RC poster

motor upgrade recomendations

Hi, I have stampede 4x4 and am after motor recomendations for running on 2s lipos as I have heaps of these
    As I race and do not want to buy more packs.

This is my basher and its set up with trenchers and protrac, I would like it to be very high power for wheelies and Top speed of around 45 ish mph.

2 combos I was thinking was hobbywing wp sc8 with tenshock 4 pole 3800kv sc401 v2
    Or castle sidewinder v2 with 1406 4 pole 4600 kv

I want to keep it waterproof and temps as low as possible is preferable

Any recomendations on these or other systems? What kv should I be looking for for 2s?

I use a Mamba Max Pro ESC and pair it with either a Castle 1410 3800kv 4 pole or a 1406 5700kv 4 pole also from Castle. I like the performance of the 5700 just a tiny bit more but it also runs hotter. Personally I think the 4600kv would be perfect. I would suggest going with the MMP over the Sidewinder for the ESC tho, the Sidewinder tends to run hot in 4wd trucks and from my experience is not as smooth as the MMP.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC poster
    Is the mmp waterproof? Is the 3800 kv powerfull enough and run cool enough on 2s?

The castle mm2 esc and hobbywing sc8 esc are waterproof and the warranty with castle is awesome where hobbywing is only 180 days.And the 3800kv 4 pole is a little monster for its size and will run 2s all day and if geared right will run 3s as well.Welcome to the forum dude...........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    Cool thanks, would the 1406 3800kv run faster and cooler than the tenshock sc401v2 4400 kv given that the
    Tenshock is 550 size?

The tenshock will be faster because of the higher KV and should run cool as long as the gearing is right but the 3800kv will run 2s and 3s better because of the lower KVBut I am not sure if the 4400kv will like being run on 3s.......peace

RC poster
    I will not be running on 3s ever only 2 s maybe I should go 5000kv tenshock then or is that overkill?

RC Champion
    I run castle 1415 2400kv on 3s only - awesome

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Stick with the castle. It will do everything you are asking for on 2s and stay cool, and the warranty is killer.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Rag is on the money I would go 3800kv 4 pole on 2s all year round job done but if cash is tight go tenshock but just the motor and use castle mmp esc.......peace
    Last edited by spenniepoos; 11-24-2013 at 12:22 PM.

RC poster
    I dont think the mmp esc is waterproof is it? I want to stay waterproof so would the wp sc 8 be better than the sidewinder esc?
    Last edited by 180racer; 11-24-2013 at 10:43 PM.

RC Qualifier
    From what I have seen on other forums and here as well....Castle has far superior customer support. I will pay more money for that. I'm pretty sure the MMP isn't waterproof. But maybe look into an Outerwears cover.
    I don't care to get my rigs very wet anymore, too much extra maintenance required. But if I did the Outerwears is what I would use they appear to work very well and are relatively cheap. I'm thinking of getting some just to keep debris off the inside of my chassis on the rcs I run most.
    Summit, ERBE X2, 4pdes, 2pdes, etc lol

Or just have a look at the new MM2 that will fit the bill dude.......peace

RC Enthusiast
    Hi,
    could you please advise
    MM2+2200 with 4-6S or MM2+2650 with 4S
    Need durability and speed
    ps stampede 4x4 vxl

RC Champion
    I would go with 2650kv on 4s. I run mine with Castle 1415 2400kv on 4s.

RC Qualifier
    I run My Stampede on 3s and 4s mainly. Running a Castle 1415 2400kv, and a hobbywing WPSC8. The hobbywing ESCS are solid. I have 3 of them now, and they havent let me down yet. Comes with a host of programming options that the VXL system does not. They WPSC8 has a ton of power, runs cool, for the price/performance you will have trouble finding a better deal.

Castle does have the better warranty. But then again you pay for it.

In my slash MT build i used a Losi 2800kv (losb9444) motor. It is made by Castle,and is nearly identical to the 1415. In appearance and performance. Side by side i have trouble telling the difference when set up the same. Also its cheaper then the 1415 Castle Branded Green Can motor.

For those looking at running sensored motors or racing Hobbywing offers their competition SCT Pro ESC which still states "The major electronic components are sealed against splashing water or dust." Not submersible like the WPSC8. But would handle the occasional splash of water...Even for those who might want to go sensored down the road.

If I had the cash I would love the castle 2650 and run it on 3s and 4swith super low temps.......peace