RC Enthusiast

Single speed transmission

Do they make a conversion for a single speed for the slayer? Instead of the two speed. And what would be the improvements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Ya may be. This can be the the main reason!

There is no Traxxas-made conversion. A member that use to frequent the forum made a single-speed conversion for the Revo. Search around and you'll see that some people have used screws to lock the truck in second and have adjusted the gearing (clutch bell, spur and internal) to attempt to get the best of both worlds: acceleration and top speed.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Okay thanks! I'll look around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might look into the close ratio transmission gear set if you want to lock it into second. It'll take off no problem in second gear. The 1st and 2nd are so close you can barely tell it shifts unless you're on pavement. I've had my shift point set wrong using the close ratio set where it stayed in second and it took off just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by 67Exec View Post
    There wouldn't be many benefits to it, why would you want a single speed?
    Actually there's quite a few nitros out there that are single speed. The nitro pede, rustler, and sport are just a few nitros with single speed trannies. But they are also much lighter total weight than the revo and slayer sized vehicles and really don't need that first gear to pull the weight of the vehicle from a stand still.

Actually a single gear would be an advantage on a really tight curvy track with short straights. You wouldn't get the drop in RPM's when it goes into second gear for the split second and then have to let off for a corner. You could gear it to top out in the longest straight and it would be good for the rest of the track. Somewhat like gearing for an electric single speed.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My revo trans is a single speed for my MM/2200 with that being said the internal gearing is completely different and might not be able to take off (sluggish) fast enough due to tall gearing.
    humay has left the building, peace.