Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

I think I found flaw in motors for Alias

So I got myself a alias. Love it soo fun to fly. So I went out and got another one. Boy its fun flying 2 of them at same time. With 2 people of course. My first alias I'm still waiting on replacement motors from traxxas latrax. So I went out and bought 6634 pack of 4 motors. I have gone threw 3 of them already in last 4 hours. Noticing that when I land alias or if it comes down and hits the bottom on the floor is the weak spot. (Rubber feet hitting concrete or asphalt) I was doing the 5 flip and last one hit the ground right where rubber feet are and bam front left motor went out. Replaced and had a similar incident happen again only bam back left motor hit and instantly stopped spinning. One motor feels like its real tight when spinning. Other mother free spins by hand but nothing when power to it. Hopefully traxxas can fix this because I know have 2 alias down for motors and I gotta order more and not about to go pay another 38$ for motors. Please fix traxxas.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I share your sympathy, love the Alias but it does need motor upgrades fast, after 3 burnt motors I took the time to have a look inside and found that the "brushes" are indeed the weakest link. I haven't hit the concrete while landing hard or crashed into something else but after several flips and 'aggressive' turns and can only assume that whenever auto-leveling from a aerobatics the Alias draws a bit too much current which burns the tiny tiny 'brushes' in the motor..

crappy iPhone pic but clearly visible the left side still intact , the right only has 1 of 3 contacts left..

RC Racer
    O yea I can see it real good. well I hope traxxas figure out to strengthen the motor brushes. I should check my old ones and see. Thanks for pic and info

RC Racer
    Shhhh you guys better stop talking about this. The mods don't like this topic lol... They will probably lock this thread... But don't worry, I'm sure the guys at Traxxas hq are already on the phone with China telling them to beef up the next batch of motors... And to their credit I think Traxxas has been pretty good with the folks who have had motors go out do far.. Myself included.. although its been 15 days since I spoke with Traxxas and my motor has yet to arrive. I hope it's at least on its way..

I agree it could be hard landings that contribute to motor failure.. My advice is don't land on concrete. Only land on grass. Or even better.. I just fly mine down to just above my height (within arms reach), get it in a stable hover, then just grab it from below with two fingers... Then once I've got it kill the throttle. No shock at all this way..

RC Racer
    I agree they definitely have taken care of me in sending out replacements for this slash and qr-1. I have been doing that recently. Flying it back to my hand. I like talks of a return back to transmitter function later on down the road. Mainly a camera would be awesome. But yes much better having it fall in hand. Most of time it happens when I do the 5 flips and last one always pulls it down a bit and tends to just touch n hit ground before the pull goes up. One heck of a quad chopper traxxas. Major props for it and hope they nail the motors getting beefy. Fly on and have fun

RC poster
    this quad is so fantastic i could not imagine traxxas not taking care of the motor issue they did everything else perfect when they drew the little dude up i love it motor trouble or not..................

