RC poster

Rally vs. Slash 4x4

Hello people, Hyper Chicken here. After months of research into this, I've finally decided to jump into this hobby, but have yet to decide between these two vehicles. I don't plan on buying another RC after this purchase for a long while, so I'm looking for a vehicle that does everything pretty well. Here's somethings to consider before giving your two cents:

-I live in Canada, so the weather isn't going to be too ideal. I'd be looking at snow, rain, mud and what not for most of the year. Ideal conditions are few and far between.
    -There's is no RC stores or tracks anywhere near me. So, I'm going to be going o'natural and taking it around local areas, mainly offroad. No rally tracks for me. With that being said, I don't want a vehicle that will have parts break on me easily.
    -This is my first and possibly last RC. As I said before, I'm looking for something that does everything well. All the way from going through muddy patches, to snow, to pavement.

Honestly, from a novices perspective, the Rally looks a more enticing. Although I've done alot of research into the car, I'm still not sure if it can handle all the terrain and weather that it will be thrown into. For example, I don't know how the rally would handle moderate amounts of mud, snow, ice, or how can modify the vehicle to be more off-road oriented. Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 03-26-2015 at 11:04 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Hi and welcome!

Have both...
    Would go for the Slash 4x4.
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Champion
    If you buy the rally and modify it to be more off road worthy you will end up with a slash anyway.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Competitor
    Slash 4x4 all the way! You'll be happy with Ultimate.

I have both trucks and reading about your driving conditions I'd vote for the Sl4sh. If you were going to be on road most of the time I'd say Rally.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Racer
    +1 for slash 4x4. The lcg isn't that great for off road as it sits to low

RC Qualifier
    i'll add my vote for the slash 4x4 as well. there's just better versatility there. i will 100% recommend the LCG chassis, the way it handles and flies compared to the original chassis is just unreal. as someone else said.. you'll be happy with the ultimate.

RC Racer
    Slash 4x4 ultimate......
    Slash 4x4 and 10 other Models. Too Much !

RC poster
    I've had both and I think either would work if you just got some bigger tires for the mud and snow...
    But out of the box, Slash 4x4. Check out the Summit too

RC poster
    I have both I like the slash for jumps and short course racing put it is not the best for street the rally is really well rounded if you put new tires on it I put trencher for proline yellow dot and the raise and put 50 weight shock oil in both it works great both good the rally has a HUGE problem with the lcg chassis it will flex and snap the drive train I have gone though 3 of them

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bugbldrjr View Post
    I have both I like the slash for jumps and short course racing put it is not the best for street the rally is really well rounded if you put new tires on it I put trencher for proline yellow dot and the raise and put 50 weight shock oil in both it works great both good the rally has a HUGE problem with the lcg chassis it will flex and snap the drive train I have gone though 3 of them
    What?..........

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bugbldrjr View Post
    do you use the chassis brace

RC Competitor
    I'm having a similar dilemma between the regular 4wd slash and the Ultimate, which is a lowered version like the Rally.

I would like to use one car for two venues: One is in a 4wd modified class on flat asphalt; the other is an indoor carpet track with numerous jumps. I like the Slash Ultimate because its components are upgraded, lowered, and I plan on getting a different transmitter/receiver anyway. But I don't know how well it would do on jumps.

I understand the lowered Slash or the Rally would work best for flat track races, but not as well on a jump track. And the high sprung Slash would work best on the jumps, but not as well for flat track races. If I were to get one vehicle for both venues, which would be recommended? What simple quick mods would help between venues to improve performance suitable for the track?

I was considering the higher sprung Slash 4wd and changing the tires to something with a bit less traction so it would slide a bit in the curves to compensate for the higher center of gravity. But I guess that would put the truck at a disadvantage because of the speed loss in the curves. Or would the lowered version work best for both? Other thoughts?
    Last edited by gfmucci; 03-16-2015 at 01:50 PM.

you cont convert between the two for the cost of the body and bumpers. if it was all off road i would say stampede 4x4. if it was mostly on road and groomed off road tracks i would say rally. i think the slash 4x4 will be the best of both worlds for you.
    Whatever you are, be a good one.

RC Champion
    PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I have both. Sl4sh LCG is better.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    If you can have 2 RC's = 1/10 rally and 1/10 Stampede 4x4

If you can only have 1 single RC = Slash 4x4 and buy Stampede sized rims/tires and an extra truck body.

RC Racer
    I have both rally and slash LCG. For bashing rally isn't that great, this stupid bumper is always in the way. I am planning to convert it Slash. Convert means just change the bumper and the body shell.

Quote Originally Posted by almach1 View Post
    If you can have 2 RC's = 1/10 rally and 1/10 Stampede 4x4

If you can only have 1 single RC = Slash 4x4 and buy Stampede sized rims/tires and an extra truck body.
    I agree but not completely. For your two RCs. 1) Rally 2) Slash LCG/p4de hybrid (run 1/8 buggy or MT tires) I like the 2.8 tires stretched on 3.2 rims personally.

[IMG][/IMG]

4S w/ 1/8 Badlands absolutely RIPS!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    2650Kv sl4sh•8S Rally•4300HD Rally•2 sl4sh 4kids

RC Competitor
    As long as you get a lgc chassis (slash or rally) it could easily go from on road, to SCT(buggy) and then to monster truck . difference would be tires,shocks, springs and a body to be shared or dedicated for each.

