Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

TheFixxer73's Slash Project

As some of you might know, I am active over on the p2de MJ board with my Rags To Riches truck. That was a very expensive build and my true love. I race it, I bash it, I sit and look at it for hours. I am by no means bored with it. I have RCcantstopbuildingitis so I decided to buy a 2wd slash and start a new project solely for racing. I found a complete vxl slash minus the motor on eBay for $110 and bought a Velineon motor right behind it to go with it. Both of these should be here tomorrow. So far the investment is $165. I wanna keep better track of what I put into this build. I lost track at about a grand on my p2de.

When the truck arrives I will give it a tear down and assessment and see what needs replacing. So, to start with, I know many of the parts are the same as a p2de and my parts box is full of stuff plus I won 2 slash parts lots that has who knows what in them. I know what the initial upgrades you do to a p2de are, but where do I start with the slash? Keep in mind this truck will be built for racing. I already have the HR graphite composite transmission, Traxxas Proball differential, MIPS CVD's, Proline Powerstokes, HR slipper clutch, HR graphite clutch pads, and HR pinions and aluminum spurs. I have the drive line covered. I will be using Trencher SC 2.2/3 on Proline split 6 rims.

How about the chassis? What parts should I be looking at to set the truck up for racing? Are there any stock weak points on the slash that need attention?

As soon as the truck gets here I will post the first before pictures and start this thread as my build thread. Some ideas I have color scheme wise are black, silver, and metallic red. I like to name my trucks so I was thinking Black Widow or Demonoid. Have to see which one fits when I start the project.
    Last edited by Thefixxer73; 11-06-2013 at 12:12 AM.
    This space reserved

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Depending on what class your racing in, a sensored motor, good tires, fast servo,an lcg chassis, and a proper suspension tweak is a good starting point...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Depending on what class your racing in, a sensored motor, good tires, fast servo,an lcg chassis, and a proper suspension tweak is a good starting point...
    Thanks rag6, as usual, love your advice. The slash is on a truck our for delivery. I'm totally salivating at the front door waiting.

What tires are you thinking? Awhile back I gave my brother a set of trencher sc's on proline split 6 rims but talked him into a trade back for them so I have them back. you think I will be good on the trenchers for my slash for racing? What servo should I be looking at? And finally, what is a good starting point for the suspension?

The track is your standard off road dirt track. The dirt is very similar to baseball diamond dirt but a little more packed. I will see if I can stop by and take a picture of the layout. I have Powerstroke shocks for it already. I am also thinking about the Protrac kit, I have it on my p2de and I love it. I will also look into the lcg chassis. I really am impatient to get this built by Sunday's race night (but will race the p2de if need be) and want to avoid having to order stuff. Hopefully I can find everything at the LHS this afternoon or tomorrow morning. I would rather drive 50 miles round trip than wait for it to be delivered. Im already stressed out waiting the FedEx truck to get here today. I'm ready to wrench!!
    This space reserved

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I don't like dual rate springs for racing. Just me. I like stock or big bore shocks(not the gtr big bores).

Losi green 2" xxx springs with 30-40wt oil up front, outer lower shock mount.
    losi blue 2.5" xxx springs with 40-50wt oil out back, shocks mounted 2nd from outer most hole.

Just a generic starting point, but usually works well for most tracks. You can go up and down with the spring rates and oil weights as needed from there.
    Here is a spring chart for the losi springs:
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17347

Tires I really cant help with. Best thing to do is check out what the fastest guys at the track are running, and buy them.

TLC is right!!!

Well I just got the slash project delivered and I am not really happy. I know it was going to need work but doing a once over on the truck I am not sure it was worth $110. The transmission is cooked (not a big deal since I built the HR transmission), it's missing some parts, and it's banged up pretty good. It may have been cheaper to start with a brand new roller and built from there. I have my work cut out for me for sure. The grocery list is in the works and then a trip to the LHS yet tonight.

Here is where project Black Widow starts. Calling it black widow because my wife is gonna kill me when she sees the list of parts I am going to get.

So here we go.
    This space reserved

does the esc work? If so, its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    does the esc work? If so, its worth it.
    Well, it turns on and the light stays green so I assume that is a good thing. It didn't come with a motor so I can't say with 100% certainty beyond the seller telling me it works.

Just completed a total tear down on the truck. Sadly it was heavily neglected and in very rough shape.....vise grips to get the suspension pins out and E-Z Outs on a few of the screws......yikes. The list of what I am salvaging is far shorter than what I ordered to replace broken, worn out, or missing parts. I am going with a black and red theme on this rig. I ordered a ton of red strc aluminum along with red RPM arms. I was able to get a few bits and pieces at the lhs but they don't carry much for aftermarket aluminum or traxxas aluminum. I bought what I could and ordered the rest. So add another $312 to the build price.
    Last edited by Thefixxer73; 11-06-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    This space reserved

YEEEOUCH!

Maybe you should have just started with a piece by piece build from scratch. Seems like in the end, your gonna have the slash pictured above as a second truck, while this build will have every single part new... That happened with my Evil street bandit build. In the end not one part from the original ebay basket case roller was left. Look at it this way, you can do a parts bin slash mt with all the stuff you have accrued from you and your sons pede 8) Slash mt's rock!

Yeah, it's kinda looking that way. Going through inventory today and see if I have enough to build a slash MT. Considered it with this build but I wanna dedicate it to racing only, I really like how slash mt's look. Put it up on some 3.8's with a raptor body...man that would be sharp.....whoa whoa whoa horsey....stay on target here. 8).
    This space reserved

So I am wondering. Looking into the lcg chassis a bit and notice there are complete lcg chassis and an lcg conversion kit. What's the difference? Am I assuming the conversion kit turns a stock traxxas chassis into the lcg or am I not understanding? For the price I think the conversion kit is a good choice. as much dough as I spend on RCing it's ironic that I can't justify a $100+ chassis purchase. no $50 seems fair for the purpose of this build.....to race!

Today I am going to dye the stock chassis black, build and mount the HR transmission, and clean up the parts I kept from the tear down and mount up what I can. A few days out for parts delivery so a majority of the build won't be done for a week. Looks like the p2de gets another go around on the track Sunday night.
    This space reserved

Traxxas Proball differential
    Just curious what class your running with a ball diff as they wont take the power a lot of the new brush-less systems out there are producing.
    Imo while a ball diff is a huge improvement over the stock diff it is lacking next to the adjustable sealed diffs now readily available, does your track have a class requiring this.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 11-07-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Where I race is a single store mom n pop lhs. They put on racing events 2 nights a week. There aren't really any classes beside 2wd and 4wd electric and 4wd nitro and a drag race. They also have races for 13yo and under. Its purley run what ya brung. Only rule is hard case cells. Its not sanctioned or corporate organized. They do their best to match us up. I have yet to win a main but I generally do well in qualifying heats and the feature.

I've been running the proball diff in a custom built p2de with an HW 3656 EzRun 4700kv 4 pole on 2s 35c behind it for about a month now and it's held up.
    This space reserved

Where I race is a single store mom n pop lhs. They put on racing events 2 nights a week. There aren't really any classes beside 2wd and 4wd electric and 4wd nitro and a drag race. They also have races for 13yo and under. Its purley run what ya brung. Only rule is hard case cells. Its not sanctioned or corporate organized. They do their best to match us up. I have yet to win a main but I generally do well in qualifying heats and the feature.
    That sounds like a lot of fun, I love rc racing but it can become a bit unnerving at times.
    I and my grandson often enjoy off the record races like the ones of which you speak more then the main events.
    Best of luck with your endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    That sounds like a lot of fun, I love rc racing but it can become a bit unnerving at times.
    I and my grandson often enjoy off the record races like the ones of which you speak more then the main events.
    Best of luck with your endeavors.
    It's been a blast so far. My 12yo son was racing his p2de that he built all by himself in the 13yo and under brushed trucks group but has since upgraded to the VXL 3S and Velineon 3500 so he gets to race with the big boys now. He does fantastic and I gotta give him props for building his own truck and doing so well at the throttle. Check his truck out here.

We have both won a few gift certificates and believe me, with my sickness do not last long. Usually in there the day after we won burning them up. My p2de has served well for racing but the slash is going to do sooo much better.
    Last edited by Thefixxer73; 11-07-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    This space reserved

So went to the lhs a little while ago just to wander around for a bit...I can do that...I'm on vacation, and I got to talking to the guy about building the slash and he asked what I was going to use for a Tx/Rx. It occurred to me that in my shopping spree I neglected to pick one out. Doh!! So using what remaining customer rewards credit I had and a few bucks left over on a gift certificate I got this.

After all the credits the thing only cost me $25. And the bare metal foil on the right...well wait til you see what I have planned for that. Waiting for the water to boil to dye the chassis...then whatever assembly I can do this afternoon with the parts I don't have to wait for.
    This space reserved

Didn't get nothing done with reassembly today but I did manage to get the chassis dyed black. That was easier to do than I thought.

Looking at what to get for a body and I'll be honest, I don't like the look of sct bodies. First time I saw one was on my brother's Helion and thought "man, that is the ugliest RC truck shape I have ever seen." To me it doesn't look mean or tough. So I was thinking of using a more traditional truck looking body and thought maybe the T or E maxx 1/8 bodies. Unless someone has another idea that's the direction I'm going.
    This space reserved

Here is what the copper bare metal foil was for. I gotta work it a little more on the motor to get it smooth as the servo. I don't know how long it will last but it will go nice with the black and red theme. I looked all over for red, couldn't find it.

This space reserved

RC Champion
    That is pretty cool never seen that before.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by revoman78 View Post
    That is pretty cool never seen that before.
    I really don't expect the application on the motor to last very long and I think at some point I'm just going to de-anodize the can and polish it up to a nice silver. I wish there was some way I could make the VXL3S esc red.
    This space reserved

I wish there was some way I could make the VXL3S esc red.
    As long as you dont paint the cooling fins on the top some plastic paint should be fine.
    I painted these parts last season and their proving to be perennial in appearance, and they take a beating.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Here they are after a season of abuse.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I used rustolem plastic if you wish to give it a go.

How about Krylon Fusion line of paint? I just wanna change esc housing to red. Hate to buy a whole can. Must a simpler solution.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
    This space reserved

Texas, ChevronPhillips Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Sweet man!! They are good little trucks. Those are my kind of rebuilds. It might be a little on the high side, but you can turn it around and make it look good. Take a good ole tooth brush and Simple green to make it look new again. Dying the parts chassis and gray parts will make it look even better.

I just picked a Rusty roller for $25. it came in decent shape, and a tranny with no gears. I picked up some VXL links and a new Magnum 272. So for $50 it'll be like new. This came minus tires, body and electrics which I have my own goodies there anyways.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

The dye job I did on the chassis turned out pretty good, I think. The truck was severely abused and neglected, so considering that, the black dye job really helped to improve how it will look. Everything else I have coming for plastic parts is black so it's all good.

This space reserved

Looks great. Dying parts will make them like new again for cheap.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

List of parts. Ex(t,p)ensive rebuild.

Waiting for a majority of the parts to arrive and really can't do much until stuff starts rolling in. I should have pushed vacation back a week so they would start getting here at the beginning of vacation instead of the end.

So here we go:

LiPo Battery Meter Low Voltage Battery Monitor VEN0644
    Staying w/ the VXL3S and Velineon power plant....for now ( so far over budget already I gotta wait to get something better)
    Venom 6500mah 45C 3S Lipo
    Tactic X240 Tx/Rx
    Traxxas 2075 servo....for now
    Hot Racing Graphite Composite transmission case TE12GX01
    Hot Racing Aluminum Slipper plates TRX15EP
    Hot Racing graphite slipper pads TRX15GS
    Hot Racing 19t pinion
    Hot Racing 86T Aluminum spur gear
    Hot Racing aluminum differential case TE38CH
    MIPS CVDs
    Avid bearing all the way through including transmission
    Brand new Traxxas 2382 Planetary Gears & Shafts
    STRC Pro-Light Alum 7075 Turnbuckle Kit ST3741XR
    RPM hollow ball long and short rod ends
    Hot Racing red linear springs
    Traxxas Ultra Shocks (2 hole 40w)
    STRC Shock Caps Aluminum ST2267R
    STRC Caster Blocks Aluminum ST3632R
    STRC Aluminum Front Knuckle Hub ST3636R
    STRC Bellcrank Set With Bearings ST3743XR
    STRC Aluminum Bulk Head ST2530R
    STRC Heat Polished Steel Suspension Hinge-Pins ST3640S
    STRC Aluminum Rear Hub Carrier ST3652R
    STRC Aluminum Lock-Pin Hex Adapter ST3654-12R
    STRC Aluminum Pro Racing Battery Strap ST3727R
    STRC Heat Treated Polished Front King-Pin ST3640-FK
    Traxxas 2wd Slash Complete set of Tires and rims (Red)
    RPM front and Rear red A-Arms
    RC Screwz stainless screw set
    All brand new stock towers, bumpers, motor gaurd, skids, and nerf bars.

Totally changed direction I was going with the transmission. I had been using the ProBall diff for racing but another member pointed out possible weakness with high power BL systems so I chose to try a good aluminum unit. Also decided to put the powerstrokes on the p2de instead of this build. The Velineon won't see much track time and will be replaced with something from CC in a few weeks.
    Last edited by Thefixxer73; 11-08-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    This space reserved

Quote Originally Posted by Thefixxer73 View Post
    How about Krylon Fusion line of paint? I just wanna change esc housing to red. Hate to buy a whole can. Must a simpler solution.

I cant really comment on this since I've never used it but if its made for plastic I can't see why it wouldn't work.
    The esc doesn't flex so I can't see any issues.
    If you have it on hand I'd give it a go.

RC Qualifier
    This is going to be a really nice trck. Do you have all of the items listed already ordered? There are a few things that you could get cheaper versions of and still have as good or better performance. The strc casters and knuckles will develope a lot of play in no time so go with rpm knuckles, maybe save a few bucks there. The hr slipper set-up will probably be a pretty penny, instead use the strc top shaft with an ae slipper set-up. Might be cheaper and I know will perform better. Venom lipos are also a bit more money than say an smc or somthing similar. just read your way over budget and thought I could have you some bucks. Good luck with the build!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah...its all ordered and on the way. Most of what you mentioned is already in my parts bin but in reserve for yet another slash mt build.

This space reserved

^^^ if you use dry graphite lube on the moving alum parts, the slop will not show up.

Ah sweet... I have some of that

This space reserved

+1 rag.

I used the graphite powder on all my pins and such. Keeps dirt and gunk from caking on their as quickly. Good ole trick a buddy of mine taught me.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Should I get the slash chassis saver for this project or is there a diy solution?

This space reserved

Body choice is made

Well after much deliberation I have settled on a body for my Slash along with some custom vinyl graphics.

The body will be the Proline Baja Bug part number 3238 Painted with Pactra RC280 metallic black rattle can. Single color so should turn out way better than the first body I painted for my p2de.

I ordered this vinyl graphic http://www.ebay.com/itm/321237779767...84.m1439.l2649 Which will stick on the top with the legs just kinda going wherever they lay on the curves.

A couple more graphics I will have to have made. I know a guy that does vinyl so he is making me this (made it in photoshop) to put on the hood and two smaller versions to put on the doors. Doing it for a trade for some computer work.

The last graphic will be a simple black widow spider to put on the end cap of the motor. Haven't found anything I like or can use with permission yet.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier

TheFixxer73's Slash Project

Or u can join the party n go with the Bajr body from jconcepts

"Jedi Master"

Looked.at them both and liked the proline better. Your black and red does make the jconcepts body look tight though.

This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    Proline does have the best bug look.
    "Jedi Master"

Good ole trick a buddy of mine taught me.
    As long as you are not running in wet, the dry lube will stick and stay forever. Get it wet and it turns to sand on those nice new polished pins.....

Some of my goodies arrived today. They rest of my stuff should be here Tuesday. Mostly all the STRC aluminum.

This space reserved

What are the stock camber and toe link lengths for the slash?
    This space reserved

Quote Originally Posted by Thefixxer73 View Post
    What are the stock camber and toe link lengths for the slash?
    See if this is of service to you.
    http://traxxas.com/node/10068