RC poster

Is it worth it to rebuild a 2.5?

I mentioned to the guy at the local hobby shop that I was thinking of rebuilding my 2.5 (new piston and sleeve) and putting it into my dad's old TMAXX for him. The guy told me not to waste my time and that I should just upgrade the engine through the Traxxas upgrade program. I told him that normally I would, but I want to keep the 2.5 for my dad ans buy a 3.3 for my Revo. Trying to save money. He says that engines never run the same again after a rebuild and it's not worth it. Is he right???

He wants you to spend the money to get a 3.3 which means more money in his pocket. Find someone else to spend your money on--like eBay to get a good deal on a piston, sleeve and rod and rebuild the engine. While it is all out, best to replace the bearings too.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and a simi noon to the nitro world lol. But I'm in the market for a new motor also cause my 2.5r finally bit the dust. So I was looking for a new online and read about nodded engines!!! So what I'm asking is where is the best place to get a modded engine for my revo?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    He wants you to spend the money to get a 3.3 which means more money in his pocket. Find someone else to spend your money on--like eBay to get a good deal on a piston, sleeve and rod and rebuild the engine. While it is all out, best to replace the bearings too.
    Can you provide any advice on removing the larger rear bearing? I've read about taping the smaller one with a socket, and something about putting the crankcase in the oven to get out the rear bearing?

RC poster
    brevo, you probably won't get too many people to see your question posting it inside this thread. I would probably just use Google to find places that will mod your 3.3 for you.