RC Enthusiast

Mamba Monster 2 setup/install advice PLZ

Hello everyone,

So i bought a MMM 2 ESC and 2200 combo over the weekend, thought installing would be easier than it is. At this point im kind of overwhelmed due to my noobness. Did my research, so people say i needed the king headz motor mount, and thankfully my LHS talked me out of it. I though the kingheadz was the only one that fits the 2200 because with my stock mount, the first few times it didnt fit(i didnt try hard enough). So i got 1 thing out of the way, 2nd problem, esc, got that out of the way as well by getting the mounting plate from revo. 3rd problem, relocating the Rx box. Ive seen ppl do fine with the stock box at the front, but some ppl say i need the emaxx box. Can someone explain why?? And how did people secure their boxes, whats better, velcro, tape, bolts??

Now to the main question, cant find the pitch of the pinion that came stock with my 2200. Its a 18t, 0.8 mod, doesnt mention the pitch though. So i ask the guy at my LHS, will the stock slash spur match this pinion from mamba? He says no, and starts making a kit for me that has revo spur clutch and pressure plates , added up to be 30$(he saved me money on the 35$ mount, but now screws me with the clucth??). So i got home and think to myself, why no just special order the pinion. Now, i remember he said he doesnt have the pinion i need, but i dont remember why, they dont carry or it doesnt exist. Apparently its hard to find a 5mm bore pinion that would match the pitch of a stock slash spur.
    Your thoughts?

Then there is the slipper bearing adapter.....what the heck is that and what is it for?? And why do ppl say i need to loosen my clutch, ive read somewhere that ppls bearings melt and then seize, is that why?

Sorry for the lenghty post but if someone could please help me out here, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    do you have the LCG slash?

2200 motor should fit with little bit of shaving at the chassis.
    KHZ is the best upgrade plus it help transfer heat.
    aluminum bearing adapter. stock one is plastic and with slipper clutch slipping a lot it will melt the adapter and seize the bearing.
    ebay/online store are your best choice of buying 5mm bore pinion with 32 pitch
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...pitch&_sacat=0
    bearing adapter
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Alum...item27d8e6bcd6
    KHZ motor mount (LCG/HCG)
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 10-07-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    humay has left the building, peace.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
    I have the regular 6808 slash 4x4.
    Alright so you say there is no point of converting my current setup for the revo spur etc etc?
    As for the adapter, can i get just the adapter and keep my plastic mount?? I have no clue where that bearing sits, is it right in that hole of the motor mount??

EDIT: oh so the KHZ hole is to big so thats wjy i need the adapter? Ok so why not get the traxxas mount which i assume fits without the adapter?
    Last edited by deniska; 10-07-2013 at 09:53 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    KHZ built theirs with larger bearing but you can still use the traxxas aluminum adapter .

RC Enthusiast
    ok i see.
    so why doesnt everyone buy the traxxas alumunium mount vs khz + adapter? Or does the traxxas aluminium mount also comes with a plastic bearing?

Love your slash btw, fancy wheels. On mine i got stampede tires, pretty big ones as well. i think thats what killed my old VXL, 23t pinion and these big tires was too much for that small velineon.
    Last edited by deniska; 10-07-2013 at 10:09 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    this is my P4de but HCG slash 4x4 share almost the same parts (front end/rear end) but the chassis. upgrades can only be buy individually unless they sell it as a kit.
    I have KHZ motor mount & traxxas bearing adapter.

Have a look through here...I installed one recently.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...4SH-%28xlMT%29.

I hope it helps mate.
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    can you please look at this link i found?

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114065

from what i understand the king headz bearing that comes with the mount is 10x19x5, and thats wjy i need the adapter so it could fit the slash's 10x15x4

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    only the OD (outer diameter) and thickness of the bearing that differ from the stock bearing, ID (inner diameter) stay the same.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    Have a look through here...I installed one recently.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...4SH-%28xlMT%29.

I hope it helps mate.
    Had a quick browse, will look into it tomorrow. I see why you used a different Rx box now, but the stock one will still be ok right? Just as your avatar says, all comes down to money, i dont wanna spend crazy bucks, neither do i wanna spend a tons of time, i would love to sit down for a few days and do a good job vs half-a55ing

Edit: so i saw you have a revo slipper clutch, i see its bigger than slash's, why did you decide to go with it?

to humayrayakongkinaon

So what the point of the adapter then? man im sorry but im just not getting it
    Last edited by deniska; 10-07-2013 at 11:15 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the aluminum adapter don't melt like the plastic ones, if your slipper clutch loose (slipping) then the plastic adapter will melt and can cause seize to your bearing, you got to remember you have that spring compress to the adapter and when it gets to hot then that plastic adapter will turn flat like a pancake.

