Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    How many of you guys ride clipless? I do.
    I rode with clips and straps for about 11 years before going clipless, and I must say that I wish I would have made the switch sooner! I use SPDs on all of my bikes because I prefer the walkability of the recessed cleat and I don't feel like having several pairs of shoes for cycling (and I certainly don't want to pay for several pairs! ).
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    How many of you guys ride clipless? I do.
    i rode clipped once just to see how it was... i hated it and took the clips off my pedals never used clips since
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    i rode clipped once just to see how it was... i hated it and took the clips off my pedals never used clips since
    For clarification, did you try clips and straps (AKA "cages") or did you use some sort of clipless system (SPD, SPD-SL, etc.)? Because, while I liked clips and straps better than flat pedals, using a clipless system was leaps and bounds better than clips and straps (at least, in my opinion). My wife uses clips without straps, but that's only because she has a difficult time keeping her feet in the right spot; the clips resolved that issue.

That said, I went out for a ride today. It was in the upper teens/low 20s with moderate wind and moderate to heavy snowfall throughout the duration of the ride. I ended up airing down the tires in my mountain bike (to the lowest pressure they are rated at) and gave it a shot. Most of the roads had not been plowed (go figure) and I did a fair amount of sliding around. That said, it wasn't too bad. I was very impressed with the tires on my MTB and how they performed in those conditions. Even when there was several inches of snow on the road, the tires hooked up relatively well. When it got a little squirrelly, it only took some minor counter-steering to keep me upright. I had one or two fairly close calls, but I was able to save them.

And after spending just shy of two hours on my bike, I went back outside and spent an hour running. So all in all, it was a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    For clarification, did you try clips and straps (AKA "cages") or did you use some sort of clipless system (SPD, SPD-SL, etc.)? Because, while I liked clips and straps better than flat pedals, using a clipless system was leaps and bounds better than clips and straps (at least, in my opinion). My wife uses clips without straps, but that's only because she has a difficult time keeping her feet in the right spot; the clips resolved that issue.

That said, I went out for a ride today. It was in the upper teens/low 20s with moderate wind and moderate to heavy snowfall throughout the duration of the ride. I ended up airing down the tires in my mountain bike (to the lowest pressure they are rated at) and gave it a shot. Most of the roads had not been plowed (go figure) and I did a fair amount of sliding around. That said, it wasn't too bad. I was very impressed with the tires on my MTB and how they performed in those conditions. Even when there was several inches of snow on the road, the tires hooked up relatively well. When it got a little squirrelly, it only took some minor counter-steering to keep me upright. I had one or two fairly close calls, but I was able to save them.

And after spending just shy of two hours on my bike, I went back outside and spent an hour running. So all in all, it was a great day.
    my shimano rx100 pedals came with clips and straps and i bought the shoes for them i never tried just clips but i prefer he freedom of normal shoes and no clips. mountain biking in the snow sounds like a lot of fun i never got the chance to ride in the snow because we got two snowfalls this winter they snow stayed on the ground for about an hour but i did get to run my merv in the snow . btw snow and street tires on a merv= some awesome drifting

RC Champion
    I ride SPD's and once I got used to them I will never go back.

Now for the story, in the pic below I circled a police helicopter that will add on to the story

I was coming down the trail and a blue dodge truck flew down the road at a very high rate of speed. 5 minutes later I reach the base of the trail and a lone cop on a motorcycle stops me. Out of nowhere that same helicopter and 7 cop cars pop up from over the hill with spotlights on me and ask me if I had seen a little girl wandering around. I said no and describe the dodge I saw fly down the earlier and they left as fast as they came. Almost had to change my pants after this....

These are pictures I took on my ride before this happened.

Start elevation is 1400ft, my starting point is at 1100ft.
    Slash 4x4, Rusty VXL(project), Slash 2wd(project).

RC Qualifier
    That would have been interesting, with the cops and helicopter coming up on to you. Neat pictures too!

Cooleo, I've been meaning to ask you this, but I've been forgetting. When you ride, what would you say your average speed is?
    God is good.

Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    Cooleo, I've been meaning to ask you this, but I've been forgetting. When you ride, what would you say your average speed is?
    Let's just say that when people who know me see me at a professional bike race, the first question out of their mouth is "why aren't you out there?"

RC Qualifier
    That's pretty cookin, lol.
    Do you race?
    God is good.

