RC Competitor

Which Electric 4x4 for beginner?

The terrain around my house would just be grass (slight slopes) and an asphalt culdesac and road. There is an abrupt slope from the edge of the road to my driveway, so something too low might not work. In the summer the terrain probably isn't that challenging. In the winter we get a lot of snow, so something that would work in unplowed snow or climbing snow banks several feet tall would be a consideration.

These are what I am thinking about so far. Please feel free to make other suggestions or correct my thoughts on these.
    Summit?
    - Pros: Probably the best in winter. Low speed is good for beginners.
    - Cons: Low speed might be too low? I have no idea? Off road capabilities wouldn't be utilized much in the summer. Locking diffs may not get utilized. Prone to tip over turning?
    Rally?
    - Pros: Fast and good for flying around the culdesac and grass in the summer.
    - Cons: Ground clearance is too low. Probably not good in the winter or the bottom of the driveway.
    Slash Ultimate?
    - Pros: Fast, and also good for driving around in the summer. Better ground clearance than the Rally. Still good in the winter? Maybe this is the best compromise of the above two models.
    - Cons: Less off road capable than the Summit. I really don't like the professional race truck paint scheme on all of the bodies.

I have no concept of speed with these. Some of them being listed as going 50mph or 60mph seems ridiculously fast to me.
    Last edited by Jumpem; 11-23-2013 at 09:23 AM.

RC Racer
    Have you looked into the stampede? A brand new one will be available on December 15th. It has great ground clearance and chevron tires that are know to be great for snow, dirt, etc...! It's also only three hundred dollars, but is brushed. The brush less is like 100 dollars more??? But goes faster. For the driving you want to be doing I think the stampede fits you the best.
    MERV, Broken Alias.

Depends on what size. The 1/16 E-Revo (MERV) may be suitable as maybe the 1/16 Slash but I think they are a little too small. I too live on a cul-de-sac and like to jump into the grass but I don't mow to a putting green length so it gets caught up. Parking lot bashing can be fun sometimes but I prefer to take out my 3.3 Revo.
    The Slash and Stampede 4x4 may be better suitable for you. You could start in training mode which keeps it slow but soon you'll want to go faster. What that will not be enough, you'll look for bigger batteries and better motor/ESC. It's addicting.
    Many people swear by the Stampede--I have been looking at getting one myself.
    The Super Derecho

Would think a Stampede 4x4 would be a good choice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    MT Slash VXL
    2x Stampede 4x4

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradens Traxxas View Post
    Have you looked into the stampede? A brand new one will be available on December 15th. It has great ground clearance and chevron tires that are know to be great for snow, dirt, etc...! It's also only three hundred dollars, but is brushed. The brush less is like 100 dollars more??? But goes faster. For the driving you want to be doing I think the stampede fits you the best.
    I looked at it briefly. I don't like the wheelie bar, or how the wheel wells don't even attempt to line up with the tires. Petty things I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Depends on what size. The 1/16 E-Revo (MERV) may be suitable as maybe the 1/16 Slash but I think they are a little too small. I too live on a cul-de-sac and like to jump into the grass but I don't mow to a putting green length so it gets caught up. Parking lot bashing can be fun sometimes but I prefer to take out my 3.3 Revo.
    The Slash and Stampede 4x4 may be better suitable for you. You could start in training mode which keeps it slow but soon you'll want to go faster. What that will not be enough, you'll look for bigger batteries and better motor/ESC. It's addicting.
    Many people swear by the Stampede--I have been looking at getting one myself.
    I was thinking 1/10 scale.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-24-2013 at 08:31 AM.

RC Qualifier
    My first land rc was a Slash 4x4 Ultimate, I beat the crap out of it, it was easy to work on, fun to play with, and looked good! I will be getting one at the end of January. The Ultimate seems better because some aluminum factors so it's less prone to breaking. My Slash Ultimate annihilated a 2WD stampede during a head on collision at near full speed. The only thing that bothered me was how it went in grass, the stock tires were too small for grass so i put some Stampede wheels o and that improve it!
    PM for info.....

RC Competitor
    What about the Revo? I don't see people suggesting it much.

I'm considering getting an e maxx for these reasons. The e revo would be good too.

lipo power!!!!!
    Whatever you are, be a good one.

RC Qualifier
    The larger Merv is expensive for a beginner... I had a Summit but got bored because I don't have the terrain for it ... If you get a Merv, start with a roller. Reason for the roller is because the stock esc is not waterproof, the new MM2 is. Al this is about the brushless version.
    PM for info.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpem View Post
    What about the Revo? I don't see people suggesting it much.
    Because you asked about beginner. You could go with the brushed 1/10 E-Revo or even the brushed E-Maxx, however, given their size they need more batteries with bigger output than the Stampede and Slash in order to have the same fun factor--IMHO. If you want to go brushless with them be prepared to dig deeper in your wallet. All are good vehicles, take some time to poke around in each truck section and read what others are asking about them. The decision is ultimately up to you.
    Many people start in or get back into this hobby with Traxxas. Not everyone starts with a Stampede or Slash. I considered the Stampede (Slash was probably only in development at the time) when I got back into it but made a final decision on the 3.3 T-Maxx. All these vehicles are fairly easy to work on.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-24-2013 at 08:45 AM.
    The Super Derecho

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    The larger Merv is expensive for a beginner... I had a Summit but got bored because I don't have the terrain for it ... If you get a Merv, start with a roller. Reason for the roller is because the stock esc is not waterproof, the new MM2 is. Al this is about the brushless version.
    MERV = 1/16 Revo... so the ESC is waterproof.
    Based on the rest of your post, you meant the ERBE... the 1/10 Revo brushless edition.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    I have been reading through the Summit forum. I think I am leaning that direction. If I get one, hopefully I won't find it too slow. It did snow for the first time last night, so I am again thinking of something that could handle it.