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry1234 View Post
    Shhhh you guys better stop talking about this. The mods don't like this topic lol...
    I'm sorry, but it's not the topic that this sub-forum's Marshals have a problem with. The problem is with the way in which some members have chosen to go about talking about this topic.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Traxxas Employee
    I have come down hard on the pads many, many times and I seriously doubt that has anything to do with motor failure. A sudden drop may expose a flaw that already exists in your motors, but I've done 30' drops onto solid concrete several times with no adverse effects. I have been through 3 of my original 4 motors, but I also carried around a camera and a DR-1 helicopter for several battery packs each and that definitely does stress the motors.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I'm sorry, but it's not the topic that this sub-forum's Marshals have a problem with. The problem is with the way in which some members have chosen to go about talking about this topic.
    what would you consider is an acceptable way, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
    what would you consider is an acceptable way, then?
    Not speaking for cooleocool but has a member of the mod staff....constrictive criticism is fine, stating your issue in a respectful way is fine. What is not acceptable is stating it over and over again in every thread especially when it is not the topic of the thread. Bashing is not acceptable, making a statement that is just negative with no explanation like but not limited to "it is junk and totally worthless" helps no one and does not explain what the problem really is. In short the forum is here so members can help each other it is not here to complain or bash on Traxxas. Ranting over and over again does little to no good for anyone.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Racer
    I'm tending to go along with theory of RobertE. There have been several owners with many flights with no failure. There have been several owners with premature failure, myself included. I only had 12 flights. It "seems" those that max out the abilities of the quad in FAST mode are the one with the short motor life. I fly it in wind, fly it fast, and have it do many flips with every charge. I didn't see any caution against this in the manual. I think it's those that fly it mildly in nearly now wind with the occational flip that are seeing prolonged motor life.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertE View Post
    From the picture, one could theorize that the burnt brush had more pressure on the commutator than other. Note the clear yellow blob. I assume its hard resin. There is much more of this resin in the burnt brush making the free section of the brush shorter and thus less flexible than the other brush. Im going to open my dead motor tonight to see if it looks similar.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by metoo2 View Post
    Im going to open my dead motor tonight to see if it looks similar.
    VERY interested in your findings,

since I'm based in EU I can only rely on the help of the LHS to get the motor replaced, I've sent the first 2 motors for warranty replacement so wasn't able to check those, I can only assume there is a reasonable limit on the number of motors I can sent in for replacement.
    Let's hope for a quick resolution from our friends @ Traxxas

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Not speaking for cooleocool but has a member of the mod staff....constrictive criticism is fine, stating your issue in a respectful way is fine. What is not acceptable is stating it over and over again in every thread especially when it is not the topic of the thread. Bashing is not acceptable, making a statement that is just negative with no explanation like but not limited to "it is junk and totally worthless" helps no one and does not explain what the problem really is. In short the forum is here so members can help each other it is not here to complain or bash on Traxxas. Ranting over and over again does little to no good for anyone.
    Absolutely. It's a new product, which I love to bits. But also, it's a new product, and with anything new, there will be growing pains. My intent (and I seriously hope you understand this) is simply to bring to light that there could be a possible issue. Now, I say possible because I cannot say for certain. Not enough data to support a solid consensus. Coreless motors burn out, that's a fact of life and it's been this way since the brushed motor was invented. But there's also the possibility of a bad batch of motors (which does happen), and I hope it works itself out soon.

I'll do everything in my power to help out anyone and everyone involved in the hobby. After all; none of us would be here if no one helped us.

I concur with your viewpoint on bashing also. It does nothing but hurt and annoy everyone involved.

RC Racer
    Could a Traxxas employee confirm the motors are out shipping? I was told on the phone a week and a half ago that they were starting to ship them out? I have yet to receive. I'm really looking forward to using my one Christmas present again LOL! Thanks!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradens Traxxas View Post
    Could a Traxxas employee confirm the motors are out shipping? I was told on the phone a week and a half ago that they were starting to ship them out? I have yet to receive. I'm really looking forward to using my one Christmas present again LOL! Thanks!
    We do have limited motors on hand right now, but we should be getting more very soon. Please keep in mind everything is a little backed up from the Christmas rush. Our warehouse staff has been working hard to get out all the orders, but this is our busiest time of the year by far. It has been taking a couple extra days to accommodate everyone.

RC Racer
    Ok, thanks!
    MERV, Broken Alias.

RC poster
    Then let me ask this since there is such a shortage such as motors and batteries can we give links to replacement's that are other than Traxxas ? I do not think that having to wait for them to get shipments in and our Quad that we purchased from them sitting on a shelf because of it is fair at all but that is just my feelings about the subject. Also I do not condone bashing in any manner or trolling but I do not see the problem to have other sources of repair other than traxxis when things are not readily available for purchase.
    Last edited by moe3754; 01-08-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moe3754 View Post
    Then let me ask this since there is such a shortage such as motors and batteries can we give links to replacement's that are other than Traxxas ? I do not think that having to wait for them to get shipments in and our Quad that we purchased from them sitting on a shelf because of it is fair at all but that is just my feelings about the subject. Also I do not condone bashing in any manner or trolling but I do not see the problem to have other sources of repair other than traxxis when things are not readily available for purchase.
    I refer you to the rules we all agreed to follow when we created out accounts on the Traxxas forum...