Nope, I don't race. If you guys think the roadies you encounter are bad, the cyclists who actually race can be even worse (if you can believe that). Granted, they're not all bad, but a majority are very pretentious. I'm also not a fan of riding with other people (unless I'm riding with my wife). I like being out there on my own.

And I should say that I'm definitely not fast enough to be out there with the pros. My friends and family think I could, but we all know how that goes. Where I'm at now, I'd probably fair pretty well in Cat 5 or 4 racing, realistically. But like I said, it's just not my thing.

RC Champion
    Also notice on the map on my GPS there is not a single blip in sight, that trail takes you out to the middle of nowhere and that is why I love it, even if it is a really hard ride. I also forgot to mention that there are 400+ ft drops on the side of the trail for most of the ride. Next I need to get the mileage of the trail...

Next I need to get the mileage of the trail...
    When I asked what you guys are using to track your rides I was really surprised no one but me seems to be using a phone app. Seems just about everyone carries a smart phone these days and there are several free apps that do a very good job of tracking rides and give a good amount of decently accurate info. I use Endomundo, it gives mileage, draws a amp via google earth, calories burned, hydration lost, min/max altitudes, average speed and pace and probably some others I am forgetting.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I can believe that there are even more rude people out there cooleo. I'd like to do just one race just to see how it's like.

Dad, if I had a smartphone, I'd probably use it to track my rides, but for now it's just a small computer from Walmart.
    God is good.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    When I asked what you guys are using to track your rides I was really surprised no one but me seems to be using a phone app. Seems just about everyone carries a smart phone these days and there are several free apps that do a very good job of tracking rides and give a good amount of decently accurate info. I use Endomundo, it gives mileage, draws a amp via google earth, calories burned, hydration lost, min/max altitudes, average speed and pace and probably some others I am forgetting.
    I would to if I had a smartphone but I am still a kid and I'd have to pay for it myself, but I'd rather put the money into my bike.

So today I met up with friends and prerode the courses for an upcoming enduro and it was knarly, one of these days I have to make a video titled "how to kill a 29er"

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    well i would use mine but its to big, its a samsung galaxy tab 3 and its not very comfortable to have in your pocket while riding. maybe i could toss it in my backpack or get some kind of a mount for it

well i got out and rode for about 10 miles today it should not have worn me out as bad as it did. i need to get back in shape @colleo what trainer $50 or under should i get?

RC Champion
    well i got out and rode for about 10 miles today it should not have worn me out as bad as it did. i need to get back in shape @colleo what trainer $50 or under should i get?
    Are you sure you want a trainer? I borrowed one to see if I would like it and stopped using it after 4 days since it was so boring. If it is because of weather making roads unrideable it would probably be better just to go on a run IMO.

well i would use mine but its to big, its a samsung galaxy tab 3 and its not very comfortable to have in your pocket while riding. maybe i could toss it in my backpack or get some kind of a mount for it
    I'd be worried about going down with a smartphone attached to my handlebars. If the phone gets damaged, not only will you have to replace your phone, but you will also not be able to call for help if no one else is around and you are in need of medical assistance.

Under $50? That'll be tough, but you might be able to find a good deal on Craigslist; it will be a cheap one, though. I usually see mid-range models (used) selling in the $150 range on Craigslist in my area. Good ones typically list in the $200-250 range.

I do agree with sean1214, though. You should definitely try a trainer first if you can. If you don't know anyone with a trainer, see if you can get a free trial at a local gym that has spin bikes. It won't be the same as riding a trainer, but it's close enough.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-03-2014 at 06:15 PM.

I'd be worried about going down with a smartphone attached to my handlebars. If the phone gets damaged, not only will you have to replace your phone, but you will also not be able to call for help if no one else is around and you are in need of medical assistance.

Under $50? That'll be tough, but you might be able to find a good deal on Craigslist; it will be a cheap one, though. I usually see mid-range models (used) selling in the $150 range on Craigslist in my area. Good ones typically list in the $200-250 range.

