RC Racer

xl-5 esc going bad???

Ok guys...I'm stumped.
    My kids xl-5 loses peak power after about 2 minutes. ....the problem..is the power level goes so far down it's almost like the batteries close to dead. Can barley spin the back tires at this point.

First I swapped brushed motors...same thing happend.
    Recharge a battery only on 1amp....same
    Tested volts comming out of esc.....good

So just now...fully charged 3000 mAh nihm....tested volts...can't remember exactly. .but 9.??
    Drove truck...after the estimated 2 minutes...retested the battery...9.1 volts

So....that tells me something is going on with the esc, right??
    Esc...isn't hot.....nor blinking any codes.

I'm stumped.

Oh...and when this happens...it's not a sudden notice....just acts just like it would running battery down over ten minutes or so....just really fast drain acting.
    ...and I have three different batteries.....two of them I know are fairly new. (15 cycles estimated)
    But since the volts are still over the 9 mark...I would say battery isn't the issue.

Probably not, but trying to help: Maybe you have the version with Low Voltage Cutoff which you accidentally switched on?
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Even with LVC on it would take longer than that to die out.
    And we thought toy grade RC's where cool...

RC Racer
    Sounds like the battery isn't fully charged I. Know my NiMH comes off the charger at around 10.5 - 11 and that is an 7 cell. When i am done running it is around 8.5-9.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Probably not, but trying to help: Maybe you have the version with Low Voltage Cutoff which you accidentally switched on?
    I have already checked that. In fact I changed it to sport mode today...and same thing.
    I tried to re calibrate the controller too.

Quote Originally Posted by luckybobb View Post
    Sounds like the battery isn't fully charged I. Know my NiMH comes off the charger at around 10.5 - 11 and that is an 7 cell. When i am done running it is around 8.5-9.
    Tomorrow ...I will get an exact reading with a fully charged battery and see what I'm getting.

Oh...and I've got a older yellow version of the xl-5 too.....I'm going to run that tomorrow and see if any changes.

When the truck was running correctly, was he running the the battery down until the truck couldn't move? If so, the problem is with the battery.

You should only run batteries down until there is a noticeable drop in max speed, this is when the battery has dumped and time to stop running.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Putting it in sport mode will not affect whether or not the lvc is on or off. What color is the esc light when the truck is idle?

Try another battery.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    When I put my mamba max on auto lipo detection set to cut off at 3.2v per cell, with a freshly charged fairly new traxxas 7 cell, the truck barely has any power after only a few seconds if I grab the throttle hard.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    When the truck was running correctly, was he running the the battery down until the truck couldn't move? If so, the problem is with the battery.

You should only run batteries down until there is a noticeable drop in max speed, this is when the battery has dumped and time to stop running.
    No....I know better

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    When I put my mamba max on auto lipo detection set to cut off at 3.2v per cell, with a freshly charged fairly new traxxas 7 cell, the truck barely has any power after only a few seconds if I grab the throttle hard.
    Well I just ran it. I'm thinking three reasone why it seemed to be acting up.
    I drive my vxl with lipo alot lately. I think im not used to the slower brushed speed.
    I had for some reason...different spur gear I it. (Might had grabbed the one wrong...been swapping parts around)
    Batteries had not been used for a good couple weeks.....but I dont thi nk that really matters with these like the old style.?

But....it seemed to working fine now. So...I guess it was the gearing and battery...well maybe me too??

RC Racer
    Thank you for everyone trying to help.....

I have been trying to figure this out for days.....should of known...as soon as I post a question...I'd figure it out ..lol