Quote Originally Posted by The Rules
    11. Linking to online retailers. Posting links to online retailers is permitted ONLY as a means of identifying a product or part so users can better understand which part(s) you use or recommend. If you are identifying a Traxxas part, link to www.buytraxxas.com to identify it. Links to promotions or contests are not permitted. Linking to online stores solely for the purpose of indicating where to find the lowest price is not permitted and is not the purpose of this forum. Note: Traxxas does not permit links to certain retailers. Links to these retailers will appear starred-out. Review your post and delete any starred out links. Updated 12/30/2011
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    I refer you to the rules we all agreed to follow when we created out accounts on the Traxxas forum...
    So in other words NO Nuff Said!

I may have made a mistake joining here I have a hard time with forums that do not allow their members to pass along things that can improve the quality time with the product they purchased and also rule quoting gestapo mods. I have already read the rules I do that before I join any forum but I have also found that good mods have allowed moderate bending of the rules from time to time being a Ex mod from many RC forums. I find that is not the case here, more's the pity.
    Last edited by moe3754; 01-08-2014 at 02:32 PM.

I may have made a mistake joining here I have a hard time with forums that do not allow their members to pass along things that can improve the quality time with the product they purchased and also rule quoting gestapo mods. I have already read the rules I do that before I join any forum but I have also found that good mods have allowed moderate bending of the rules from time to time being a Ex mod from many RC forums. I find that is not the case here, more's the pity.
    Most other forums are a general discussion about many brands--save for a few that are brand specific like this one. This is a Traxxas-only forum and Traxxas grants us a privilege to do so, not a right. Regardless of how long someone has been here or their status, we do not get special bending of rules.
    The Super Derecho

If you feel calling moderators "gestapo" is appropriate then you are right you made a mistake joining here. You asked a simple question I gave you a simple answer. If you took any time at all to look around you might see the rules are "bent" and the moderators do make judgement calls. That being said as a rule we will not say it is okay to ignore the rules and do as you please which seems to be the answer you were looking for.

This post would easily qualify for a flaming or personal attack infraction but I am using my discretion and bending the rules for you this one time
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Traxxas Employee
    There are growing pains anytime you bring a new product to market. We designed the Alias completely in-house and all the parts are unique to the Alias. On the plus side, the Alias was a runaway success. The downside of that is that we are still trying to catch up with the demand for parts and accessories. A new batch of motors just arrived to take care of our customers who had failures. More motors are on the way. Traxxas has always taken good care of its customers and will continue to do so. Hang in there, motors are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    Traxxas has always taken good care of its customers and will continue to do so.
    I must politely disagree with this. Traxxas has been great in this respect. Though there are always those who aren't pleased...there is no pleasing some people.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by OnenOnlyCanuck View Post
    So I got myself a alias. Love it soo fun to fly. So I went out and got another one. Boy its fun flying 2 of them at same time. With 2 people of course. My first alias I'm still waiting on replacement motors from traxxas latrax. So I went out and bought 6634 pack of 4 motors. I have gone threw 3 of them already in last 4 hours. Noticing that when I land alias or if it comes down and hits the bottom on the floor is the weak spot. (Rubber feet hitting concrete or asphalt) I was doing the 5 flip and last one hit the ground right where rubber feet are and bam front left motor went out. Replaced and had a similar incident happen again only bam back left motor hit and instantly stopped spinning. One motor feels like its real tight when spinning. Other mother free spins by hand but nothing when power to it. Hopefully traxxas can fix this because I know have 2 alias down for motors and I gotta order more and not about to go pay another 38$ for motors. Please fix traxxas.

