The terrain around my house would just be grass (slight slopes) and an asphalt culdesac and road. There is an abrupt slope from the edge of the road to my driveway, so something too low might not work. In the summer the terrain probably isn't that challenging. In the winter we get a lot of snow, so something that would work in unplowed snow or climbing snow banks several feet tall would be a consideration.
These are what I am thinking about so far. Please feel free to make other suggestions or correct my thoughts on these.
- Pros: Probably the best in winter. Low speed is good for beginners.
- Cons: Low speed might be too low? I have no idea? Off road capabilities wouldn't be utilized much in the summer. Locking diffs may not get utilized. Prone to tip over turning?
- Pros: Fast and good for flying around the culdesac and grass in the summer.
- Cons: Ground clearance is too low. Probably not good in the winter or the bottom of the driveway.
- Pros: Fast, and also good for driving around in the summer. Better ground clearance than the Rally. Still good in the winter? Maybe this is the best compromise of the above two models.
- Cons: Less off road capable than the Summit. I really don't like the professional race truck paint scheme on all of the bodies.
I have no concept of speed with these. Some of them being listed as going 50mph or 60mph seems ridiculously fast to me.