I do agree with sean1214, though. You should definitely try a trainer first if you can. If you don't know anyone with a trainer, see if you can get a free trial at a local gym that has spin bikes. It won't be the same as riding a trainer, but it's close enough.
    ok i don't really like trainers and i do think they are boring but i need to stay in shape so i can ride longer then 10 miles at an average speed if 25mph. ill try the exercise bikes a the gym i am looking at this trainer http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cycle-Bi...item5afaf6aff3. also my tires are getting worn out what are some good 700c tires i can get?. im looking for a camera to video tape my rides, a go pro is not an option since i dont wear a helmet i was thinking something like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5MP-720P...item1e7ac2ac6d. but im not sure how reliable they will be im gonna try and get out to ride again but we'll see! happy riding and thanks for the help

I don't want to burst your bubble, but the chances are pretty good that you're not going to be maintaining a 25MPH average (even over a distance of 10 miles) without years of training--especially if you calculate your average speed over the duration of your ride (including slowing down/stopping, getting held up in traffic, etc.). If we're talking about a 25MPH average over a 10 mile time trail run, that's still fairly fast; attainable, but fast. Most people will tell you it takes a good 2-3 years of solid training to get there. And we're not talking riding around town several times a week, we're talking thousands of miles of full-on training rides and interval training, complete with training schedules and the like. I'm not telling you this to say that it isn't possible, mind you. I'm just letting you know what lies on the road ahead for you if that's what you want to do.

To answer you question about tires, I'm running Michelin Lithion 2s on my road bike right now. I have been very impressed with them as a whole (good grip, light, and fast), but I have been getting at least one flat about every thousand miles on average. If you ride on rough roads with a lot of debris, you might want a tougher (albeit heavier) tire.

As for cameras, the Go Pro can be mounted to more than just a helmet; there are a large variety of mounts for that camera. The Go Pro does seem to be the go-to choice for many folks.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but the chances are pretty good that you're not going to be maintaining a 25MPH average (even over a distance of 10 miles) without years of training--especially if you calculate your average speed over the duration of your ride (including slowing down/stopping, getting held up in traffic, etc.). If we're talking about a 25MPH average over a 10 mile time trail run, that's still fairly fast; attainable, but fast. Most people will tell you it takes a good 2-3 years of solid training to get there. And we're not talking riding around town several times a week, we're talking thousands of miles of full-on training rides and interval training, complete with training schedules and the like. I'm not telling you this to say that it isn't possible, mind you. I'm just letting you know what lies on the road ahead for you if that's what you want to do.

To answer you question about tires, I'm running Michelin Lithion 2s on my road bike right now. I have been very impressed with them as a whole (good grip, light, and fast), but I have been getting at least one flat about every thousand miles on average. If you ride on rough roads with a lot of debris, you might want a tougher (albeit heavier) tire.

As for cameras, the Go Pro can be mounted to more than just a helmet; there are a large variety of mounts for that camera. The Go Pro does seem to be the go-to choice for many folks.
    i didn't know that 25mph average was a big deal, what is a good average? im at about 12mph now. those tires you have look pretty nice to me the tires i have currently have are specialized all-condtion tires and let me tell you they suck my brother got those tires about 3 months ago and he put about 300miles on the bike before i bought it back from him. believe it or not they are already down to the threads i put 42.3 miles on the tires myself. so im definitely unhappy with the specialized tires and id recommend everyone to stay away from them. im on a tight budget so im looking at getting the Michelin dynamic tires and i use goo in my inertubs so i rarely get a flat. ill look into getting my hands on a go pro

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about your average speed; instead, I would focus on your saddle time. Spend more time in the saddle and your numbers should increase across the board. The trick is being consistent. If you ride a bunch one week, don't ride at all the next week, ride a few more times the week after that, and then take a week and a half off before riding again, you're not going to get very far.

You also need to set a goal that is attainable for you. So many people shoot for the stars, only to end up giving up before they ever get there because they aren't seeing the results they wanted. You need to set a goal that you can achieve given your physical, mental, and time restrictions.

RC Qualifier
    You also need to set a goal that is attainable for you. So many people shoot for the stars, only to end up giving up before they ever get there because they aren't seeing the results they wanted. You need to set a goal that you can achieve given your physical, mental, and time restrictions.
    Agreed. last year I didn't have any set and I rode almost 600 miles in about 3.5 months.

I already set my 2 goals for next season, totally doable.

1: My farthest ride is going to be at least 100 miles. (My farthest ride was 50 miles last year.)
    2: My total miles should be at least 1,000 miles. (I was like 20 miles short of 600 last year.)

I'm thinking I want to ride between 15-18MPH next year. Last year I was doing 13-15 most days.
    God is good.