Not being a electrical engineer I wonder if landing on hard surfaces are in fact causing the brushes or small wires to dislodge and causing partial or complete motor failure. I am a complete novice and I was simply trying to learn to fly the quad. I never really crashed but did have some hard landings. My motors never completed failed but would not get up to full speed and therefore the other motors were compensating and would not get to full speed not allowing the quad to fly. I wonder if the motors that didn't completely fail had some of the brush wires dislodge.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

While you cannot link to stores you can certainly say "I have had good luck with X motor made by Mr Motor." You can post a link to Mr Motors info page showing the motor. Finding a place to buy it is up to the person who is interested and with any amount of internet search experience that is not usually very difficult. I would go VERY easy on the "gestapo" type of comment though. I am not at all tolerant of that but will defer to Dads judgement.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

RC Enthusiast
    We do have limited motors on hand right now, but we should be getting more very soon. Please keep in mind everything is a little backed up from the Christmas rush. Our warehouse staff has been working hard to get out all the orders, but this is our busiest time of the year by far. It has been taking a couple extra days to accommodate everyone.
    Dude, that's gonna be awesome. And if you ever need help with testing anything out, just give me a holler. I'll make sure it's as awesome as it could be. If you want to see an alias going bonkers in a gym, have a look at one of my videos in the vid section.

Speaking of.. I'm about due for another alias flight. Off I go.

RC poster
    There are growing pains anytime you bring a new product to market. We designed the Alias completely in-house and all the parts are unique to the Alias. On the plus side, the Alias was a runaway success. The downside of that is that we are still trying to catch up with the demand for parts and accessories. A new batch of motors just arrived to take care of our customers who had failures. More motors are on the way. Traxxas has always taken good care of its customers and will continue to do so. Hang in there, motors are coming.
    Great news and keep up the great work and great support!!

RC Racer
    @E-Maxxdude: You guys did a great job on the Alias... I love it, it is fantastic! As long as Traxxas gets their motor supplier to make the motors a bit more durable, then I give the product 6 stars out of 5!

About the moderators and forum... Its always been this way when using a forum that is biased or owned by the company whose service or product is the purpose of the forum.. This one is not that bad... Although I don't understand why they object to people posting places to get good deals on TRAXXAS products... I guess they don't want to tick off their dealers who charge higher prices??

Anyway all in all this forum and the mods are pretty ok.... I used to be on a Sea-Doo forum that I later found out was owned by a crooked guy named Glen Perry who also owned a big online Sea-Doo parts store and also was a Sea-Doo dealer. Anytime anybody posted anything even remotely negative about his shop (PPG)-which was a joke btw- he would come on and blast them or delete their post and block their account... I also used to be on a Corvette forum and I once posted on there about a rude and unprofessional cop who pulled me over for passing him... Little did I know the whole forum was run by a bunch of retired cops who don't believe in the 1st amendment lol... They banned me.. I had to make a new account and spoof my IP address lol...

If you have to insert spaces or symbols in a word because the language filter blocks it, you should not be using that word here. Please be careful.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-09-2014 at 04:14 PM.

RC poster

Lego Peg / Coin

Its no secret that there is a design flaw., whenever it lands .... ever., It touches down onto the rubber plugs that are directly in contact with the motors., In less your into the habit of flying into street signs. So ( I realize this is heresy) I bored the rubber plug hole to Lego size and replaced it. Which, it wasn't far off to begin with. It fits perfect with my kids Lego missile part. They wt the same as the black plugs 0.3g untrimmed now @ 1ich long, the Lego buttons wt less than 0.1gm and fit into the space like they were made for it. This makes the footing flush, and not directly in contact with the wires and motor cap. Its marginal at best, but I hope it disperses the impacts along the arms more and less on those High-output motors. Willing to try anything at this point to disperse that force along the arms & not the motor assemble. Once the new motors are here its, tack them in place and give it a go.

