Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Rally Car

RC Qualifier

My Rally Car

Well this is my newbie rally car build. I am still new to the hobby and learning my way with cars. So far this is it.
    Next thing i am looking to upgrade or add is sway bars

RC Qualifier
    Nice rig! What kind of wheels and tires are those?

RC Qualifier
    suprasales wheels they were cheap 29.99 for all 4 they seem to be holding well.
    thanks a lot!

RC Champion
    Sweet looking Rally there
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks revoman78!!! any recommended upgrades? I just ordered my sway bars online 5 minutes ago. I couldn't wait!

RC Champion
    It looks like you have done a lot of the basic upgrades. What are you doing with the car? Bashing? Racing? Speed Runs? or just everything? The upgrades you get kinda depend on what you use your car for and how hard you use it.

RC Qualifier
    Well im more for bashing. I just like to have my car handle good. Speed is always good but i am not trying to spend money on a new esc/motor combo... so vxl for now . I just want to get some of the basics out. Iv never crashed my car either so I dont know what else to do to it.

RC Champion
    Have you looked into some RPM arms. Also what battery are you using?

RC Qualifier
    yes I have seen those, but I don't really feel the need to upgrade them yet unless my stock ones break. And im using a 2s 25c 5000mah lipo and a 3s 40c 4300mah lipo

RC Qualifier
    Good choice in sneakers! If your not interested in rpm a arms till your stocks break that's the outlook you should have on the whole car. I mean you either upgrade to prevent breakage of the stock parts, or because you are addicted to upgrading your Rc cars and love bling, or because you broke a part so you upgrade it instead of replacing with the stock. The third idea is the best way to go (so iv been told at least). I buy a Rc. Say I'm going to only replace what breaks. Then I end up replacing everything before I even drive it. I know it's ridiculous. If you can manage to do it only replace items you break. It's a lot cheaper in the long run.

RC Qualifier
    Haha thanks that my other addiction other than RC cars is sneakers yeah I more or less just added the VG brace because it just looks sweet! Plus the added durability I couldn't have said no, especially with my inexperience with cars I didn't want to have a bad wreck and have to change a chassis because that seems tough. Right now for the looks department I'm looking at shock socks or shock guards , but I can't help and justify the $10 price tag for a little piece of cloth that may or may not help. I am not an off road type of guy so I keep my rally on the pavement. Yes I think 3rd option is the best and most understandable , but sometimes it's just hard to resist! Haha.

RC Enthusiast
    Nice Rally you have. I keep my Rally only on-road and tried all kinds of things to make it handle better, but hated how it didn't want to stay planted around corners, even with those awesome wheels/tires from suprasales. Then, after following another member's on-road build, I switched out the stock shocks for X0-1 shocks, the car stays glued to the ground. I HIGHLY recommend getting X0-1 shocks. Then, if you want to strictly keep it on road, chop up an X0-1 diffuser set and it will REALLY glue your car to the ground. Here is a pic to show you how mine was before I made it into a killer truck.

1/10 Rally, 1/16 BB Merv, 1/16 BB Rally

RC Qualifier
    MY OH MY OH MY! that thing looks amazing! Man I would to do that to mine but sadly my funds are as good as other on here lol, I am just trying my best to keep it at least decent on road. I for one actually like the stock rally body a lot. Wow I cant get over how pretty that car looks! My dreams are to have a similar set-up like that.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks. Took about a year to build. It started with a rolling chassis, then progressed from there. I don't have a lot of money either. I just planned it out first of what I wanted, then bought a few pieces when I could. I actually bought a lot of stuff cheap off *bay sellers.
    You are already half way there. All you need is your swaybars like you wanted to get, aluminum shock towers(FYI- if you are going to get the diffuser. get either 2 front shock towers or X0-1 towers. Stock Rally rear towers make the back too low), X0-1 shocks and a body. Later you can get the motor/esc set up. Click on the pic to go to my photobucket library and on the description lists all parts on the builds.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueStig View Post
    Nice Rally you have. I keep my Rally only on-road and tried all kinds of things to make it handle better, but hated how it didn't want to stay planted around corners, even with those awesome wheels/tires from suprasales. Then, after following another member's on-road build, I switched out the stock shocks for X0-1 shocks, the car stays glued to the ground. I HIGHLY recommend getting X0-1 shocks. Then, if you want to strictly keep it on road, chop up an X0-1 diffuser set and it will REALLY glue your car to the ground. Here is a pic to show you how mine was before I made it into a killer truck.

nicely done!! well crafted....... reminds me of mine how do you like the Viper?

@RallyX3s you can buy parts from Dollarhobbyz for cheap.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you. You were actually the inspiration of the build(humayrayakongkinaon, with some help from ShanDaMan). I'm glad you like the outcome of my Rally. The Viper body is great. Pretty strong too. I was actually cruising around in the parking lot and out of nowhere a Nissan Maxima ran slam over it(not the tires, my car went directly in the middle under the car) and it scratched the roof pretty good, but the wing stayed in tact and nothing broke!