Those sound like some good goals--best of luck!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks!

Question for you all, when you go out for a ride, be it short or long, what do you wear and what do you bring with you?

Me, I wear shorts and t-shirt, sunglasses, and a backpack. If it's chilly I'll bring along a sweatshirt (This year I'll have a helmet to wear, got it for Christmas!), In the backpack I keep phone, wallet, musical playing device, and a LOT of water
    God is good.

When I do trail rides I generally carry/wear: Baggy MTB shorts, Jersey, gloves, helmet, hydration pack with water, multi-tool, air pump, patches, and phone. I feel like a am a somewhat light packer. If the trails are real rough, then I may add knee pads. When I Do DH riding, it is a whole different ball game at that point haha.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

Thanks!

Question for you all, when you go out for a ride, be it short or long, what do you wear and what do you bring with you?

Me, I wear shorts and t-shirt, sunglasses, and a backpack. If it's chilly I'll bring along a sweatshirt (This year I'll have a helmet to wear, got it for Christmas!), In the backpack I keep phone, wallet, musical playing device, and a LOT of water
    i wear my usual cloths a backpack with built in water bladder a water bottle on my bike sunglasses ipod. if its cold i wear a hoodie and gloves. if im stopping by a store on the way or bringing my merv with me i bring my big backpack and leave the water bladder at home

RC Qualifier
    I thought about getting a water bladder. How many OZ do they hold? Normally I bring along 2-4 liter sized bottles of water.
    God is good.

Speaking of tracking devices, I got a new toy recently. I've been wanting a GPS watch for running purposes, so I finally purchased a Garmin Forerunner 110 with a heart rate monitor. While I still intend on using my cyclocomputers, I plan on using my watch for its heart rate monitoring function while cycling. I have not gotten a chance to try it out yet, but I'm pretty excited to (I'm easily amused, what can I say).

So far, all I've done is set it up and get a resting heart rate reading. Apparently my resting heart rate is 45BPM--not too shabby!

EDIT: On the subject of backpacks/water bladders, I've never been a fan of wearing anything on my back because it limits airflow and leads to an incredibly sweaty back. Plus, I'd imagine a backpack would get mighty smelly after it's been on the back of a cyclist for a while.

I use 25oz Camelbak insulated bottles (keeps my water cooler in the summer and also keeps it from freezing in the winter). My road bike is equipped with two frame-mounted bottle holders and two bottle holders behind the saddle, so I have the ability to carry up to 100oz of water. I drink about one bottle an hour when it's really hot out, so I'm good for about 4 hours of solid riding.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-07-2014 at 11:46 AM.

I thought about getting a water bladder. How many OZ do they hold? Normally I bring along 2-4 liter sized bottles of water.
    the one i have is a Swiss army one i believe it was about $50 and it holds 2 liters of water, but what i really like about it is it has the bladder and 4 pockets on top of that it can be thrown in the washer and dryer when it gets dirty. i use a 320oz cup in my cup holder it is a metal insulated one and i sometimes drink coffee while i ride .

Speaking of tracking devices, I got a new toy recently. I've been wanting a GPS watch for running purposes, so I finally purchased a Garmin Forerunner 110 with a heart rate monitor. While I still intend on using my cyclocomputers, I plan on using my watch for its heart rate monitoring function while cycling. I have not gotten a chance to try it out yet, but I'm pretty excited to (I'm easily amused, what can I say).

So far, all I've done is set it up and get a resting heart rate reading. Apparently my resting heart rate is 45BPM--not too shabby!

EDIT: On the subject of backpacks/water bladders, I've never been a fan of wearing anything on my back because it limits airflow and leads to an incredibly sweaty back. Plus, I'd imagine a backpack would get mighty smelly after it's been on the back of a cyclist for a while.

I use 25oz Camelbak insulated bottles (keeps my water cooler in the summer and also keeps it from freezing in the winter). My road bike is equipped with two frame-mounted bottle holders and two bottle holders behind the saddle, so I have the ability to carry up to 100oz of water. I drink about one bottle an hour when it's really hot out, so I'm good for about 4 hours of solid riding.
    thats a pretty nice watch id be excited to, my water bladder pack is washable but it does get smelly after about a dozen rides and needs to be washed again. the backpack i use to carry my merv is a giant air force backpack with a pocket for a laptop and it is also washable, but i rarely use it because i rarely take my merv on rides with me unless im going somewhere with a lot of dirt. ive never really needed much more then just my 2 liter water bladder, but im sure that will change with age.