RC Racer

Mamba Monster 2 setup/install advice PLZ

Reply to post #8
    The bearing adapter is a piece of plastic that comes with your car that is a part of the slipper. It goes from the slipper shaft to the inside of the bearing. When a bearing seizes the motor mount around the bearing and the bearing adapter inside the bearing melts. This is why you buy the aluminum adapter. Now the reasons for buying the kingheadz is- One is it helps keep the bearing and motor cool by dissipating heat and also it comes with a larger bearing that reduces the chances of seizing. Also the pinion that came with the 2200kv is 32 pitch i believe and should work with the stock spur. I hoped that clarified a few things for you.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Last edited by pede1497; 10-07-2013 at 11:27 PM.

RC Champion
    If you are re-locating your RX box to the front of your chassis, you will need the Stampede Receiver Box. TRX3628. Hope that helps.

Hello, I would alao like to chime in. It seems you do not have the most knowledgeable staff at your local hobby shop. Everyone is correct when they are telling you the Kings Headz motor mount is the way to go. I have it on both of my trucks and swear by it. You need the Stampede receiver box. It screws right into place without any modifications. You did good starting a post here. We will help you through all your problems.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks a lot guys for all your input, i love the traxxas community, alive as usual!!!

Oh ok that makes more sense with the adapter bearing, i thought the adapter was only needed if i use the kingheadz, but no i know it comes stock just in "not-so-great" plastic form. Phew, ok so got that out of they way too.

I think i will stay with the stock Rx box, although the stampede one could save me a ton of time, ill just usea dremel tool and save $20+.

So do you guys run the revo slipper clutch assembly as well or is the stock one just as fine??

Thanks

I fund it for a little less expensive. If you look around you can find it for less than $7.00! It makes things a lot easier to deal with. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Band...80701537188%26
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S 2400 MIP King Headz RPM 3PL

RC Racer
    Some people run the revo one because is is bulkier but the stock one is just fine.

Sent from Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Do you have to relocate the receiver box on the LCG chassis? I'm thinking about dropping this same combo in. I'm thinking I have seen this both ways? I just ordered an STRC mounting plate for ESC and thought that would do it. I have also seen the Traxxas part used. So can this be done without moving the receiver box? I want to keep the "CG" as "L" as possible!

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah you know i just ordered the Rx box, shipping for me was 10$, came out to $13....whatever. Ebay is always a hit and a miss, im looking at the adapter, its $6 at LHS, but almost double on ebay. Thanks for the link

Finally got some time and mood to take the transmission assembly, popped up the exploded view online, and now i see where this adapter is, wow.....i was way off, i thought it was not where it actually is. I though it was just an add-on part that was never meant to be there

Ok so i have the Rx box on it way, adapter sometime this week at LHS, esc mount out of the way, will order the motor mount right now. Now pinion.....what do you guys recommend? I killed my VXL by using 23 tooth pinion, so now my number one priority is safety!! I want this combo to last as much as possible. I bet the 2200 motor has no problem turning the 23t pinion, but i still wanna play it on the safe side.

EDIT: I know i need a 32 pitch, but WHY does my spur say 0.8 mod? Shouldnt it also be 32p???

So i took my pinion from my old velineon setup, and i KNOW its a 32p, and it fits perfectly with my 0.8 spur which actually shouldnt match. Correct? Then i take the pinion that came with my mamba, which is 0.8(says on the gear itself), and put it against 0.8 spur(says on the gear itself), and guess what? Its not as fine of a mesh as 0.8 with 32p. Was reading all day at work, everything made sense, says match spur and pinion pitches and MOD's (1, 0.8 etc etc), and now i get home and im confused again haha
    Last edited by deniska; 10-08-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Here you go mate...I have an explanation of gearing in this thread that may be of some use to you.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5474644
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Enthusiast
    "Always use metric pinions with metric spurs"

Hence the confusion, my spur says M 0.8 (stock slash spur), yet it doesnt mesh (perfectly) with my stock 2200 motor pinion (that came with the motor) that also says M 0.8. But when i use the stock slash spur with 32p pinion, it meshes perfectly. I can get a picture if you'd like

RC Enthusiast
    hey everyone again, so i finally got everything together, pinion, rx box, motor mount, and esc plate. Followed the guide on how to setup the mamba monster, and NOTHING works. Green light keeps flashing on the ECS, meaning to link between the Rx and Tx. made sure the esc was plugged in CH2, steering is CH1(the one next to CH2, not the other CH1). Any suggestions? Just charged my battery, so thats good, controller battery replaced, good connection at the receiver (everything plugged in fully).
    THX

oh and just noticed the receiver light doesnt light up for some reason.

OK NVM, turns out there is no tab on the connector that goes from esc to the receiver, so its easy to mix up the orientation. which is exactly what i did.
    Last edited by deniska; 10-30-2013 at 10:04 PM.