RC poster

Entering the sport

Hey guys. Just wanted to say hello and tell you how much I have learned reading this forum. I just ordered my son a Pede 4x4 VXL for Christmas (thinking about ordering one for myself as well ). I also ordered a 2S battery and EZ quick charger. We have been through a number of (disappointing) New Bright (Target) models and I am excited to get into the Traxxas world. I really struggled deciding between the 2WD Pede, 4x4 VXL and the brushed E-MAXX. Hopefully we'll be pleased with the 4x4 VXL.

RC Qualifier
    You made a good choice in Traxxas. Great products and even better product support. You should get one for yourself too. This way the two of you can bash together. One truck is a ton of fun. Two trucks just doubles that fun. Good Luck, and welcome to the fourm. Lot's of great people here with lots of info.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    Welcome. Great choice for your son! Your son will be thrilled. The P4de will blow you away compared to those New Bright models. I highly recommend a 2nd because driving two RC's together is so much better. Keep a close eye on temps on esc and motor. Pick up a temp gun. Enjoy!!!!
    The message above or below may or may not be true

RC poster
    Thanks guys! Should I expect to have problems with heat running only a 2s? I am not at all interested in speed. I bought the lipo for faster charge times and longer run times. I stuck with the 2s because from my reading, it appeared to not cause extra heat issues. Did I make a mistake with this thinking?

RC Qualifier
    Sport? I don't know about that, but welcome!
    2wd Slash VXL
    3906 MMM

YES, get yourself one.

Night and day difference between toy grade and hobby grade RCs.

2S will give you guys plenty of speed, recommend getting 2 - 3 batteries for each truck, and a 2 or 4 battery charger.

Wrenching on your trucks is a good part of this hobby, these are hobby grade, they do require some maintenance.

Welcome to your new obsession.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the forum and the addiction!!

You made an excellent choice with the P4DE!. I would stick to the 2S batteries on the stock VXL system. You will have less breakages, and will not have to battle the temperatures so much.

Monitoring your motors temperature is key to its survival. Temp guns can be picked up for fairly cheap. I ended up getting full telemetry and the tqi docking base for mine. Allows me to monitor my temps, voltages etc from my Sons ipod. Its handy. I also have a temp gun and they are always within a few degrees of one another.

2S is perfect for most kids im not sure how old yours is. Mine is 7 and 2S is right at his skill level.

One thing that i like about the TQI is that even if you dont have a vxl system in there. I can directly dial down the throttle percentage. from 100% to whatever. To limit a 3S or 4S truck before I pass it off to my son. Essentially dialing it down to a 2S. However iI do not run a stock motor system. I use the hobbywing wpsc8 esc, and a castle 1415 2400kv motor. Runs alot cooler then stock, but does require some serious mods.

I would reccomend that you get an aluminum bearing adapter as the stock one is plastic and tends to melt over time. also driveshafts tends to break. Try not landing under power and it will make the stock ones last alot longer. Personally i upgraded both of my trucks to Tekno m6 all around and i love them. No more breaks.

RC poster
    Good advice. Thanks all. I did order the aluminum bearing adapter. It seemed that so many of you guys recommend it, I figured it couldn't be a bad move.

Yeah the bearing adapter is a must dude my stock one lasted about 3-4minths before it meltedWelcome to the forum and addiction.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    I bought my son the Monster Truck edition for Christmas. After reading & reading some more, I explained to my wife how important it would be for both of us to have a truck! (Jedi mind trick!). Surprisingly, it worked! Now I have to wait 13 days before I can get one!

I wish the jedi mind trick worked on my wife dude.You guys will love the trucks.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    Welcome, you will find this forum very helpfully, lots of enthusiasts with a lot of know-how.