Traxxas Employee

Metal driveshafts in a Telluride

Okay, you want metal driveshafts for your Telluride. Unfortunately you already know that the Stampede 4x4 driveshafts are too long because the Telluride has shortened A-arms. The way I see it, you have two choices: you can sit in the corner and cry about it or man-up and do something about it. After several hours of crying in the corner I realized I wasn't getting anywhere so that's when I decided to do something about it.

Here is the problem. The driveshaft on the right is the Telluride at the shortest travel point on my suspension. On the left is the metal driveshaft for the Stampede at its most compressed state.

It's not much of a difference, but it's enough to prevent you from installing them as they are. The good news is that the driveshafts don't compress much as the wheel travels up and down. I doubt there is more than 4mm of compression. The Telluride driveshafts offer way more travel than they actually need. That gave me an idea. What if I shortened the half shaft? Voila!

Make sure you have a good rotary tool and a nice new cutting wheel. At 25,000 rpm, it took about 20 seconds to cut through the half shaft. Be careful how much you remove. The trouble with the driveshafts is that internal splines of the other half shaft do not go all the way to the end. If you cut off too much of the nickle plated driveshaft, you will run out of splines and the driveshaft will spin and strip out.

Once you've cut it off, make sure you grind a slight bevel onto the end of the halfshaft. This will make it insert easier into the splines. Also make sure that you gently sand the valleys of the splines themselves to remove any burrs. It should look neat and clean.

Now I have metal driveshafts for my Telluride:

I don't really care if they are much stronger than the stock plastic shafts. I prefer these because you don't get rocks and mud inside the half shafts like you do on the plastic ones. Once the plastic ones get some grit in them, they lock up. I also just wanted to see if it could be done. It can.

There is no binding at all. The suspension still has its full range of motion. I have not tried the rears yet because I don't have the driveshafts. I don't see any reason why it won't work the same way. The rear driveshafts don't appear to compress any more than the fronts.
    Last edited by E-Maxxdude; 10-29-2013 at 02:11 AM.

RC Champion
    Creative thinking there.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

Nice job. Very creative!
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh