RC poster

How does discharging work?

Excuse me for my total lack of knowledge on the subject, but I just got a Traxxas Rustler for Christmas with an EX Peak Plus charger. I'm trying to discharge my batteries, and the manual suggests discharging them to about .9 volts per cell, which works out to 6.3 volts overall. I set my charger to discharge, NiMH at .1 amps, and it goes at it for a couple of hours, then beeps. When I check the battery by putting it in my car, it still has quite a lot of charge left, so much so that I can hook it back up and run another discharge cycle without the charger protesting. It does the same thing when I try to cycle the battery as well.

I'm assuming that either my charger is faulty, or I have a complete misunderstanding of what the process of "discharging" is.

Is the time limit being reached first?
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    ...there's a time limit?

Most likely... but I am sure it can be adjusted in the settings menu.

RC poster
    Yup. just noticed it stops after 120 minutes. I'll have to see how to remove that.

RC Enthusiast
    I, too, am having problems trying to cycle a new 5000 8.4 volt nimh. I have it set to cycle 3 times, but the first discharge took over 5 hours. There's no time limit setting on my EZ Peak Plus.

I have it set to discharge at 2.0 amps to 6.3 volts, then charge at 3.0 amps. Is it possible this new battery is just no good? Or, should it take that long to discharge?

By the way, when I first got the battery I charged it up and it ran for less than five minutes on my new Stampede VXL.

Thanks.

Sounds about right on discharge time... it maxes out at 10 watts which at that voltage limits the discharge to less than 1 amp.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Sounds about right on discharge time... it maxes out at 10 watts which at that voltage limits the discharge to less than 1 amp.
    Yes, the highest discharge rate I've seen has been .9 amps.

I've run five cycles now discharging to 6.3 volts and then charging. The battery improved on the first four cycles. However, the last two have been about 2900 mah charges. Since it's a 5000 mah battery, I would expect it to go close to 5000 when done. I'm going to do a couple more cycles, but I am not too optimistic at this point.

RC Enthusiast
    I want to update my experience for others who might be interested.

The EZ Peak Plus charger has a Safety Timer which limits charging to a default of 120 minutes. This can be turned off or the time can be increased or decreased. The manual states clearly that this is to prevent overcharging.

However, I have learned by my own experience and verified through Technical Support that this timer also limits discharging time. I had stated above that there was no discharge timer on my unit, I was incorrect.

So, as Jimmie Neutron suggested above, the Safety Timer can and does limit the discharge.