Thread: Shock oil?

RC Qualifier

Shock oil?

Hello I have a non vxl rally that is now a brushless 4370kv motor. I built it with parts I had. It is 98% new. I have a new/better esc on the way,front/rear chassis braces, and a metal gear servo to install. My question is what springs and shock oil to run? I noticed it has a different spring setup from from the vxl rally,. I am guessing cause of the extra weight. So I was thinking of just putting in the 90wt oil that I have from my merv.I know this question is loaded cause everyone has different setups and driving habits but just getting a consensus.

Last edited by gorilla2891; 12-08-2013 at 01:16 PM.

RC Enthusiast

Lightbulb

You can buy this spring kit from this website
    />>>>http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...24&p_catid=257

You can use the 90wt with the stock shock bodies
    or buy these shocks.
    http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...81&p_catid=257
    Last edited by Gymkhana1999; 12-09-2013 at 09:51 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I had to throw some 2k diff fluid in the shocks on my big block rally. It handles alot better now.

I'd stay away from anything Integy...

I ran now discontinued big bore shocks... so I cannot suggest those, but I have heard of people loving HR shock bodies with Traxxas seals and internals. Some are running high weight oil like Rad, but others are happy with weights around 100. Oil weight is one of those personal preference things... just be sure to match spring rate with oil weight.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    How do you know what weight oil goes with what spring rate? Is there a chart? I am going to have to look up what the non vxl rally is. just going to keep stock shock bodies and probably springs too. I tightened the springs up before I even drove it. It skittered all over. ran em back down a bit and it handles pretty well. I will install chasis braces before i do anything. Just trying to get some ideas. You know, the perfect suspension set up.

There is no set spring for weight... it is all preference.
    You are not going to get the perfect setup with stock shocks... as soon as you start to get a heavy enough weight in them the bottom pop on cap will pop off on its own, puking the oil all over your chassis.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    I will be trying 100WT shock oil with the stiffest traxxas springs 4.3 rated in front and rear!

RC Qualifier
    Let me know how it goes. I was going to do 90wt with stock fiesta springs yesterday while I was installing chassis braces. But it handled pretty well the last time I ran it I have to drive it again before I decide.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by gorilla2891 View Post
    Let me know how it goes. I was going to do 90wt with stock fiesta springs yesterday while I was installing chassis braces. But it handled pretty well the last time I ran it I have to drive it again before I decide.
    So far its going great. i got rid of the stock springs on my Mustang Boss 302 they allow to much body roll i was racing at the time as well i will give it a try in the future on a bashing surface and race track.