RC poster

Another 3906 Thread

First of all, I'm sorry guys if this comes off as annoying seeing yet another 3906 question thread, I'd like to maybe make it into a good build thread over time. I've had my emaxx since about 2006. It spent some time in storage but now I've gotten it back out and I'd really like to make it as nice as possible. I want to keep this truck because it was a gift from my brother. I'm aiming for the ultimate basher. So far, this is where I am now:

All new RPM Bulks, Bulk Braces, A-Arms, Skids, Shock Towers etc...

VG Racing Cage-

Proline Wheels and Tires with Traxxas 17mm hubs-

Robinson Slipper-

And last but not least, my early Christmas present. A Duratrax Onyx 245 with two 5000mah lipos.

Thanks for looking guys, I hope you enjoy! I look forward to posting and learning more!
    Last edited by eN89Vo; 12-22-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Wrong links posted from photobucket...

RC poster
    I do have one question to start out with if anyone could help as I've looked with no definite answer found. I broke one of the center drive shafts not long after getting the bigger tires(expected). But today I broke one of the outer drive shafts(Also expected lol). I replaced the center shafts with the Traxxas steelies (4951R) and I would like to get the 5451R kit to match. I know these are meant for the 3903 but will they work by just adding the RPM knuckles?

RC Champion
    Short answer
    Yes
    I use the original A-arms and hubs on my 3906

I'm using the 3903 3,8 wheels or 3,2 Maximizer 17mm wheels

Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC Racer
    Plz keep them comming, luv an other e maxx build

RC poster
    Well, I got a new part in! Unlimited Engineering Idler gears. I put them both in today.

These things are really nice and they got here amazingly fast. Great purchase.

I ordered the gears based on fears I'd read from others about the originals being a weak point. I've broken two axles in the past (1 center and 1 outer) but the original gears looked 100% fine. I went ahead anyway since I'm here now.

Here are some comparison shots of my new tires to old tires. I also grabbed a shot of the new centers while I was there.

Thanks for looking! I'll post more when she's officially running again. New plastic shafts are on the way for now. Still planning on the traxxas 4951r's and some new RPM knuckles and some new tie rods. Once I get that stuff together I'll be posting more.

RC Racer
    Looks good

RC Champion
    Thanks for posting. I have to rebuild a 3906 tranny soon as my gears come in. Peace
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    You must have done the input shaft mod!!
    Put a peice of hex allen to replace the spring pin.

Fred
    3906 CC 1717 / MMM GA 7075 UE Khead LST2 DIFF

RC Champion
    Like this
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC poster
    Thanks for the link snoop, but no I forgot to do this while I was there. I haven't put it all back together yet so I'll be sure to before I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Don't forget that Fred said it first, I just posted the photo to help illustrate it
    Morten SnoopMaxx
    3906 ROCKSTAR Makita
    c",)

RC poster
    So, I got some new stock driveshafts to hold me over till I figure out what steel ones to get and I've created a new problem

I believe I burned out both of my motors. It seemed to be running fine at first but then one of the motors began smoking pretty good. Now, when you give it throttle it doesn't even make a sound. Not sure if u wanna just go brushless or maybe try the kershaw dual 700 route.

RC Racer
    Yeah, believe the kershaw design is good, but the titan 775 is a good motor also you can use the stock esc if you use the titan or the kershaw dsign which is a plus.

Brushless is fun and most system are not waterproff and you will break more parts.

RC Racer
    Hey eN89Vo, I have a 3906 and those same lipos. I'm having trouble getting the lipos to fit in the chassis because of the motor mount. Have you done any mods to the chassis to fit them?
    ERBE,Slash 4x4,Bandit,T-maxx 3.3 x3

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxdigger View Post
    Hey eN89Vo, I have a 3906 and those same lipos. I'm having trouble getting the lipos to fit in the chassis because of the motor mount. Have you done any mods to the chassis to fit them?
    Hey Maxdigger, my batteries just barely fit. I've scratched the sticker up pretty bad trying to get them in there but they do fit just perfectly. Mine are even trickier since I have the cage on my truck. One thing I did was I unscrewed the battery tie down arm and screwed in just another pin holder so now I just pull the pins from both ends of the tie downs and they come off. I can try to get a pic of what I'm talking about later.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sypsp View Post
    Yeah, believe the kershaw design is good, but the titan 775 is a good motor also you can use the stock esc if you use the titan or the kershaw dsign which is a plus.