I like having a hcg chassis on the MT. Throw in a 3rd car and I have a Rustler for more simple 2wd fun.
    Last edited by almach1; 03-29-2015 at 11:55 AM.

RC Racer
    This choice was made easy for me. £250 for the rally rtr or £400 for the slash rtr.

Since I like proline shells and wheels anyway I don't mind buying those and have the bonus of having the rally parts for colder months and dark days.

Plus the rally has the lcg chassis isn't it only the slash platnium rowing that atm. What's the prices between them in usa?

$700 is alot for an rc which is around £400 I think.

RC Champion
    Using AMain.com prices: The Rally is $440 USD. The Platinum is $400 USD. Prices on TowerHobbies.com are identical.

The Ultimate also has the LCG chassis --- it's $590 USD though!
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Racer
    I bought the rally... loved it until I started driving it at a track. The foam bumper was jamming me to a dead stop alot and the body was parachuting terribly. As the Slashes and set's soared and didn't jam their nose in jumps I decided to change it to a Slash. I still would want a car shell and some type of bumper if someone else had this frustration and solved it. I made a hybrid bumper with an rpm and cut the foam to accommodate it, but the focus body was grabbing so much air I was like forget it.

RC Racer
    Currently it has Slash bumpers and the Bajr body. Was thinking of a Parma muscle car body though

slash buggy is the best way to go in my opinion. you lose the front and rear bumpers and the buggy body doesnt catch air like the slash body and it also doesnt get beat up as bad. oh yeah and it sits right over the chassis and helps keep debris out. pretty much the only con is that you get less air flow to cool stuff down

RC Racer
    Skmfkr thanks for the advice

RC Racer
    I have the rally and a hcg slash converted to lcg chassis and love them both for different reasons.
    The rally is great fun on road and Dirt tracks forest areas short grass,
    The slash is setup for more heavy duty off-road bumbs and jumps with badlands fitted
    Out of the two the rally is more versatile but both can be changed around to suit
    sweet and sour traxxas power

RC Enthusiast
    Ha! What a coincidence. I'm in, or was in, the same boat, picking between 1/10 Rally or Slash Platinum (to be built into a Rally). I found a Slash Platinum LCG rolling chassis on eBay, and went ahead and bought that, since it comes with aluminum upgrades. Plus, I already have sufficient electronics, and wanted to pick out my own rally body. I think I've decided on the Associated ProRally clear body and white wheels, with Pro-Line Striker SC rally tires.

RC Champion
    Sounds great rcdabbler. You got to show us your Rally once it's all together
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    Sounds great rcdabbler. You got to show us your Rally once it's all together
    Definitely, man. I just placed my order on AMain for the body, wheels, and paint. I hope to have it all assembled, painted, and running by June. It's funny...I've been doing nothing but scale trucks since last July, and think I hit a brick wall, after a recent trailing excursion. It's time to take a break and do some bashing. Plus, I'd wanted a 1/10 Rally, before I got into scale trucks, so really, I've just come full circle.

RC Champion
    And, the plus is, with bumpers, body posts, shell and tires changed, you have an LCG Sl4sh too.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Enthusiast
    Later in the evening, yesterday, as I was going down my parts list, I realized I hadn't ordered a servo yet. While I was doing that, I began to think about how much longer it might actually be before I could get around to doing a custom paint job, since a Rally body begs more flair that a normal car or truck, and I'm still new at painting, but want to do it right. On the other hand, seeing that I would have the chassis and other necessary pieces all within a week or two, I realized I could have it running very soon, and began to search eBay for a pre-painted body that I might use initially. This sort of contradicted my choice of getting a clear body to paint myself. However, as I thought about it, it made sense to have a "basher" body for breaking in the new truck, since it'll take time to figure it out and tune properly, so I found a stock Traxxas Rally body (blue), for under $30. This will be my first experience with the Traxxas Slash platform, and first 1/10 scale 4x4 basher, so I'm really looking forward to it.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    And, the plus is, with bumpers, body posts, shell and tires changed, you have an LCG Sl4sh too.
    Okay, is this essentially what I need to mount the Traxxas Rally body on a Slash 4x4 LCG chassis?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rcdabbler View Post
    Okay, is this essentially what I need to mount the Traxxas Rally body on a Slash 4x4 LCG chassis?

Yes. That's all you need for mounting.

Add a rally Lexan shell and rally tires and you have transformed your LCG Sl4sh into a Rally.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Enthusiast
    Terrific! I actually got a Slash Platinum 4x4 chassis off eBay, and put together my own Rally wheels, using Associated Rally rims and Pro-Line Striker SC tires. I also picked up a prepainted Traxxas Rally body off eBay, fairly cheap. Eventually, I'll paint my Associated ProRally body, for a total custom ride, but the TRX body will be fine for breaking it in.

The Platinum chassis came with Slash bumpers, so at some point I'll probably get a PL Desert Raid body, so I can use them, because I really like that one.

This is where I was, yesterday morning. It's a full, motorized roller, now. Just need the mounts.

Looks like you have a sweet build going on. I'm really interested in how the strikers perform. I've been tossing around the idea of getting some and throwing them on my beadlocks.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RadReptiles831 View Post
    Looks like you have a sweet build going on. I'm really interested in how the strikers perform. I've been tossing around the idea of getting some and throwing them on my beadlocks.
    Thanks. I'm happy with the direction, so far. The Strikers will only mount on a SCT 2.2"/3.0" rim. I think they were specifically intended for Rally cars based off a SCT platform.