Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Racer
    I just put about 8 packs through with the new motor. All are good!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC poster
    Thought I'd ease up on the quad for a while and see if that would reduce the 'consumables'.. Replaced the 5th motor this morning after a few packs of living room hovering. I love the Alias to bits but its becoming expensive to maintain rapidly..

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

RC poster

Motor failure

I have replace 4 motors in two weeks. Out of motors and out of the country ( Grenada ). How can i get new motors?

RC Enthusiast
    Don't know about the whole impact landing ruining motors as I catch mine in air and no crashes an on #6 motor. I seem to get an average of 5 batteries +\- before I get a failure. Traxxas has been great as far as support as they have sent me 4 to date but just got tired of the long wait time so started buying my own. Not traxxas fault for wait as not enough stock for such a new product yet. So yah... Don't know why mine keep blowing as I have not crashed yet and catch mine in air instead of landing. But do fly hard in open gym once In a while. Don't think it's cause of small size either as I have other quads (mini and micro) that have had no issues with their tiny brushed motors. Don't know if "coreless" is different than what alias uses. Any way just some input on the landing hurts motors theory. I'd gladly send in my 6 burnt out motors to traxxas if it would help em figure out a fix, cause it is indeed a great quad. It's my favorite when the motors are working. Two thumbs up for traxxas support and the help of the moderators. Keep up the great work.

RC poster
    Sadly I'm on the wrong side of the ocean and my experience with support from both the LHS and distributor are nothing but horrible. The Alias now has burnt its original motors and the 4-pack I bought to replace the first motor and is currently catching dust.
    Despite the reminders I received no feedback from the LHS , after they asked me to send the first burnt motor it all went quiet, tried the distributor and received a 'template' reply; "never heard of the issue" "your the first to report this and please contact your local hobby shop"...
    Absolutely loved the alias but hate to say that local support really killed it for me...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry to hear that man, I've had the opposite support from traxxas. Been really good to me. Don't know why they wouldn't help you out as well. They have replaced 4 of the 6 that failed on me but I hear ya...it gets expensive quick when their is a problem that support won't fix or work with you to solve it. Did traxxas say they wouldn't help you? Don't know why they wouldn't. Their is a clear problem with at least the first run of motors. I use my alias sparingly now until problem is fixed. I know that doesn't help your situation out though, sorry bud. Good luck though.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thanks, I've heard similar stories about the great support traxxas US is providing, here in the EU things are slightly different, they didn't tell me they won't help me, they simply don't respond... I'm giving it another go today trying to find a number to call if that fails I'm out of options. 'No we can't help you' is also an answer, at least then I know what I can expect but not responding at all is simply disrespectful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    After reading the posts I started to think that maybe the motors aren't the only possible problem. I took the props off and looked at the bearings. They are pretty open and seemed like they could get dirty easily. This added friction would seem to cause the motors to heat up more than they should. I looked around and there are some shielded ceramic bearings bearings on ebay for $10 bucks shipped. I have not gotten a chance to use them yet but I figured $10 now might be better than $40 later.

Bearings are 3x6x2 according to the exploded view. You could purchase new ones for $1/each at Avid RC though they do not have shields on them. I have never had issues with Avid and would continue to purchase though them again; though I don't know if I would fully trust off-brand on eBay.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Well I too have motor troubles and after only say 15-20 flights.
    Here are some pics from my dismembered motors using a micro pic tool.
    It is definitely the brushes are burning up either the neg or the plus.

[IMG]/Users/ownermac/Desktop/V959 motor pics[/IMG]

Well I can't figure how to up load them here. I'll do it on Youtube.

You have to upload your pictures to an outside image hosting website. See this how-to for more info.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Me personally have given up.
    I'm done with the total lack of communications from both my local supplier and distributor. After repeated reminders , calls I keep getting the silence treatment. Sorry to be negative , loved the alias but after sales has killed it this time.
    I've been very loyal with traxxas and very patient with my replies to dealer and distributor assuming they would take care of me. Another lesson learned.

Traxxas US support please chime in and reach out for your overseas customers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    OK
    After going over 5 motors under a microscope, it is clear that the brushes have burned up due to heat and or abrasion.
    If its not a OEM error due to the brushes or armature then think I know why??
    There is no ventilation for this end of the motor. If you look you'll see my point. Sooo I have now removed the black rubber landing plugs and the stickers that are covering the ventilation holes and thinking about grinding off or drilling more holes in the removable plastic arm. It would be great if we could get others to try this. I did mine today and put 4 packs thru it so far. I'll be in touch. Scoty

RC poster
    Im just removing the stickers off my new alias motors. its unbelievable. they stuck them right over the vent holes.
    So now I have the thing set up without the rubber landing plugs and the motor stickers removed.

scoty

RC poster
    OK
    After going over 5 motors under a microscope, it is clear that the brushes have burned up due to heat and or abrasion.
    There is no ventilation for this end of the motor. If you look you'll see my point. Sooo I have now removed the black rubber landing plugs and the stickers that are covering the ventilation holes and thinking about grinding off or drilling more holes in the removable plastic arm. It would be great if we could get others to try this. I did mine today and put 4 packs thru it so far. I'll be in touch. Scoty

RC poster
    any update on this ? did these changes have any positive effect ?

Quote Originally Posted by scofen View Post
    OK

RC Racer
    I put a set of Boca bearings in my Alias. They were $12 shipped for the set. I noticed during flying my Alias was slightly quieter and I got maybe 3 extra minutes of flight time.
    Pede VXL Slash 4x4 Platinum Mini Erevo Vxl

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan93civic View Post
    I put a set of Boca bearings in my Alias. They were $12 shipped for the set. I noticed during flying my Alias was slightly quieter and I got maybe 3 extra minutes of flight time.
    You didn't go ceramic did you? Just regular steelies like what the alias comes with?

Sprint S4 | Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh298 View Post
    You didn't go ceramic did you? Just regular steelies like what the alias comes with?

Sprint S4 | Tapatalk 2
    I looked at the Boca site and he must have gone with what they call the "Econo Pack" as they are $12 for a set. The ceramic bearing set they offer is closer to $40
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    Yep the regular metal set.

RC Champion
    Why is it such an improvement over stock if they are still regular old steel bearings?

Sprint S4 | Tapatalk 2
    MM|2200kv 2WD LCG Slash - MM2|2650kv LCG Slash 4x4

RC Racer
    I bought the Boca bearings for 2 reasons. First they are sealed and I live in a dusty area so they have a less chance of getting dirt inside. 2nd is Boca bearings are known to be top notch in the R/C field.

RC Enthusiast
    I found that with motors with better brushes have the ability to fry aka over load the main board if the overload safety doesn't engage.. ex prop shaft bent due to crash/ causing motor to increase load (on electronics) resulting in over heating/fire... May be 1 reason brushes fail, to give first instead of the main board>

RC poster
    YEs I think it worked very well. I put lots of sessions in but now lost her somewhere in space. SO I can't give you any more updates till they start to sell the Alias on its own. Not buying any more, because I already have three controllers and NO birds.

RC Racer
    Dude. You need to find a more open place to fly.

Or take up RC cars.

RC Enthusiast
    Did you know you don't have to use the traxxas motors. If you go to (micro motor warehouse. com) They make a set of motor that work perfect for the alias. I put some on my Latrax and have got 120 flights on them. They seem to have a heck of alot more power and speed. And better flight time. I have wreck tons of times and not one single problem.