Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Racer
    I had one of my servos go out, so I decided to go to a single servo setup, and not wanting to spend a lot, I went with a Solar D772 from Hobbypartz.

At less than $20, I figured it was worth a try, and I like that it handles high voltage.

Since it has a 23 tooth spline, I ordered a new arm. I know Integy is a four letter word around here, but it's actually very good.

Out of the box, the servo was good, but not quite as strong and fast as I wanted it to be, though certainly workable. I know a lot of people use an external BEC, but I got one of these cables for $.99 and thought it was worth a shot.

It gets it's power directly from one of my 2S packs through the balance port, which gives it high voltage as well as takes a load off the ESC BEC. With this, the servo has more than enough torque. The limitation now is the servo saver, which the servo can completely overpower now. I'm going to start with the washer mod and see how that does. For less than $20 for the whole setup, I'm very happy with it.
    Father: 1/10 Summit Mamba | Son: 1/16 Summit VXL

RC Racer
    Looking good man the solar servos are pretty good especially for the $$$$. My friend runs them hard and they keep on going. They are very accurate when centering themselves back once you let go of steering, and have very good holding power as well.
    Last edited by Chrisg81983; 12-28-2013 at 08:03 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg81983 View Post
    Looking good man the solar servos are pretty good especially for the $$$$. My friend runs them hard and they keep on going. They are very accurate when centering themselves back once you let go of steering, and have very good holding power as well.
    I've been really happy with mine. It's a bit noisy, but that really doesn't bother me - especially for the $. And like you said, it does it's job really well.

It's also nearly waterproof with rubber seals at the main body joints. Really easy to complete the job. I just added the tiny rubber o-rings from the screws on my defunct 2075 and packed the gears with traxxas marine grease. It's worked great so far.

It's snowing right now, so I'm hoping to take the trucks out tomorrow for some winter fun! Woohoo!

RC Racer
    A few shots of the new servo setup. I think I'm going to order an STRC aluminum single servo arm at some point to strengthen things a bit.

RC Racer
    The lights in the daylight:

I also put the motor fan back on:

RC Racer
    Had some very light snowfall last night - just enough to make everything a little bit slick, but nothing too significant. Took it out for some donuts.

I need some real snow around here! I haven't even been able to try out my plow or snow chains yet. The weather is not cooperating with my snow bashing plans!

RC Racer
    I got to bash in the snow yesterday and today. Such a blast. Here are a few pics:

The white thing covering the chassis is a shower cap. It worked amazingly well...for $1.99. I wouldn't run it except in the cold, but it's perfect for winter bashing. I put some videos in the video section.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsheasby View Post
    I had one of my servos go out, so I decided to go to a single servo setup, and not wanting to spend a lot, I went with a Solar D772 from Hobbypartz.

At less than $20, I figured it was worth a try, and I like that it handles high voltage.

Since it has a 23 tooth spline, I ordered a new arm. I know Integy is a four letter word around here, but it's actually very good.

Out of the box, the servo was good, but not quite as strong and fast as I wanted it to be, though certainly workable. I know a lot of people use an external BEC, but I got one of these cables for $.99 and thought it was worth a shot.

It gets it's power directly from one of my 2S packs through the balance port, which gives it high voltage as well as takes a load off the ESC BEC. With this, the servo has more than enough torque. The limitation now is the servo saver, which the servo can completely overpower now. I'm going to start with the washer mod and see how that does. For less than $20 for the whole setup, I'm very happy with it.
    So how well does this setup work? I am running the savox 1230sg and I have yet to install my bec.
    Drive Angry My Friends!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimskull View Post
    So how well does this setup work? I am running the savox 1230sg and I have yet to install my bec.
    It works great for me. It's a very simple setup and I've had no issues running it this way yet. Obviously, the voltage will change as the pack drains, but it's negligible. The voltage will be pretty high to start with (8.4 volts) on a freshly charged pack, so it will depend on if your servo can handle the high voltage. Mine has been fine and my guess is that yours will too. The wiring is very simple as well. Note that you will want the servo to be powered by the battery pack connected to the negative side (black wire) of the ESC.

RC Racer
    I finally got to try out my homemade snow plow, and it worked pretty well. I do want to change the design a bit for a stronger mount as well as a way to raise and lower it, but over all it did not too badly. Here's a video:

RC Champion
    My favorite part is the 1/16 summit doing donuts in the background.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by revoman78 View Post
    My favorite part is the 1/16 summit doing donuts in the background.
    That's my son's. He was having a blast!

RC Racer
    Took a couple of pictures. First one was at the park in basher mode. The last 3 are with my Axials/Moabs and some fun with my flash.

I also recently took off the aluminum A arms and went back to the stockers I broke the lower A arm (which was still stock) while bashing and I suspect it's because the top one was aluminum and didn't allow for any flex, which put all the stress on the lower. Better off with the stocks, I think. I also picked up a pair of STRC aluminum axle carriers (got a great deal) and they are excellent. I'm going I get them for the rear too at some point. I also got a Hot Racing slipper clutch for cheap but haven't installed it yet. I'll let you know how it works when I do. Love this truck! I'm going I add headlights soon and will post pics when I do.

RC Enthusiast

RC Racer
    Very cool

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Im planning on doing a hacked gt3b soon as i get the hardware in (on backorder right now) and then Im gonna tackle the 4ws and see how that goes. Oh, and im also using d772s! Small world! one for the front and one for the rear.
    Tekin 1900kv/Rx8 Summit
    1/10th Rally

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 10collin21 View Post
    Im planning on doing a hacked gt3b soon as i get the hardware in (on backorder right now) and then Im gonna tackle the 4ws and see how that goes. Oh, and im also using d772s! Small world! one for the front and one for the rear.
    Nice! I haven't got the hacking kit yet either but plan to soon. I'm using the 3rd channel for the hi/low gear and running without lockers for now. Love the D772s - so hard to beat for the $ - and awesome at high voltage. Good luck with the 4ws project - that will be sweet!

RC Racer
    Fun at the Park today. I honestly didn't know it would do standing back flips...especially on 2S and on grass... until I punched the throttle...

I got one of these cables for $.99 and thought it was worth a shot.

I was trying to find that cable. What it is called ? Did you get it from HobbyPartz, looks a lot simpler that hooking up a BEC.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Racer
    I searched "high voltage servo harness". I just looked on eBay and this is the cable I got:

http://bit.ly/1aXQjVX

I lucked out and got mine on a no reserve auction on which nobody else was bidding, so only $.99. I did not know they were so pricey normally. At this price, an external BEC that's adjustable may make more sense.

Traxxas Employee
    Fun at the Park today. I honestly didn't know it would do standing back flips...especially on 2S and on grass... until I punched the throttle...

I didn't know it would do that either. Nice!

RC Racer
    I finally got the chance to do the headlights and I love the outcome. Basically, I got one of these:

http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=8501

And one of these:

http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=8505

And one pack of these:

http://bit.ly/Mdlera (5mm Stainless Steel LED bezels)

And drilled 4 holes in through the headlights in the body, mounted the bezels, and wired the new lights into the existing lighting between the roof lights and main chassis lights. I was going to make my own harnesses, etc. but getting the traxxas parts was so much easier and cleaner. Pics:

That's it. It's super easy to do, and this truck puts out a TON of light now! It's pretty awesome.

RC Champion
    Ahhh crap something else I want.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Got a pic with lights off showing the headlight holders

RC Racer
    Here's one with the lights off showing the LEDs in the bezels. They aren't really very noticeable with the lights off unless you're looking.

RC Champion
    cool thanks think im going to order the bezels and some led's and make my own. 20 bezels and 20 led's off ebay is only $8

RC Racer
    That's definitely an option. Like I said, I was going to do the same, but just liked how clean the Traxxas parts made the install. I spent exactly $13.33 total for this setup getting the parts as cheap as possible on eBay. Either way is great, though. I can't wait to see how your truck comes out!

RC Champion
    You have some pic's of the underside and wiring? Finally got mine after thinking another ebay order got lost in the mail i contacted the seller and gave a full refund of a whole $6. Now i had to email them back and tell em they did show up and ask how they want me to pay for them.. go figure eh..

RC Enthusiast
    Wow! Really happy that I found this thread, your Summit ended up looking absolutely gorgeous! With the E-maxx wheels it looks funny, I don't know, kinda small, but with the Moab's it looks like a beast!! The next things I have to buy: MOABs, a clear body, gunmetal Tamiya lexan paint (don't have plastidip ). How is your Summit doing at crawling with that sensorless setup? And what gearing you ended up using?

RC Champion
    hmmmm me thinks he disappeared.. hehe gotta love work

anyone know if he would have just wired direct into lighting harness or put resistors inline?

RC Racer
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments and sorry for disappearing! Life has been really busy the last few weeks. Here is a shot of the underside:

As you can see, I did nothing other than connect the extra harness and lights up. It works great just like that.

As for the wheels, I'm actually going to sell the Emaxx ones. It's not the size - it's that they are zero offset. I'm going to get the Revo 3.3 geode wheels and tires so it will have a wider track.

I'm running 18/52 right now for gearing and I like the speed with that. I don't do a ton of technical crawling right now, but I have 14/62 gearing if I need it. It actually doesn't do too badly even with the tall gearing.

RC Champion
    He lives.. hehe
    Hmm traxxas must have the voltage regulated for the lights?

RC Racer
    Not sure exactly, but it works!

RC Racer
    Went to the track today and got filthy!

Some of you will say "I told you so." but the spline on my Integy servo horn stripped out. Argh. Going to try a Hot Racing one and see how that goes. In it's defense, I was taking some crazy big jumps and landing hard, but nothing else broke! Gotta love the view from the track...

RC Competitor
    Your Summit looks awesome, I especially like the blacked out chassis as I did the same thing with my Summit awhile back. Also that color body looks great Have you done any crawling/slow speed kinda stuff with the Mamba system? I just bought a Sidewinder 8th 2200kv system for my Summit. Curious to try it out.