Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    I would over dress, then when I started to feel myself warm up, I'd rid of some clothes, then if I get too cold, the clothes come back on.

It's probably safe to know if the trail is passable before you just dive in head first.

On a bright side it's suppose to around the 30s on Wednesday or so. Yay!
    God is good.

What I have found works best for me is this: if I'm slightly chilled when I step outside and begin my ride (or run), I'm probably going to be comfortable (assuming I can keep going). Your mileage may vary, of course, and you've got to do what is most comfortable for you. Being out in these temps can be very dangerous, so it's usually best to err on the side of caution.

I don't see 30s in my forecast any time soon, but that's okay. Tomorrow I might see how running in negative temperatures goes.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    It can be life threatening if you're out in these negative temps.

I don't think I want to ever run in the negative temps.
    God is good.

Indeed it can be. While I have never been out running in such conditions, I have a fair amount of experience in being outdoors in sub-zero temps. I grew up with snowmobiles and have always had a thing for being outside in the cold and in the snow.

RC Qualifier
    You really are crazy! Hahaha

But please do be safe.
    God is good.

Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    You really are crazy!
    You really have no idea! Check this picture out:

Iceberg Ahead! by CooleoCool's Photos, on Flickr

I took that picture from a kayak a few years back. It's a little chilly out on the water in the winter, but it's definitely fun. Again, not something I'd recommend. I love doing it, but there is a fair amount of risk to it.

And no worries, I'll be safe.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-28-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    You really have no idea! Check this picture out:

Iceberg Ahead! by CooleoCool's Photos, on Flickr

I took that picture from a kayak a few years back. It's a little chilly out on the water in the winter, but it's definitely fun. Again, not something I'd recommend. I love doing it, but there is a fair amount of risk to it.

And no worries, I'll be safe.
    nice picture reminds me of a couple summers ago when i stayed up in California with my grandma who is crazy into kayaking we went kayak camping for a week it was so much fun. she even bought her little dogs lif vests and we brought them lol
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Qualifier
    That's a neat picture. It looks warm, until you see the mini iceberg.
    God is good.

Haha, it definitely wasn't warm! Warmer than it was today, but not warm!

That said, I survived my run without any issues.

But I suppose we should get back to biking! I did ride my trainer yesterday; it was boring and all I could think about was the fact that I wanted to be outside. (Hence me prepping my MTB!)

well i finally got my cupholder for the diamondback ill post picture tomorrow

RC Qualifier
    Sound awesome cooleo. I dreamed that I went for a really long bike ride last night. Now I'm really wanting to ride!

Good to hear Nathan!
    God is good.

sorry i couldn't get enough free time to get out of the house today or even run my merv algebra sucks ill try to get out and ride tomorrow maybe i could get up early and do a before sunrise ride? sounds like fun! to bad i don't have a headlight.

RC Qualifier
    I've been going to our local gym lately and running and ridding the bike there. It feel good to start doing something since fall.
    I rode 3 miles and ran probably 1.5-2 miles. I'm so outta shape.
    God is good.

I've been going to our local gym lately and running and ridding the bike there. It feel good to start doing something since fall.
    I rode 3 miles and ran probably 1.5-2 miles. I'm so outta shape.
    haha i know how you feel i try to run a mile a day but im working on a computer program running an ebay store and learning algebra

RC Qualifier
    You sound like a busy bee. I'm in high school while taking one college class twice a week, (digital circuits). It's not too bad. I also need to find a job, and soon.

I need to start doing surf to get into some shape for track..this is a good start.
    God is good.

You sound like a busy bee. I'm in high school while taking one college class twice a week, (digital circuits). It's not too bad. I also need to find a job, and soon.

I need to start doing surf to get into some shape for track..this is a good start.
    yeah i hope to get a job when i turn 16 in February im the type of person who loves being busy but also loves to wake up at 9:00 am. when all my stuff is sold i wont be so busy so ill have to find something new to do. i build computers from spare parts like crazy iv literally got 3 4ft by 3ft boxs stuffed to the top with computer parts. i may have to take on kickboxing as a new hobby my big brother is really into it and it seems very fun.

I checked out the trails yesterday, and they're a big no-go. There's way too much snow on them (a good base, but there's a lot of fresh powder that is often knee deep!). Here's to hoping it warms up a little bit so the road crews can start using salt again; then maybe the roads will be clear enough for riding.

well i was going to ride today but as soon as i stepped outside i realized there was a huge wind going I HATE WIND!!!!! i figured may as well get a picture of the bike so heres a couple pics.

im also going to take the front reflector off because i think it ruins the flow of the bike and i dont much car for reflectors

RC Qualifier
    Reflectors are there for your own safety. I'd keep it. You don't ride fast enough for it to ruin the air flow. Better safe than sorry!

That's sad to hear cooleo. You need a man powered snowmobile
    God is good.

Reflectors are there for your own safety. I'd keep it. You don't ride fast enough for it to ruin the air flow. Better safe than sorry!

it doesnt ruin the airflow it just ruins the look of the bike. i dont care about the safety aspect of reflectors i rarely ride at night anyway

RC Qualifier
    I think it looks good with the reflector. I also think it might be illegal to ride without reflectors too. You'll have to check your local area.
    God is good.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I did ride my trainer yesterday; it was boring and all I could think about was the fact that I wanted to be outside. (Hence me prepping my MTB!)
    Now you're getting into my field.... Don't say you're bored until you are an enduro rider trying to ride on the road. So how do you roadies have fun while riding on boring stuff? I really want to know because all my MTB team has been doing is riding pavement and flat washborne road and I am bored to death.
    Last edited by sean1214; 01-30-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Now you're getting into my field.... Don't say you're bored until you are an enduro rider trying to ride on the road. So how do you roadies have fun while riding on boring stuff? I really want to know because all my MTB team has been doing is riding pavement and flat washborne road and I am bored to death.
    idk its just fun to ride along a nice smooth road and take in the sights i also mountain bike sometimes but i prefer roadbiking i guess it just depends on how you ride and what you find fun

I think it looks good with the reflector. I also think it might be illegal to ride without reflectors too. You'll have to check your local area.
    it is illegal but only while riding at night but so is riding without a helmet and iv never once been ticketed in my life for not wearing a helmet. i honestly don't see why not wearing a helmet is illegal if the rider doesn't want to wear a helmet he/she is not putting anyone but themselves at anymore of a risk then if he/she wore a helmet. i know ill probably get lectured on safety by someone but its my choice to not wear a helmet i don't want to and probably never will i still bike safely and am very aware of my surroundings . i have never once been in any accident with a car on my bike other then a parked car but that's a different story. i do wear a helmet while mountain biking but don't feel the need to while road biking i know its stupid and unsafe.

i honestly don't see why not wearing a helmet is illegal if the rider doesn't want to wear a helmet he/she is not putting anyone but themselves at anymore of a risk then if he/she wore a helmet.
    Helmet laws came about because so much of the costs involved when an accident and injury does happen ends up being paid by tax payers not the person who chose to not wear a helmet. Same thing goes for seat belts in cars.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

I've seen some bikes with some sort of track system on the back and a ski up front!

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    So how do you roadies have fun while riding on boring stuff?
    I don't know, I just love riding and road biking is the easiest thing for me to do. I also don't consider it boring. If I want to ride my MTB, I have to get the bike ready, put the rack on my SUV, load the bike up, drive to the MTB trails, unload the bike, and only then can I ride (by this point 30 minutes to an hour+ has gone by depending on which trails I go to). With my road bike, all I have to do is check the tire pressure and hop on my bike. Another thing I enjoy about road cycling is the speed.