Brushless is fun and most system are not waterproff and you will break more parts.
    I agree, brushless will only lead to more broken parts. I will look into both the 775 and kershaw before I try the Brushless route.

RC Racer
    Yeah I know what your talking about. I've done the same thing with my emaxx and also have a roll cage on mine. Thank you for your help.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by maxxdigger View Post
    Yeah I know what your talking about. I've done the same thing with my emaxx and also have a roll cage on mine. Thank you for your help.
    You have to maneuver them just right for it to work, but they do fit. What cage do you have?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by eN89Vo View Post
    You have to maneuver them just right for it to work, but they do fit. What cage do you have?

If you look at my thread rebuilding the rebuilt you can see, it will be below yours now. I used a soldering gun to remove the inside braces so I can fit my batteries in easier. The cage is very similar to yours.

RC poster
    Well, I bought some new 550's for the time being so I can play again! The stockers were completely seized up. It's a slow process but I still have a lot of plans for her!

With the lipos, gearing, and larger wheels it really moves! I think next mod will be better steering servo and evx2 so I don't have to mess with lvc's anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I'm at a loss guys, please help me. I literally just cooked one of the motors again. Why does every hobby shop tell me 550's can handle lipo when this is the third motor I've blown. These motors have been run just two battery cycles. What am I doing wrong?

RC Racer
    The titans 550 are not good a motor for the e maxx and since you can't change the brushes, it is expencive and anoying If you want to run brushed motors get the titans 775 or the kershaw design. The kershaw design motor you can change the brushes. With the titans you can not change the brushes which is a minus.

If you are considering brushless you could do it now, but the kershaw design motors looks good, but I have not tried it myself.

RC Racer
    Maybe your motor cant handle the gearing and the big joes tires

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sypsp View Post
    Maybe your motor cant handle the gearing and the big joes tires
    +1!!!!

Anyway, Titan"ll not last at all with lipo!
    3906 CC 1717 / MMM GA 7075 UE Khead LST2 DIFF

RC Qualifier
    I have an old 3906 from my brother. I called Traxxas and did the power up program and replaced the old esc with an X5, replaced the transmitter, receiver and both servo upgrades and I think it was $160. It gets rid of the long antenna and the crystals. everything is updated to 2.4ghz.

I bought the Dewalt 820 single motor and pinions from Dan at Kershaw. very easy conversion. The upgraded esc and Dewalt motor handles 2 - 2s lipos very well. I run the SPC 6500mah lipos HARD CASE batteries. I had to dremmel the outside of the battery cradle a little bit to allow the batteries to shoe horn into the cradle. The stock battery holders work fine.

I have numerous Summits and I used a spare set of 17mm hubs that fit perfectly and used some spare stock Canyon tires and wheels. You can play with the different pinions and spurs to get the desired speed or low end torque as you like. Mine is awesome, I really enjoy using it for my bashing and use the Summits for trails and rock crawling.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC poster
    I think an evx-2 and dual 820's by kershaw are next up. I don't know what I'll do if they burn up. I'd go brushless but I don't think I'd be able to handle that kind of power without breaking my truck every time I ran it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by eN89Vo View Post
    I think an evx-2 and dual 820's by kershaw are next up. I don't know what I'll do if they burn up. I'd go brushless but I don't think I'd be able to handle that kind of power without breaking my truck every time I ran it.

I talked with Dan at Kershaw and he recommended the single Dewalt and conversion kit. With the single Dewalt the Emaxx has plenty of power and speed. In high gear it really moves out. Almost to fast. You can change the pinion and spur gears to get whatever combo (speed or torque) you want. I run mine on two SPC 6500mah hard case batteries with the upgraded electronics and have had no issues. Enjoy.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"