Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Racer

Latrax Rally: let the fun begin

So I got my hands on one.

What has this thing been screaming for?

Brakes

Front

Rear
    or where ever you want to put them. I'll probably work on a few other styles.

I'm sure everyone wants to know what fits in the battery tray.
    6 cell series 1

like a glove.

Li-po

Yep, what about the hold down?

Nope, so...

Lets fix that and add some wire management.

Also working on adjustable links.

Radio wheels and buttons

3D printed rubber tires anyone

Working on a few other parts.

Overall the car is a blast to drive. Even on a carpet touring track it moves out and isn't boringly slow. I've radared it at 15mph on 5cell 17mph on 6cell and 20mph on 2s lipo. That was on the track though and it wasn't completely wound out.
    The steering is a little loose. You don't really notice it except when you're trying to accelerate really hard out of a corner. The diffs being loose doesn't help either. It usually pulls to one side so you have to roll into the throttle.
    Out of the box it under steers(pushes) pretty good. Standing the front shocks up and leveling the hinge pins gets it pretty neutral. There really is a lot of adjustability in the chassis.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    You lucky dog!!!

BTW totally awesome and thanks for sharing. I'm still waiting on mine.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Awesome! Please, do me a favor, can you tell me the size of the box and shows us one pic of it? Thanks!
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Champion
    Looks good, you should make a video of it.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Racer
    I also have the only current option part for the rally

Driven Productions drift tires. They work ok with the stock rims, but I figured why not design some better working/different looking wheels.
    It's not exactly a brilliant drifter right now. The diffs are very loose and that makes drifting just about impossible. The tires do their job, the car just wants to go every which way but straight. Except when you're trying to turn, then it does a very good job of going straight into the wall.

Very short clips I shot while testing the 3D printed tires.
    According to our tame racing driver they are slightly better in that they are more consistent that the stock tires. They didn't generate so much grip that it wanted to traction roll at every corner.
    I also have another set of tires that I vented(where as the stock tires are pneumatic) and that helped calm the car down.

RC Racer

I has blue

lots of blue

I didn't really expect parts to show up. I had already started designing a spool.

7550R is two drive shafts, some are advertising as four, but it's just two.

One interesting note is that there are no set screws. The pins seem to be pressed in.

Working on the servo saver.

Double the preload of the stock washer. Hopefully that keeps it on track.

Love the blue parts!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Love the blue parts!
    Which ones

Came up with a cool looking diffuser

Also a wheels to match the others

Somethings not quite right here

Last edited by GeoVW72; 11-03-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoVW72 View Post
    Which ones
    Umm, all of them!

Somethings not quite right here
    Doesn't look like you'll be running it in that condition...

GeoVW you need to quit teasing us....You know that is not at all fair game!!!

Murrrrr!!!

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer

I found out that yes, you can swap the ends on the latrax car. the linkage is the obvious problem so I made it.
    How does it work out... to quote the Mythbusters "failure is always an option". The steering works fine, drift tires do their job and I had two spools. The car is just odd. One way it snapped around, the other it didn't want to initiate a drift.
    Not sure if the stiff shocks are the problem, it could just be the way the car's laid out. I've build a standard touring car the same way(everything on the top deck) and it also handled poorly. All the weight up high does some funky things.
    I'll probably revisit the layout after the oil shocks come out and I do some more tweaking to the car.

Keep the updates coming.

Like what you did with the ESC to Battery plug. I had the same idea but only utilizing Traxxas. I'm not fond of the ole Tamiya style. Not sure how long i'll keep the stock brushed combo in there.

I had plans to slap a Micro Castle Combo in there. Remembered I still have a VXL-3M and Brushless 380 that might fit. oooh yaaaa
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Where did you get the brake calipers? Those look awesome!
    Roll cages are RC training wheels

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    He printed them. You guys should hire him for scale accessories lol.

Which track were you testing at? I am assuming near Washington PA?
    Last edited by rag6; 11-07-2013 at 07:07 AM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    He printed them. You guys should hire him for scale accessories lol.
    That's awesome, can I assume the diffuser is printed too? I was planning on making one for my Rally out of lexan. All the parts look awesome!
    Last edited by 3_rolls; 11-07-2013 at 09:51 AM.
    Roll cages are RC training wheels

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    He printed them.
    I will never get used to people saying that--such cool technology!

