Thread: Shocks and all.

RC Racer

Shocks and all.

Hi guys,

I was looking around at new shocks and started wondering what should I do, since I'm converting my MERV to a Rally and I will probably convert it back later on...
    Should I buy an upgrade to my stock MERV shocks (Body, Spring, Upper and Lower cap and a limiter... anything else needed?)?
    Or should I buy a all new set of shocks? if so then what length should I be looking at? 50/55mm longer? shorter?
    And - is there a way to use the same shocks for both setups and get good results? ie. with limiters or something else?

Thanks!

Running the Rally without limiters is only going to help off road... and a suspension drop can be done without limiters at all (preload collars)... so building 1 set will work out just fine.

Due to limitations of the geometry, you cannot use a shock much longer than stock.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Racer
    Aren't the preload collars the same thing as the adjustable ring? I thought the only thing you do with that is shorten the spring place to make it stiffer...no?

And what was the length of the stock? 47? so 50mm should do for both I guess, right?

I was looking at these parts if I go for rebuild:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/190957806617
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/190957809070
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/190957809037

but there are so many choices... traxxas gtr hard andonized... HR, GPM, RPM, Yeah Racing...

PS. I'm planing on doing some drift and speed runs so I want it close to the ground (that's the reason for the length questions).

Thanks again.
    Last edited by barakhav; 11-08-2013 at 03:53 PM.

The collars are on the shocks you have now...

If I were to build a shock now:
    HR shock body
    Stock Summit shock internals
    Traxxas tin shafts
    ACE hardware stiff springs

All assembled with whatever combination that has been recommend before.

I'd start with 50wt and probably go up from there.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    ...and when you realize that you have absolutely no damping with 50wt, jump straight to 3000wt, it will save you a lot of work/money .....

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The collars are on the shocks you have now...

If I were to build a shock now:
    HR shock body
    Stock Summit shock internals
    Traxxas tin shafts
    ACE hardware stiff springs

All assembled with whatever combination that has been recommend before.

A new bunch of questions -

Don't Summit vxl and MERV share the same shocks?
    Should I change the hollow balls?
    Couldn't find ace hardware anywhere, am I missing something?
    What about the caps? HR also? (like the link)
    The more wt on the oil shocks what happens? It stops the shock from going too low?
    And how high wt is normal on springs? maybe I should start from higher then 50 like mtc said?

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by barakhav View Post
    A new bunch of questions -

Don't Summit vxl and MERV share the same shocks?
    Should I change the hollow balls?
    Couldn't find ace hardware anywhere, am I missing something?
    What about the caps? HR also? (like the link)
    The more wt on the oil shocks what happens? It stops the shock from going too low?
    And how high wt is normal on springs? maybe I should start from higher then 50 like mtc said?

Thanks!
    1. yes
    2. yes
    3. neither do I, so can`t help you here
    4. Optional, not necessary
    5. You get more damping (less bounciness), shock will have the same travel
    6. Do what you like, but HR shock bodies have larger hole than stock and you will need MUCH higher WT oil. I tried 80, 100 1000, 2000, and 3000. Only with 3000 I got decent damping, all below was too bouncy.
    I have summit blue and pink springs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Mini...item5d431177e6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-7245...item2c6ec4a8a5

RC Enthusiast
    I have the full HR package (bodies and caps), but I can't keep the oil in them. The bladder isn't tearing, but oil is coming out the top, like the bladder is slipping out of place. Anyone have any ideas?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmeyer5 View Post
    I have the full HR package (bodies and caps), but I can't keep the oil in them. The bladder isn't tearing, but oil is coming out the top, like the bladder is slipping out of place. Anyone have any ideas?
    If the oil is coming out the top then obviously there is a bladder issue. Sometimes it can be tricky to tighten the cap without the bladder slipping into the body.
    You can mount the top cap two ways: you can put the bladder on the body and then screw the cap or you can put the bladder into the cap and then screw the cap.
    Try both ways

RC Racer
    Thank you

Jimmie could you please direct me to somewhere with Ace Hardware springs?

RC Enthusiast
    I think maybe the cap is not squeezing the bladder enough to keep it in place. In order to fix it, I think I am going to lap the bottom of the cap so it can screw down a bit more. And put a bit more squeeze on it. If that doesn't work, might try a different brand of shocks. I like the Yeah Racing design with the two piece cap.

RC Enthusiast
    Okay, I got a set of 50mm Yeah Racing dampers (nearly identical to Exotecs). Absolutely love the design and value. Assembled them and they feel great. Very happy with the assembly and quality. One problem... They don't fit. What I mean is that the spring retainers are hitting the rockers and preventing them from mounting up. Looking at Jimmie's setup, the retainers are most definitely different.

Solutions? New retainers or spacing the current ones away from the rockers. Spacing will reduce range of compression. Finding different style retainers might be difficult. Thoughts?

Try different shock ball ends. All of the shock body length is not useable... at least it wasn't with mine. This allowed for longer shock ends to mount up without sacrificing travel.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah Racing makes another spring retainer set for the 50mm... And it references the original 50mm damper kit that you used. I think they might be the ones you are running

Those look really familiar. :-)