A design flaw should be more apparent than the failures we are seeing. I'm flying the whatsis off mine and not landing all that easily and I have not have a problem.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlingg View Post
    Its no secret that there is a design flaw., whenever it lands .... ever., It touches down onto the rubber plugs that are directly in contact with the motors., In less your into the habit of flying into street signs. So ( I realize this is heresy) I bored the rubber plug hole to Lego size and replaced it. Which, it wasn't far off to begin with. It fits perfect with my kids Lego missile part. They wt the same as the black plugs 0.3g untrimmed now @ 1ich long, the Lego buttons wt less than 0.1gm and fit into the space like they were made for it. This makes the footing flush, and not directly in contact with the wires and motor cap. Its marginal at best, but I hope it disperses the impacts along the arms more and less on those High-output motors. Willing to try anything at this point to disperse that force along the arms & not the motor assemble. Once the new motors are here its, tack them in place and give it a go.
    Just don't land! Get her into a nice hover and grab the Alias out of the air (from below -- watch those props)... Zero impact method.. Oh.. and don't crash... Make sure you have lots of altitude if doing those triple and quintuple flips..

Just don't land! Get her into a nice hover and grab the Alias out of the air (from below -- watch those props)... Zero impact method...
    That IS a fun game.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    A design flaw should be more apparent than the failures we are seeing. I'm flying the whatsis off mine and not landing all that easily and I have not have a problem.
    Might not be a design flaw.. could just be a bad batch of motors... This has happened even in the Aviation industry with strict Quality Controls and oversight:

Does anybody remember the terrible crash of the United Airlines DC-10 in Sioux City, Iowa back in 1989?
    A bad motor was the cause of that crash, but it was not a design flaw.. It was a defect in manufacturing.. More specifically there was a defect in the raw material (titanium in this case) that was used to make the fan disc for 1 of the motors:

"National Transportation Safety Board officials were on scene within hours of the accident. The rear section of the aircraft containing the number two engine was intact. Because of this, investigators were easily able to see inside engine number 2. As the investigation unfolded, it became apparent that the entire fan disk and blade assembly from engine number 2, a component approximately 8 feet (2.4 m) in diameter and made of titanium alloy, was missing from the accident scene. Despite an extensive search in the weeks following the crash, the missing disk and blade assembly could not be located. Realizing that that disk potentially held the key to understanding the reasons for the engine failure, the engine's manufacturer, General Electric, offered a $50,000 reward to whoever located the disk, and $1,000 for each fan blade. On October 10, 1989, three months after the crash, Janice Sorenson, a farmer harvesting corn near Alta, Iowa, felt resistance on her combine, and after getting out to investigate, discovered most of the fan disk with a number of blades still attached partially buried in her cornfield. The rest of the fan disk and most of the additional blades were located later in the harvest.
    Examination of the fan disk did indeed solve the mystery. Investigators discovered an impurity and fatigue crack in the disk, and traced this defect all the way back to the initial ingot formation in 1971. Titanium when melted reacts with air which creates impurities; to prevent this, the ingot which would become the fan disk was formed using a "double vacuum" process: the raw materials were melted together in a vacuum, allowed to cool and solidify, then melted in a vacuum once more. Interestingly, this disk was from the last batch manufactured from material using the double-melt process. GE had changed to an improved triple-vacuum process in January 1972 because of their investigation into failing rotating titanium engine parts. Afterwards, the ingot was shaped into a billet, a sausage-like form about 16 inches in diameter, and tested using ultrasound to look for defects. Defects were located and the ingot was further processed to remove them. However, some contamination remained.
    The contamination caused what is known as a hard alpha inclusion, a brittle part of the metal, which cracked during forging and then fell out during final machining. This formed a cavity with microscopic cracks at the edges. For the next 18 years, the crack grew slightly each time the engine was powered up and brought to operating temperature. Eventually the crack grew large enough to cause structural failure of the disk."