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I will never get used to people saying that--such cool technology!
    That's no lie! Wish I was lucky enough to have a 3D printer at my disposal.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    The mini molex(tamiya) plugs are a little annoying. It would have been cool to come up with a mini traxxas plug.

Yep I printed the calipers, just came up with a few more

Big six piston fronts

e-brake for the rear

I also printed the diffuser, came up with a new big one

Lexan would be slight more durable, I'm not planning or running into anything fast backwards though.

For those that want a stronger servo, stock mount doesn't really work so I made one that does

I guess this thread kind of needs a link to the Thingiverse

3D printing is awesome You find all kinds of reasons to make things. I'm actually kind of surprised that it hasn't become a real part of the hobby yet. Printers are going to become cheaper, Radioshack is going to start selling them. You can actually build one fairly cheep. Makibox looks interesting, you don't need a huge build plate for most r/c parts. Just wait until the day you drive to Bestbuy to pick up some new material like you were buying paper.

A little size comparo

rag6, I go all the way up to Beaver to John's track. Lots of on-road there.
    Last edited by GeoVW72; 11-08-2013 at 03:46 AM.

Latrax Rally: let the fun begin

wow, some cool stuff going on here man.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-11-2013 at 11:57 PM.
    there's no life like a LOW LIFE!
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    Swapping the ends of the rally right way round I figured I'd see if the vxl-3m would fit.

It fits, kind of. The spacing of the screws on the motor plate isn't right. Dremel work should fix that.
    I wouldn't run it though. The little differentials would give out pretty quick.
    If you do put one in, pics or it didn't happen, I want to see how they held up.

To echo what I posted elsewhere:
    The Latrax receiver(#3046) will bind with a TQi and the current TQ/i(no i, 3rd gen?) but does not bind with the older TQ LINK line.

Thanks for passing that info along. I think I'll leave it bone stock for my Dad. We'll see what happens. Shoot I might send the Rally back and go with a 1/16 Fiesta brushed instead.

The 1/18 Rally is scheduled for delivery today.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Is that a Traxxas lipo for 1/16 scale? Are these rally's safe for lipo even? It says right in the manual 5-6 cell NiMH only. But I would love to run 2s just for faster charge times alone.
    Drag It!

Page 13 of the manual gives the directions for enabling/disabling the ESC's low voltage detection, not for use with NiMH.
    You cannot reconcile that with your statement. ESC specs are given as you stated EXCEPT for the all-important word, "only."
    Given that 6-cell NiMH packs have a higher maximum voltage than 2S LiPo packs, there is no reason that "only" should be assumed.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Page 13 of the manual gives the directions for enabling/disabling the ESC's low voltage detection, not for use with NiMH.
    You cannot reconcile that with your statement. ESC specs are given as you stated EXCEPT for the all-important word, "only."
    Given that 6-cell NiMH packs have a higher maximum voltage than 2S LiPo packs, there is no reason that "only" should be assumed.
    Yeah I wasn't writing it down word for word from my manual. And I thought it seemed odd that it would even have lvd if it could only run NiMH batteries. I just wanted to ask first and be sure before I blew my motor or ESC up. I want to go brushless just not yet lol. So is that a 1/16 size lipo battery then though?
    Drag It!

See post #1.

See post #1.
    it just says lipo
    Drag It!

Apologies, I assumed you could read the "Traxxas Power Cell LIPO, 25C 7.4V 2-CELL 2200MAH" written on the battery label in the 5th photo.
    Yes, it is a 1/16-size LiPo.

Apologies, I assumed you could read the "Traxxas Power Cell LIPO, 25C 7.4V 2-CELL 2200MAH" written on the battery label in the 5th photo.
    Yes, it is a 1/16-size LiPo.
    Yes I could read that. But sorry I'm not some battery god? Sorry I didn't know that that battery was for 1/16 scale? Sorry Ive never owned something v this size? Sorry I'm at work and on my cell phone so its kind of hard to look every little thing up? I'm here for the love of the sport to help others when I can and get help when I need it. Not to be made fun of by a marshal of all people. Just saying.........
    Drag It!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    Yes I could read that. But sorry I'm not some battery god? Sorry I didn't know that that battery was for 1/16 scale? Sorry Ive never owned something v this size? Sorry I'm at work and on my cell phone so its kind of hard to look every little thing up? I'm here for the love of the sport to help others when I can and get help when I need it. Not to be made fun of by a marshal of all people. Just saying.........
    I dont think he was trying to make fun of you.. just simply stating he thought you could see the writing.
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

Either way the past is the past. I could see the writing but I didn't know of it was a 1/16 battery or not which is why I directly asked that to begin with. Sometimes a simple yes or no is better. Haha
    Drag It!

