this morning with 2 feet of snow on my deck so i probably wont be seeing the packages for a bit.

Right now i am working on trying to figure out what battery i should buy and what gearing i should use as this is my 1st electric build im not 100% sure what im doing :-) so any help would be appreciated. I have the Sidewinder SCT combo.

From what i have read so far i think i need a 2s lipo and 14T - 19T. Also im not sure what i am missing to put the gears on the motor. What else do i need to buy?

I'll post some pics soon

Last edited by cooleocool; 04-25-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    nice projet! keep posting pictures.

RC Competitor
    So this is what i have

How do i get from that, to this

I been looking on youtube for a video to assemble or disassemble or change gearing but have not found a detailed one yet.

Any help on what i need to buy or on how to put it together would be Appreciated as this is my 1st electric motor.

This is what im use to working on

RC Qualifier
    You should ask cyconxc how he did his exactly

RC Competitor
    yea i posted already on his thread no reply yet just thought id post on here aswell. I am just not Familar with all the parts and pieces and how they go together, as i am not replacing a motor in a already built truck but making 1 right from scratch and have never had a electric before, other then the radio shack ones when i was little.

i think this is what Cycon has and what im missing
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Novak-Mo...item4d181725d1

Got my shocks today and the DE racing SC wheels. What is your guys opinion on shock oil for a heavier truck around 5lbs?
    im going to try this ae 40 shock oil for now. I ordered ESC mount and Front sway bar and a 13t gear for my motor so those should be here by friday along with my Bearings for the wheels, body post mounts and the rear sway bar.

Now i need to find a battery and probably a charger, also with this motor kit i have i think i need deans connectors to solder on to the ends?

What is recommended for 2WD SCT around 5lbs?
    The Castle guide suggests 2s lipo, this is what i was looking at but id like to hear other peoples opinions and experiences. Also it states that you need a certain type of charger for the battery and i think this one i have will not work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331122273238...84.m1423.l2649

Real quick here's what i was referring to with the Deans Connectors.

Last edited by cooleocool; 04-25-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier

I don't think you need it have a specific kind of plug, many people have different opinions. I've never tried the deans myself though. The charger you posted a pic of definitely shouldn't be used as it is a timed charger and doesn't have any sort of lipo mode lol. The venom one you linked should work though.

Great build man,
    I am wondering where did you get the rear hard core diffs, I am actually looking to buy those for a project on 2wd pede
    Thanks
    Live life to the fullest

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    I don't think you need it have a specific kind of plug, many people have different opinions. I've never tried the deans myself though. The charger you posted a pic of definitely shouldn't be used as it is a timed charger and doesn't have any sort of lipo mode lol. The venom one you linked should work though.
    Ok cool so that charger is included with the battery and that battery is Decent i am assuming. I still need a connector for my esc though, i kind of wish they just came with one already on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Great build man,
    I am wondering where did you get the rear hard core diffs, I am actually looking to buy those for a project on 2wd pede
    Thanks
    This is where i got this Axle
    http://store.rc4wd.com/Aluminum-Rear...k-_p_2495.html

And the mount here
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-TEN-SCT...item5660ca0381

Diff cover
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ST-Racing-Cn...item4d18b63571

Diff
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Axial-Wraith...item565efe185a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-TEN-SCT...item5d4955916a

lock outs
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fumi-Alloy-R...item20dbe06bcd

Bearings
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-PART...item4d001d7eaa

Trailing arm / shock mounts
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing-W...item3cdc4b1aed

Hex hubs
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HPI-Raci...item43c2e00e6e

That should be everything minus the wheels and arms to complete the rear end. Hope this helps

Going for this look

Got my Body mount posts and Axial Sway bar in.

Got some spare shocks i had out for the front end, They rubbed on the a-arm a little so i dremeled it down a bit and got them mounted.

I Cut out a new Chassis design on Cardboard that should better fit the trailing arms and correct the wheel length for a SCT. I also Redid the rear pieces and extended the back of it more so that the spare tires would mount on it properly, the old one i had was too short.

Tried drilling some holes but broke 2 of my drill bits so i had to go get some new ones, i will have to re drill now.

Also got my sway bar and 13t gear now.

Last edited by cooleocool; 04-25-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    Any updates?

RC Competitor
    Yes i have more that i will update soon, sorry i have a new shift i started i do not get home till midnight, ill try to upload some tonight.

Sorry i have been busy recently, but i have slowly been working on the build when i have some spare time. I recently just quickly put together this rolling chassis, i need to trim it a bit to shorten the wheel base, once i get it where i want it and make sure that the holes are drilled where they need to be ill cut out the aluminum plate.
    I also was fiddling around with the sway bar, but i will probably end up getting slash 4x4 front a-arms and mounting it on those. Yes the front is crooked the Cardboard tore where its mounted.

Last edited by cooleocool; 04-25-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Can't. See. Pics. Ahhh.

RC Competitor

RC Qualifier
    Ooh looking good! Just do that with some metal and you'll be set lol. Where is the battery going to sit?

RC Competitor
    I want to make a flat tray over the top of the SCT diff, i made the L a bit longer in the cut out, i might make it even wider when i cut the metal so there is more room for the battery. Just don't want to effect the integrity of the rear end by weakening it.

Something like this, i need to see how much clearance is needed 1st for the motor and diff, ill probably end up reworking it.
    It has also been suggested to place the battery in the back, not sure how the weight distribution would be though.

RC Competitor
    Just picked up these 8/32 Rod so i Can make links

RC Enthusiast
    MAN! you help me alot! Thanks! now I have every thing what i need to build mine! but, mine is nitro, i hope that isn't a problem, again man, Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Any updates?

RC Champion
    Looks really good so far!
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Qualifier
    How's it coming along?

RC Competitor
    I haven't been on in a while, haven't gotten any further, sorry i am recovering from a accident, i broke my collar bone and Cracked my C7 in a atv motocross Crash. Throttle stuck wide open on me and i went through a fence on my friends quad. im still in a neck brace but i am able to move around now, i should be back it it in a month or so. You can also follow my youtube channel for more Recent activity i haven't been on here as much but will be more in the near future.
    http://youtu.be/LChqN56tqak?list=UUp...MYfeogx2tZLDzg

RC Qualifier

Nevermind...

RC Qualifier
    I haven't been on in a while, haven't gotten any further, sorry i am recovering from a accident, i broke my collar bone and Cracked my C7 in a atv motocross Crash. Throttle stuck wide open on me and i went through a fence on my friends quad. im still in a neck brace but i am able to move around now, i should be back it it in a month or so. You can also follow my youtube channel for more Recent activity i haven't been on here as much but will be more in the near future.
    Man I completely forgot about your crash! I'm glad you're doing alright. Getting the throttle stuck is always a fear with quads. Like I said, hoping you're have a speedy recovery
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Man I completely forgot about your crash! I'm glad you're doing alright. Getting the throttle stuck is always a fear with quads. Like I said, hoping you have a speedy recovery
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Competitor
    Thanks Cycon