RC Qualifier
    I was wanting to kinda get rid of my back pack. It's nice and all but after a while my back starts to get tired and hurts. I was kinda thinking about getting some type of bag that could go on the handle bars or underneath the seat. If I could, I wouldn't mind taking along a camel back that's not to expensive. I only have one water bottle rack on my bike.

Hey cooleo, I went to the gym last night with a buddy ( he ended running 13) I was originally going to run like 4-5, but I ended up doing 8. The highest my heart rate got was 190 BPM. And I wasn't even breathing hard. Doing about 10 minute or so pace. I don't know what my resting heart rate would be.
    Last edited by ithrowstones; 02-08-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    God is good.

I've seen guys put water bladders into bags that get mounted on their rear rack; that might be an option for you.

On the subject of my watch, it's pretty sweet. I'm not used to having that much data available to me while running, and the data I get when I upload it to a computer is simply amazing. I can literally analyze every second of my run.

Also, I picked up a pair of Oakley ski goggles recently for the snowy days. I got tired of being blinded by the falling snow while running and cycling, so these should help solve that problem. It's looking like I might be able to try them out today unless it stops snowing before I head out.

I was wanting to kinda get rid of my back pack. It's nice and all but after a while my back starts to get tired and hurts. I was kinda thinking about getting some type of bag that could go on the handle bars or underneath the seat. If I could, I wouldn't mind taking along a camel back that's not to expensive. I only have one water bottle rack on my bike.

Hey cooleo, I went to the gym last night with a buddy ( he ended running 13) I was originally going to run like 4-5, but I ended up doing 8. The highest my heart rate got was 190 BPM. And I wasn't even breathing hard. Doing about 10 minute or so pace. I don't know what my resting heart rate would be.
    as far as a bag for you're bike goes i used to have something like this but a little bigger on my schwinn http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Blue-Ne...item58a3a9ae49 i bought it in a bike shop not off ebay but this looks like a good deal. it would hold my Allen wrenches my vavle adapters an extra tube and a bag of jelly beans gotta have jelly beans.

I've seen guys put water bladders into bags that get mounted on their rear rack; that might be an option for you.

On the subject of my watch, it's pretty sweet. I'm not used to having that much data available to me while running, and the data I get when I upload it to a computer is simply amazing. I can literally analyze every second of my run.

Also, I picked up a pair of Oakley ski goggles recently for the snowy days. I got tired of being blinded by the falling snow while running and cycling, so these should help solve that problem. It's looking like I might be able to try them out today unless it stops snowing before I head out.
    nice ski goggles my brother had a pair of Oakley sunglasses, they where very strong he stepped on them by accident a few times and the arms snap in and out of place overall i think Oakley is a very good brand to go with. but very pricey my brother was very sad when he lost them, here in new mexico we got about 2cm of snow but it melted the same day

I've had good luck with their products over the years. I used this opportunity to test out a lens color I have been wanting to try for my cycling glasses (their orange permission lenses). I want to see how they perform in low light conditions. If I like them, I'll get a pair of lenses for my cycling glasses for riding in the rain, on cloudy days, and possibly at night if the light transmission is adequate enough for such purposes. I don't care much for clear lenses, so I'm looking for something different.

RC Qualifier
    I'll keep looking at different bags and what nots.

I just use a walmart brand pair of sunglasses. They work just fine. The lenses are orange, lol.
    God is good.

RC Qualifier
    I also find this thing that tells you how much water you're suppose to drink depending on the activity. Check it out.

http://www.camelbak.com
    God is good.

RC Qualifier
    How you guys been holding up with this weather? We just got about 3 more inches of snow and now it's negatives.
    God is good.

How you guys been holding up with this weather? We just got about 3 more inches of snow and now it's negatives.
    haven't rode all week its been to windy and im packing up so we can move i absolutely hate the wind it ruins the day

I was able to get out for a couple of rides last week. Since then, however, I've been strapped for time, and I've only been able to run. I do see some slightly warmer weather in the forecast, though, so I'm hoping I can to get back out there soon. I've been daydreaming about getting my road bike out on some dry pavement, but I don't think that's going to happen for a couple more months. My poor road bike is getting tired of being locked in my trainer in the basement!