Quote Originally Posted by 08kgraves View Post
    It was when your reply made me consider that you couldn't see the words that I posted the information you were looking for. I suppose a yes or no would have sufficed, but in all honesty I'm unused to being upbraided for being thorough. I'll allow others to answer your questions in the future.

It was when your reply made me consider that you couldn't see the words that I posted the information you were looking for. I suppose a yes or no would have sufficed, but in all honesty I'm unused to being upbraided for being thorough. I'll allow others to answer your questions in the future.

sorry, it was just something about the way you worded it that made it seem like you were being sarcastic with your response. and thinking you were being sarcastic was what kinda set me off a little lol. no hard feeling from me sir. i think i was just already annoyed a little from something else when i responded as well. so i honestly do appologize. you have helped me alot in the past on here, just wrong moment wrong time? either way i found out the info that needed to be found.

and i ended up calling traxxas and asking them some things directly. just like you suggested they verified that the esc can 100% handle 2s but nothing more. there just concerned about the motor. they even said that it heated up quite a bit and quickly on 2s and said that they didnt even know how long it would hold up to it. but they said as long as i gear it down from stock the motor should last a good while as well. just thought i would share that info
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    Yes that is a Traxxas #2820 battery shoehorned in there.

You have to rotate it in with a little force, but it fits in just fine.
    Skinny end flat on the tray,

rotate along the long end.

Took me a min to figure out how it was getting in there.

Go to run the car the right way round with the spool and other mods. It didn't want to make a 90 into the wall, but the torque steer was still there. The pins on the plastic drive-shafts started to move, not sure if you are supposed to transfer the anti-spread collars from the stock diffs.
    The car does funky things when the pins are dragging, hopping around all over the place. The aluminum CVs stay in place though. I also noticed that the stock drive-shafts in the stock diff will bind up occasionally, if your car's acting funky look there first.

The esc will handle 2s with the cut-off, mine doesn't even have the right sticker and it's still there. The motor does get hot, though it always seems to run hot. Not sure what to do about gearing, I'm guessing it's standard mini-pitch? Setting the mesh is going to be a paint too.

thanks for the tip. i think these ones should fit in there a little bit better. and i have seen and heard nothing but good about spc batteries. for $20 its a 2s 7.4V 50c 2500mah with traxxas lead 89.5mm long x 33.5mm wide x 19.5mm tall, 120g

that traxxas battery is 88mm long x 35mm wide x 20mm tall. so im really hoping that the 1.5mm skinnier and .5mm shorter will make it go in a bit easier. i may or may not have ordered 2 already

i will for sure keep the diffs in mind. i know i plan on getting the ball diffs once available. as far as gearing i want to say i read somewhere that its mod .5 pitch. and when i was talking to traxxas they verified that its the standard 1/8" / 3mm shaft size. so probably pick up a 13T and a 12T for keeping the temps down enough.

edit: just found where the gear pitch was. if you go to latrax.com click the rally then go down to specs it brings it all up and theres a spot that says gear pitch .5 mod. i dont know if thats the same as mini or what, but thats what she takes.
    Last edited by 08kgraves; 11-20-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    Got a set of aluminum oil shocks in. Springs are much lighter, should be much better than the stock pogos given that the chassis can actually compress them. They're also longer, the rear arms can actually level out.

I guess one ball-stud made it through qc without being threaded

Did anyone find a good wrench for the ball-studs?
    I made my own and a stand to let the shocks vent.

Nice! I haven't decided if I'm going to change the shocks, I might dye everything black, I don't like the Lego color scheme...
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

have any better pics of the shocks? are they threaded body adjusters as well? side by side to stock ones would be great if you could so we can see how different they are in length and what not.
    Drag It!

RC Racer
    Yep, they have threaded adjusters.

They're just a few mm longer, but it gets the rear close to arms level

Getting the correct ride height can be done on the lower hub hole. Which I'm defiantly happy with.

More pics

very nice indeed. cant wait to get a set of my own now especially after seeing them better.
    Drag It!

RC Racer

Ball-diff found

Found a ball-diff that fits

From another 18 platform.