Maybe we can ask the NTSB to investigate the Alias motor failures? Thinking about something like this where lives were lost really helps you put something like motor failure on your quadcopter into perspective. 111 people were killed in this Crash in Iowa, but thankfully, and thanks to the skills, leadership, and training of Captain Al Haynes, the rest of the crew, and prompt response of the first responders, 185 people survived..

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlingg View Post
    Any force that would be passed to the motor through the rubber pad would be negligible. If you don't believe me, remove the rubber pad. The motor is no less secure. It's the light bar that holds the motor in place, not the pad. The rubber pad passes force to the chassis, not the motor. I can tell you that I have dropped my Alias from the rafters of our warehouse onto the concrete floor many times without a problem. That's a 30' drop. I have also had dozens of hard impacts while swooping down and striking the same floor. I'm not saying that you don't have a problem with your Alias, but I wouldn't focus on the landing feet. That's not the source of your problem.

RC poster
    i just picked up my second alias. the first one was great but only last about 15 flights before the front right and left rear motors died! i spent 40$ replaced all 4 motors and now after about 5 flights the same two motors died again! so i figured it was a lemon and purchased another one because it is a very fun quad to fly. i have 10 flights on this one and the same two motors are dead!
    i was unaware of any warranty on this issue! i had just come to the conclussion that while it was a great idea it needed some work from traxxas! so i opted for another brand quad.
    how do i start the warranty process you all talk about?
    i am new to the traxxas line of stuff so i am willing to give it one more shot!
    please help!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by trexcustomz View Post
    i just picked up my second alias. the first one was great but only last about 15 flights before the front right and left rear motors died! i spent 40$ replaced all 4 motors and now after about 5 flights the same two motors died again! so i figured it was a lemon and purchased another one because it is a very fun quad to fly. i have 10 flights on this one and the same two motors are dead!
    i was unaware of any warranty on this issue! i had just come to the conclussion that while it was a great idea it needed some work from traxxas! so i opted for another brand quad.
    how do i start the warranty process you all talk about?
    i am new to the traxxas line of stuff so i am willing to give it one more shot!
    please help!
    We have extended our customer service hours in order to serve you better.
    We are available Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 9:00pm Central Standard Time.

Please call us on our customer support line at:
    1-888-TRAXXAS (1-888-872-9927); outside the U.S., call 972-265-8000

RC poster
    We have extended our customer service hours in order to serve you better.
    We are available Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 9:00pm Central Standard Time.

Please call us on our customer support line at:
    1-888-TRAXXAS (1-888-872-9927); outside the U.S., call 972-265-8000
    Does this also work for EU based customers with regards to exchanging motors.?
    I've sent the motors to my LHS but it has been quiet for too long , Alias is too much fun to collect dust, it want's to fly :-) and with the current x-change rates the replacement kits are getting close to USD58 on this side of the ocean :-(

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertE View Post
    Does this also work for EU based customers with regards to exchanging motors.?
    I've sent the motors to my LHS but it has been quiet for too long , Alias is too much fun to collect dust, it want's to fly :-) and with the current x-change rates the replacement kits are getting close to USD58 on this side of the ocean :-(
    I'm not sure-- my best advice would be to give them a call and ask. I think from what I've heard they won't support you if you did not buy from an authorized dealer. But as long as the local hobby shop you bought your Alias at is an authorized Traxxas dealer and they did not get the units "sideways" then I would think they would support you and you should have no problem getting help. Although I'm not sure about shipping, I doubt Traxxas would pay for international shipping.. Perhaps a Traxxas employee can clarify international support?

RC poster
    Yes they are an authorised dealer, hopefully they will come through and send the replacements.. , I would however prefer a direct contact with Traxxas support somewhere in EU. Wishfull thinking I know :-)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk