RC poster

Dewalt 820 Gear vs Stock motor gearing

A friend an I were running our summits and I noticed my 820 19/68 summit vs his 14/68 titan 775 summit were the exact same speed, neither out accelerated the other nor was one faster than the other. Is this normal? Should I slam a larger pinion in the 820'd truck? Is there something Im missing here? Also should it be able to stand up in second gear or no?

How steep and rough were the rocks you were climbing?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    The Titan 775 has more speed and less torque and the DeWalt 820 has more torque and less speed.
    You can try a bigger pinion or a smaller spur gear on the DeWalt. But don't forget to check the EVX-2 temperatures. It may overheated if the difference is too much.
    You can try the same with the Titan 775 but this is more sensible because of the less torque. Anyway a 20T pinion with the 68T spur can go up to 50km/h - 31 mph.

Have fun!!

Dewalt 820 Gear vs Stock motor gearing

Quote Originally Posted by ScutuMix View Post
    The Titan 775 has more speed and less torque and the DeWalt 820 has more torque and less speed.
    You can try a bigger pinion or a smaller spur gear on the DeWalt. But don't forget to check the EVX-2 temperatures. It may overheated if the difference is too much.
    You can try the same with the Titan 775 but this is more sensible because of the less torque. Anyway a 20T pinion with the 68T spur can go up to 50km/h - 31 mph.

Have fun!!
    Pushing either one of the motors to 31mph is taking them out of their comfort zone. These are simply not meant for speed. The ESC temps would be less of a concern to me than the motor temps.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    They were both done on the flat street with proline trenchers.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kickcaffine View Post
    They were both done on the flat street with proline trenchers.
    I run the Dewalt with a 17t pinion with the stock spur. Has great low end and as fast as my stock Summits with the titan. Be careful with the 19t ,20t, or larger pinion. Really heats everything up quickly and expect to be fixing parts on the truck. I know I tried it.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Competitor
    Can I assume from this that with an 820 dewalt motor, same gearing as stock, you would only gain torque, but gearing up for a gain in speed is not recommended? I was debating on the 820 and trying to figure what the performnace gains would be, how are the 820's on batteries compared to a 775 with stock gearing?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by crashinator View Post
    Can I assume from this that with an 820 dewalt motor, same gearing as stock, you would only gain torque, but gearing up for a gain in speed is not recommended? I was debating on the 820 and trying to figure what the performnace gains would be, how are the 820's on batteries compared to a 775 with stock gearing?
    I tried the 820 Dewalt with the stock 14t pinion and stock spur and it has great low end but in hi gear it was a dog. I tried 11t, 14t, 17t, 19t, 21t pinions. I found that the 17t still has way better low end than stock, will go as fast as the stock in hi gear, and most importantly I had no heat issues or damaged parts. With a larger pinion gear the truck was faster than i liked, lost low end torque and I was replacing drive shafts. Like KSB said above the larger pinions begin to make the Summit something that is not with these motors. The 820 with 8200mah SPC batteries last me 1 to 1.5 hours bashing and 2 hours crawling. I love my Dewalts and would highly recommend them. I did Kershaw's conversion but you can do it yourself also. Lots of threads on both.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Competitor
    Super great info. I get what you men about making it something it's not, I thought about brushless but figure with a 13-14 pound truck I would be wrapped around a tree somewhere! I just put a KD 700Ho in an E maxx and was pleased with the results, better low end and 6 mph on top end. I tried the 700 in the summit and it was an improvement over the 775, but obviously not as much of one as in the e maxx. Time to order a Dewalt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1/10 Summit
    ERBE
    Emaxx
    Slayer Pro
    Revo 2.5