Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    That trek is virtually a steal. But too bad I only have a dollar to spend at the moment.

If that orange one is rare fix it up and the a sell it.. You'd probably make some money off of it.
    God is good.

Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    I do have a quick question though. What's best to wear for 30-40 degree weather ridding? I don't have any cycling clothes other than a pair of old shorts. Would under amour like clothes do just fine?
    What you wear really depends on you. Some folks get cold really easily, while others are fine in shorts and a t-shirt while riding in the low 50s. That said, here's what I use:

40s: Cycling shoes (water & windproof shoe covers in the low 40s), merino wool socks, leg warmers, cycling shorts, a long sleeve wicking compression shirt, a Goretex cycling jacket (no thicker than a windbreaker, but it works great), full fingered gloves (with glove liners in the low 40s), a cycling cap (mine was made by Gore...it covers my ears and has little slits in it for my sunglasses), and a helmet.

30s: All of the above, but my base layer changes to something a bit warmer (merino wool). Some folks also switch to insulated leg warmers and such, but I haven't found that to be necessary for me.

Under Armor or similar clothing would work well. I don't wear cycling jerseys, but I do wear compression shirts that I but from Target. They're made of a similar material to Under Armor, but they're a lot cheaper. The short sleeved shirts are great in the summer (keep me cooler) and the long sleeved versions work great when it's cooler outside.

Most of my gear is cycling specific, and I prefer cycling specific gear because it's designed to be comfortable while riding. There's definitely a reason why the professionals wear what they wear. (For the record, I don't wear any of that logo'd out clothing. My theory is that if I'm not getting paid for it, I'm not going to look like a rolling billboard. Now if they were to pay me...)
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-03-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

yeah ill prolly do that im waiting for him to respond i hope its still for sale
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

lol i agree i just cant wear cycling clothes with a straight face though i hate the way it looks but everyone has they're opinions my brothers a kick boxer and wears extremely tight fitting shirts just to be a show off lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    lol i agree i just cant wear cycling clothes with a straight face though i hate the way it looks
    I used to feel the same way.

At the end of the day, though, it doesn't matter what you wear so long as you're comfortable. I try not to judge people because it's not my place to pass judgment on others.

RC Qualifier
    Cooleo: In the warmer months I just wear short sleeves, shorts, sun glasses and my running shoes. It would be nice if I had a pair of tights that were covered my whole legs for cooler months.

Thanks for sharing what you wear!
    God is good.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I used to feel the same way.

At the end of the day, though, it doesn't matter what you wear so long as you're comfortable. I try not to judge people because it's not my place to pass judgment on others.
    on a side not i started stripping the spray paint off that bike its a very tedious process im using mieral spirits and 600 grit sand paper 1200 when i got down to the original paint to make sure it has a nice shine

RC Qualifier
    Post us some pictures, haha..

On a side for me, I rode 19 miles this evening.. My legs are so outta shape.. I was going to 30-40.. But after about mile 4 my legs just went
    God is good.

Thanks for sharing what you wear!
    Not a problem.

on a side not i started stripping the spray paint off that bike its a very tedious process im using mieral spirits and 600 grit sand paper 1200 when i got down to the original paint to make sure it has a nice shine
    Are you going to have to strip it down to bare metal for powder coating, or will whoever you're having powder coat it do that for you? I agree, though, stripping a frame is definitely time consuming.

On a side for me, I rode 19 miles this evening.. My legs are so outta shape.. I was going to 30-40.. But after about mile 4 my legs just went
    Sounds fun! Long breaks will definitely get you (that's why I ride year around and have a trainer for when it's really bad outside).

I went out for a 34 mile ride today (temps in the mid 40s, partly cloudy skies, and winds at 10mph or less). It was an enjoyable end to the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Not a problem.

Are you going to have to strip it down to bare metal for powder coating, or will whoever you're having powder coat it do that for you? I agree, though, stripping a frame is definitely time consuming.

Sounds fun! Long breaks will definitely get you (that's why I ride year around and have a trainer for when it's really bad outside).

I went out for a 34 mile ride today (temps in the mid 40s, partly cloudy skies, and winds at 10mph or less). It was an enjoyable end to the weekend.
    no im stripping the spray paint off that grey bike i got the powder coaters will sand blast my Schwinn mask it off then powder coat it im just waitig for my brother to pay me the rest of the money for the white roadbike, the grey bike i found out is a huffy of some sort its a 14 speed originally an 18 speed but upgraded i ended up scratching to bare medal in a couple places think the neighbor had "uglified" the bike to prevent theft so ill just have to find some sort of cheap wrap for it im not to worried about looks because this will be my commuter and the uglier it looks the less chance of theft lol.

the reason i think it was purposly made ugly is because who would leave the tires on while they are trying to do a decent paint job? got all the paint off the fork progress on the frame i got fed up after a few hours and started playing xbox

ok another update i got this done in about an hour now i swear im not a time traveler or wizard i actually found out by testing it that carb cleaner from auto zone took the spray paint off and left the origanol paint just fine i still have to get another can but thats what ive done so far. EDIT sadly the bike looks like its had a very hard life all those scratches where rusted and awaiting me as soon as i got the paint off

Post us some pictures, haha..

thats pretty good i do 3 miles a day as part of my workout program but will prolly up it to 10 soon

RC Qualifier
    Yeah long breaks indeed.. I haven't rode in at least a good month. To amazing how fast they can go out.
    I had clear skies, ~10mph winds and 45 ish temps. I had fun and just took it easy.

When I started out, I went out pretty hard 17-20MPH(usually go out 15-17) Then after I crashed I probably dropped down to 12-15MPH. Haha
    God is good.