As for the helmet issue addressed by others, I'm not going to touch that one because it is one of cycling's biggest hot-button issues. We should probably leave that issue alone if we want this thread to stay open.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-31-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Helmet laws came about because so much of the costs involved when an accident and injury does happen ends up being paid by tax payers not the person who chose to not wear a helmet. Same thing goes for seat belts in cars.
    i see what your saying but there's no way it costs more to have a crash with a helmet rather then no helmet it costs the individual(s) more. but not the taxpayer i may be wrong i have observed not even the cops around here take the helmet law seriously iv never once been told anything about not wearing a helmet. they just wave at me the cops around here are actually fairly nice to cyclists.

i see what your saying but there's no way it costs more to have a crash with a helmet rather then no helmet it costs the individual(s) more.
    Just as an example if they have to call out the Fire Dept. and Paramedics they will send a bill to the guy who had the accident. If he ignores it and does not pay it who do you think ends up paying the bill? The tax payers do.

Back to rode biking ...well the bikers themselves. Are road cyclists in your area rather snobby? I ride a bike trail every morning and it has lots of different kinds of people riding and walking on it. I make it a habit to say "good morning" to every one I come in close proximity too. Hands down the road cyclist are the rudest people as a group I encounter. It seems the more into it they appear or the better the bike and the more equipment they have the more condescending and rude they are. Is that common every where or just around here?
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Generally, yeah--especially the ones on local trails. They love tearing up the trails and passing all of the "inferior," slow bikers. They're part of a strange breed, that's for sure.

Unless I'm with my wife, I generally stick to the streets where I don't encounter too many other cyclists. If I am on the trails, it's definitely not during times of peak use. Personally, I feel safer riding with motor vehicles than I do with the dogs walking their humans, children with parents who are not paying attention to them, iPod zombie runners, and the like. Cars are, at least generally, somewhat predictable. The people I see on the trails in my area are far from predictable, that's for sure! I also feel that the speeds at which I typically travel are not appropriate on the trails.

I will say, though, that when I do encounter other cyclists, I don't normally interact with with them unless they interact with me first (just like I don't when I'm commuting on foot or driving my car). When I do interact, I normally nod and I try to make it quite obvious. I also wave with my left hand. Every once in a while I'll say something to someone if we're both out in inclement weather ("beautiful day, eh!?," "that wind sure is rough today!").

If someone were to say good morning or hello to me, I would most likely smile and give an affirming nod. Unless they're riding one of those silly cruiser bikes--those people are just weird! (I kid, I kid! )
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-31-2014 at 03:31 PM.

BAH the people on Cruisers like mine are among the most friendly I encounter LOL

Here is a funny story of an encounter I had one morning. Where I pick up the trial you ride down a flat section then drop down to the creek the trail follows. From the top I saw two guys on the side of the trail off their bikes one guy was standing behind the other adjusting his hydration pack. I saw him point at me and say something to his buddy. Has I got closer I heard them start asking me questions like "where is all your equipment", they had it all. I reached up and tilted my sun glasses as to check if they were there and looked down at my bike and said " I have all I need". The one guy yelled at me "you rank amateur we will be picking you up off the road soon". I smiled and said come on let's go" and kept riding on. I heard them yelling things at me and paid it no mind I just kept riding. I rode the trail to where it ends like I always do and then doubled back to one of the parks it passes thru where I normally get off the trail and take a different route home. Has I was approaching the park I see the two guys, they looked terrible all red faced dripping sweat and huffing and puffing badly. I could not help but break into laughter when I hear the lead guy yell out to is buddy "how the did he get here. I had rode about 4 miles more then they had by that point. Mind you I am no great rider and not in good shape at all. I started riding because I am so out of shape. When I first started it was all I could do to ride a couple of miles with out having to stop, now I am up to doing 10-15 miles every morning. These two guys were wanna be's if I have ever seen any.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

That's funny!

In my neck of the woods, there's a particular area where all of the doctors and lawyers live. Naturally, many of them "ride" bikes. They're they're the type of folks who walk into a bike shop one day and drop five figures on a bike well beyond their needs and a ton of gear that they will never use; they do it, mostly so that they can go to work on Monday and brag about spending ten grand on something like that. Of course, they can't ride a bike for crap, they look silly, and they end up selling their bike at a HUGE loss the next spring, only to buy the next top-of-the-line model and do it all over again. I'll never understand why they do it, but I suppose it's similar to the reasons for driving some of the cars they drive. I will say, though, that it sure is fun watching how frustrated those guys get when you pass them. When it comes to something like cycling, money definitely doesn't buy you speed. If you ask me, maybe only 10-20% of it is actually the bike; the rest of that is all the rider.