RC Qualifier
    It is one of the cleanest builds I have seen! You guys have inspired me! But i need some help knowing if this body would fit the stock rally chassis http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-Toyota-...item485efc0e0b Nevermind on the body just by looking at it i can tell the wheel base is too small.

And also I was wondering if I can dye blue plastics red, or would they just purple?
    Last edited by RallyX3s; 12-29-2013 at 12:20 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by RallyX3s View Post
    It is one of the cleanest builds I have seen! You guys have inspired me! But i need some help knowing if this body would fit the stock rally chassis http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-Toyota-...item485efc0e0b

And also I was wondering if I can dye blue plastics red, or would they just purple?
    no, you need one with 325mm wheelbase and 310mm width. check out deltaplastic, lots of body choices.
    http://deltaplastikusa.com/index.php...ory&path=59_66

RC Qualifier
    Wow they have some great prices! Bookmarked. Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueStig View Post
    Thanks. Took about a year to build. It started with a rolling chassis, then progressed from there. I don't have a lot of money either. I just planned it out first of what I wanted, then bought a few pieces when I could. I actually bought a lot of stuff cheap off *bay sellers.
    You are already half way there. All you need is your swaybars like you wanted to get, aluminum shock towers(FYI- if you are going to get the diffuser. get either 2 front shock towers or X0-1 towers. Stock Rally rear towers make the back too low), X0-1 shocks and a body. Later you can get the motor/esc set up. Click on the pic to go to my photobucket library and on the description lists all parts on the builds.
    love how you put details on the inside as much as the outside.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you humayrayakongkinaon. I'm sorry, RallyX3s. I didn't mean to jack your thread.

RC Qualifier
    it's cool.
    Do these fit the rally? 3741x red turnbuckle

RC Enthusiast
    I don't believe they will fit. They are different lengths than the Rally. These are for the Rustler/2wd Stampede(Front track of 12.75 inches/324mm; Rally has a front track of 11.7 inches/297mm, respectively).
    I always go to the Products at the Traxxas main page and go to Support for Exploded Views, Parts Lists and even Specs and Accessories on whichever model for clarification as to what will fit.

RC Qualifier
    Hmm thats weird then because the site that I saw these advertised them for slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    That is weird. I typed in that part number, and that is what came up. Most parts for the Slash 4x4 will fit the Rally. There is a typo somewhere. From what I understand, most parts from the Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4 and Rally are compatible(except the Stampede chassis). I do know the 2wd models differ greatly from the 4wd models.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    from what I see its for 2wd rustler or P2de turnbuckles.

RC Qualifier

RC Enthusiast
    All I can say is try it. I think it will be too short. Me personally, I would measure the factory turnbuckles and put in a search for that size with red anodizing, that way you are going off measurements that you [U]know[U] will fit, rather than guessing.
    Some companies tag a bunch of models to a part number to widen their hits on peoples' searches. Just my 2 cents.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah thats true, I will try that. I really don't want to waste my money on stuff that won't probably work. While we are on the topic of turnbuckles I have noticed since I put my 17mm adapters on around 4 days I have maybe put 4 packs through my wheels and I have noticed they all wear differently.

and also whats a good affordable tool set for all the hex screws?
    Last edited by RallyX3s; 12-30-2013 at 12:54 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I don't blame you for not wanting to waste your money. I don't think the adapters are causing different wear on your tires. I have gone through 3 sets of those tires. It would be the turnbuckles not adjusted properly that would cause uneven wear. I noticed after 2 runs on those tires that they start to wear. They are a great set and a great compound, just not a lasting compound. As far as what can you do about it? Get a camber gauge. Mine is from RPM. I think I paid $10 at the hobby shop for mine. Get it close to -.5* or 0 for even wear. Toe in also affects front tire wear. Rotate your tires after every run, that will help.
    Hex tools- DuraTrax has a great set up that has different that lock into a hand ratchet. Don't have a link or a part number, but search Tower Hobbies or such for that. For a cheap fix, take fuel tubing and zip tie it on the end of an Allen wrench, and when the long end gets rounded, ground it flat for a "new" like Allen wrench. Gorilla also makes a great Allen wrench set.

RC Qualifier
    Didn't know those even existed. How do you use a camber gauge? Thanks for letting me know, its getting tiring using the supplied tools lol they hurt my thumbs!

RC Enthusiast

RC Enthusiast

RC Qualifier
    OK thanks for that. I will be picking that up soon.

RC Qualifier

Cool

New bling lol

RC Qualifier
    sway bars installed.

Last edited by RallyX3s; 01-07-2014 at 06:09 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I really hate all the blue though... I need to add more red. Is there way to change the color of the motor can or esc?

RC poster
    for the guys using the rally for speed runs and just street use do you have any opinion on using the xo-1 tires??

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AeR0 View Post
    for the guys using the rally for speed runs and just street use do you have any opinion on using the xo-1 tires??
    I have the sweep gt8 wheels. They look sweet. Have not tried them yet due to winter in New York. I would like to hear about the xo-1 wheels to though.

Looks great rallyx3s

RC Champion
    STRC red center driveshaft will help eliminate the blue. Good choice with the upgrade as you break method, I do it the same way and haven't changed anything but an esc and a motor (of course the most expensive parts).
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.