RC Qualifier
    Nathan, just take your time and be patient. If you can do this, you'll learn a valuable life lesson and your project(s) will turn out better!
    God is good.

Nathan, just take your time and be patient. If you can do this, you'll learn a valuable life lesson and your project(s) will turn out better!
    haha ok will do i am impatient but also love doing projects (very bad combination) im prolly gonna do some touch up work to the scratched areas but remember i got this bike for free so i really could care less. also it turns very rough ill probably have to degrease and re grease all the bearings in the bike. but i look forward to take this thing out on some dirt trails and have some fun! ill keep you guys posted as i fix her up

ok another update i found the handlebars im gonna use i think they will add better hand positions then the stock ones http://www.ebay.com/itm/121182363684

RC Qualifier
    now that's a really nice bike how much was it new?
    We paid $2500.00 for it if I remember correctly, That was a couple years ago.
    I'm sure you can buy them cheaper if you get a year end close out model.
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

i like that bike did you sell it? if so how much did you sell it for
    I did sell it. I sold it to my girlfriends brother for $100. It was a great bike, rode well, drivetrain all worked really good, and seemed like it was solidly built.

I wear baggy clothing while riding, I do not like tight stuff. Today when I started my ride, it was 37 degrees. I wore a long sleeve mtb jersey (made for summer racing) with a t-shirt under it. I wore a thin toboggan under my helmet with my usual gloves and baggy shorts. After riding for a bit, I was all warmed up and felt good.... except my lungs haha.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

aw man i wouldn't have sold it but oh well what bike do you ride now? and when i ride this time of year i where baggy paints and a tshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroTrout View Post
    We paid $2500.00 for it if I remember correctly, That was a couple years ago.
    I'm sure you can buy them cheaper if you get a year end close out model.
    wow thats a lot lol ive seen some nice carbon fiber used one for about $1000 i really like diamondback they are my favorite brand i only like vintage Schwinn no new Schwinn's now they are just cheap Chinese bikes at Walmart.

aw man i wouldn't have sold it but oh well what bike do you ride now? and when i ride this time of year i where baggy paints and a tshirt.
    I am sure if I wanted the road bike back, I could get it pretty easily from him. I just wanted it to have a good home where it was being used.

I ride one of two bikes: The newest one is my trail rig from Devinci. It is their new 2014 Troy carbon, a 650b machine.

The other is my DH bike. It is a 2011 Specialized Demo. It is what i recently broke my arm and separated my shoulder on at a race. She should see some use soon though.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by carraig042 View Post
    I am sure if I wanted the road bike back, I could get it pretty easily from him. I just wanted it to have a good home where it was being used.

I ride one of two bikes: The newest one is my trail rig from Devinci. It is their new 2014 Troy carbon, a 650b machine.

The other is my DH bike. It is a 2011 Specialized Demo. It is what i recently broke my arm and separated my shoulder on at a race. She should see some use soon though.

-Brett
    nice bikes dude i just dont have any mountains near me so i use roadbikes but i did used to have a pretty nice 24 speed disk brake full suspension mountain bike but that got stolen
    Last edited by carraig042; 11-04-2013 at 12:50 PM.

heres a pic

I have had a bike get stolen before too. Since then I have kept them close by.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by carraig042 View Post
    I have had a bike get stolen before too. Since then I have kept them close by.

-Brett
    same i bring them in the store when i go in now

well quick update didnt really have time to get much done with the bike i got a little paint off the back of the frame im gonna order some white paint to patch up the original paint tomorrow i hope to de grease and re grease all the bearings on the bike.

RC Champion
    I wear padded riding shorts(not compression) and a downhill jersey with a sweatshirt underneath when it is in the 40's. As everyone else said, suit your comforts and don't really care about how you look, but some may judge as they have done to me...
    Slash 4x4, Rusty VXL(project), Slash 2wd(project).

RC Qualifier
    Not for me, I mostly ride bikes with motors! 2x Yamaha TTR-110's, KTM 450 EXC, Yamaha TTR-90. They sit and they sit, we have a house out in the hill country that we have a pretty good track setup but I cant convince the parents to tow the 4 bikes on a trailer with the brand new Merc.... I still ride the 110's around, they hide the keys so I get creative... Can you tell I don't like the word NO?
    PM for info.....

ok tonight i got some more paint off and re greased the front and rear rim bearings

RC Champion
    Nothing like accidentally pumping your tires up to high and blowing up the tube right in your face....

RC Qualifier
    I've never done that, but that don't sound like fun.
    God is good.

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Nothing like accidentally pumping your tires up to high and blowing up the tube right in your face....
    lol i actually did that once the neighbor hood thought it was a gun shot

RC Qualifier
    It must be loud if it sounds like a gun shot!
    God is good.

It must be loud if it sounds like a gun shot!
    well it was also the 26 inch mountain bike inter tube on my old bike

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, that'd be big enough and would hold enough air to make some people wonder..
    God is good.

Yeah, that'd be big enough and would hold enough air to make some people wonder..
    haha yes scared me pretty good

RC Qualifier
    I usually fill mine until it's nice and hard. I like hard, pumped up tires for the road. I think it makes it easier to hold a higher speed easier. But I don't over fill them,lol.
    God is good.

You're not using a pressure gauge to check for proper tire inflation? It's never a good idea to exceed the tire's ratings--as you have found out--and not using a pressure gauge will make that rather easy to do. If you have a front tire blow out while you're riding, things will get ugly. I would highly recommend spending the money to pick up an accurate pressure gauge.

RC Champion
    My pressure gauge was broken it was reading 40 psi but I dont think it was very accurate...