That said, it's good to hear about the benefits cycling has had on your life. For me, cycling is a release from the stresses of everyday life; a way for me to go out and blow of some steam and have a great time doing it. The health benefits are the icing on the cake. I've always been a fairly active person, but the extra activity can't hurt. I haven't lost any weight over the years, but that's likely because I don't have any extra weight to lose. I have the metabolism of a racehorse, and all cycling does is make me eat even more than I already dp. Folks often tell me that they wish they had my metabolism and my motivation for being active, but my response is always the same: "that's easy for you to say because you don't pay my food bills!"

It's funny, though. One year while I was watching the Tour de France, my wife commented and said "you know, I think you really have found your true calling." I asked her why she said that and she responded "you look just like they do."

I've always felt very at home on two wheels but most of my time spent on two wheels there has been a motor involved instead of pedals. Motorcycling days are long gone for me for many reasons but I am really enjoying the Cruiser and bikes these days. I joined a "RatRod Bike forum and man these guys build some wild custom bikes.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Glad to hear that you're enjoying it so much.

You know, the more I post/read posts in this thread, the more I really wish the roads would clear up so that I could get out and ride. Alas, it doesn't look like that will be happening any time in the near future. I like winter, but I also like being able to ride my bikes!

RC Qualifier
    That's really good to hear that biking has helped your health Dad! Keep it up and you'll be doing 50 mile rides all the time!
    Don't let them two guys on a bike bother you. As long as you're out doing what you love and having a good time, no one can take that from you.
    Biking is a good stress reliever for me, much like cooleo. I'm also pretty active and have a high metabolism. I'm a fairly small guy, 5'8" and about 128 pounds, at 17 years old. I'm not sure how much I'll grow, if I do grow anymore. Lol.

I've never encountered another biker while out ridding on the roads. Once I rode to town and then rode a little bit on a local trail and there were a few bikers there, I nodded at them and they nodded/smiled back. I have seen bikers pass my house or I pass them while driving, but never while biking. I guess there aren't many bikers out in the country here.
    God is good.

Don't let them two guys on a bike bother you. As long as you're out doing what you love and having a good time, no one can take that from you.
    Not a chance those two wanna be's were going to take anything from me. In fact it made my day I still laugh when I think about that morning. I have had several similar run ins with cyclists, maybe because I tend to talk to most people I encounter on my rides. I usually tend to frustrate them more than they frustrate me, maybe when you get to my age you just dont worry about these little things as much LOL

Both my kids and I have noticed a LOT more people in our area riding bikes on a daily basis, many instead of driving to work. the price of gas around here might have something to do with it and the good weather.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I have a story for you guys! An event occured when I went out on a ride today, I will give the story when I can get the pics up. (HINT: Cops involved)

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Just as an example if they have to call out the Fire Dept. and Paramedics they will send a bill to the guy who had the accident. If he ignores it and does not pay it who do you think ends up paying the bill? The tax payers do.

Back to rode biking ...well the bikers themselves. Are road cyclists in your area rather snobby? I ride a bike trail every morning and it has lots of different kinds of people riding and walking on it. I make it a habit to say "good morning" to every one I come in close proximity too. Hands down the road cyclist are the rudest people as a group I encounter. It seems the more into it they appear or the better the bike and the more equipment they have the more condescending and rude they are. Is that common every where or just around here?
    it happens around here to they look at you like your the scum of the earth because you dont have a top of the line carbon roadbike and dont wear there extremely tight cloths and cycling gear. the funny thing is i often pass many carbon roadbikes i wave at every cyclist i encounter some of them are quit rude it it takes practice not to lose my temper and knock them off there bikes.

RC Champion
    How many of you guys ride clipless? I do.

RC Qualifier
    Sean, are you talking about NOT wearing the special shoe that clips into the pedal, if so I'm with you.
    Kinda interested to hear your story.
    God is good.

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast