17mm adapters ??

I'm rebuilding an on road Rusty, my plan is to mount XO-1 tires, but need some 17mm adapters to run them, my questions is which ones are recommended ?

I did some quick research and found that both strc and traxxas make 17mm adapter kits. From my own experience both brands make quality products that are durable and reliable. Here are links to both:

http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...&path=1&page=8

http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=8645
    Anza Slash VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    You will likely get quite a few different answers to this question as everyone seems to prefer a different kind for their own special reasons. I prefer the AKA 17mm adapters. They have worked very well for me and have held up great. They tend to come loose a little but a dab of blue locktite and they stay put. Have you looked into the GRP tires? They tend to run a little bit cheaper than the XO-1 tires in my findings... And they hold up extremely well to onroad use. I mainly use mine for speedruns, if im just cruising around on the street I put the 12mm hexes back on and use my G-locs.

@Dgudenau, I google it, and found different manufacturers too, but looking for personal opinion based on experience. thanks.

@Baltimore that's exactly what I'm looking for. I will look into those. thanks.

RC Champion
    I have Traxxas, STRC and believe it or not Integy.. They all work the same with no favorites between them except the Traxxas annodized colors match better. Not a fan of the Integy C/s, but the part fits fine. The Traxxas seemed to fit the best with no need to shim, the others required slight shimming to relieve pressure on the bearings.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    You will likely get quite a few different answers to this question as everyone seems to prefer a different kind for their own special reasons. I prefer the AKA 17mm adapters. They have worked very well for me and have held up great. They tend to come loose a little but a dab of blue locktite and they stay put. Have you looked into the GRP tires? They tend to run a little bit cheaper than the XO-1 tires in my findings... And they hold up extremely well to onroad use. I mainly use mine for speedruns, if im just cruising around on the street I put the 12mm hexes back on and use my G-locs.
    Hey BaltimOre, if you're going to run the XO-1 tires, with the stock XO-1 wheels, aren't the wheels splined, so standard 17mm hexes wouldn't fit? You would have to cut out the splines on the wheel, in order to run a non-Traxxas 17mm hub adapter (i.e., STRC, Integy, etc....) is this correct? I run the MIP 17mm Slash 2WD adapters since I'm running the MIP X-Duty CVD's and the rear axles don't accept an axle pin. Just curious about the XO-1 wheels being splined. I also run the GRP Compound A tires as well. I think they're easily the best bang for your buck. Certainly cheaper, but not in quality, IMHO. Am I correct about the XO-1 wheels beings splined? Cheers!
    Last edited by quantumreality; 12-24-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    FLM RUSTY, FLM EMAXX, ERBE, SLASH PLATINUM 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by quantumreality View Post
    Hey BaltimOre, if you're going to run the XO-1 tires, with the stock XO-1 wheels, aren't the wheels splined, so standard 17mm hexes wouldn't fit? You would have to cut out the splines on the wheel, in order to run a non-Traxxas 17mm hub adapter (i.e. AKA, STRC, etc....) is this correct?Am I correct about the XO-1 wheels beings splined? Cheers!
    good question..

RC Qualifier
    I was basing the XO-1 "splined" wheel question, off the fact, that while watching some vids on Youtube, of speed runs, those running XO-1 wheels, had to cut the splines out, in order to get their wheels to fit on their 17mm adapter, since they weren't running splined 17mm hub adapters. That why I posed the question. I'm not sure why, but they stated it was because of the splined configuration of the wheels didn't line up correctly with the hubs.
    Last edited by quantumreality; 12-24-2013 at 02:06 PM.

I would like to know as well., I just saw a video on youtube the guy had 17mm AKA adapters with xo-1 wheels..I guess AKA will fit they seem to be splined

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKA-33001-Fr...item43c2fcc6f5
    Last edited by NFS; 12-24-2013 at 01:59 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NFS View Post
    I would like to know as well., I just saw a video on youtube the guy had 17mm AKA adapters with xo-1 wheels..I guess AKA will fit they seem to be splined

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKA-33001-Fr...item43c2fcc6f5
    Yeah, that link you posted does show splined 17mm hubs. Those I'd assume would work with XO-1 wheels, without any mods. So I can just assume, for the time being, that the incidents where the hubs didn't fit, they weren't splined? IDK?

RC Competitor
    I have a set of Dynamite adaptors and they work great. They are splined so the xo-1 wheels will fit. Personally I would stick to splined adaptors so you can use any 17mm wheel.

RC Qualifier
    Quantum,
    Not really sure about the XO-1 tire fitment issues. I have to agree with you on the GRP tires being top notch. I have two sets of them. One set of super soft and one set of soft compound.. I love them. The AKA adapters are splined so if I had to take a guess I'd say they would fit the XO-1 wheels.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    Quantum,
    Not really sure about the XO-1 tire fitment issues. I have to agree with you on the GRP tires being top notch. I have two sets of them. One set of super soft and one set of soft compound.. I love them. The AKA adapters are splined so if I had to take a guess I'd say they would fit the XO-1 wheels.
    BaltimOre, I looked up the AKA's they're definitely splined, so I reckon they should fit the XO-1 wheels. Ditto on the GRP's. I run both the A & K (extra & ultra soft) compounds. I absolutely love them. Cheers and Happy Holidays

Any link to those GRP tires,,what compound should I use?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NFS View Post
    Any link to those GRP tires,,what compound should I use?
    Yes! Eh mate go with the ultra soft, compound K GRP's They're pretty versatile on several different road conditions. Here's a link for a complete set (4) wheels/tires. Plus you can always come in with a lower offer than what's being asked. Good luck. Cheers!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyosho-Infer...item3387d76827

RC Qualifier
    I have the AKA 17mm adapters (AKA 33001) and they are splined. They are very well built. I did some research before I bought mine and they seemed to have the best feedback. You must use thread locker with them. And you cannot put shims in the front axles behind the pin or you will get binding.

Great info deanwrx, thanks.