Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Enjoy them when they arrive. I don't bike in the winter so I don't have to worry about that, lol.
    God is good.

Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow...just in time for some more frigid weather. I was going to try and go out for a ride today, but I've decided that it will be too dangerous. It was above freezing yesterday and this morning, but the temperatures have been steadily dropping over the past hour or so. Now all of the wet roads have turned to ice. I'm not going to risk hitting a patch of black ice and going down in front of a car, so it's the trainer for me today. I think I'm up for a good climb, so I'll ride to one of my mountainous training videos; it's not as fun as riding outside, but it's sure better than nothing. It's also a pretty darn good workout--no breaks at stop lights to catch your breath!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

The gloves arrived today--I wish I had bought them sooner!

I was out riding for roughly an hour and a half earlier this evening. The temperature was 15 degrees F and falling (slowly), the wind speed was fairly steady at 10mph, and there were several periods of moderate snow fall (enough that it was starting to accumulate on the roads).

All in all, the gloves worked about as well as I could expect them to in those conditions. By about the half hour mark, the tips of my thumbs started to get cold. Around the 45 minute mark, my index fingers started getting slightly chilly. By the end of the ride, my thumbs were fairly cold--no where near as cold as they were with my other gloves--and the rest of my fingers were only slightly cold. Compared to arriving back at home with hands that were in excruciating pain, this is definitely a vast improvement!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 12-30-2013 at 07:35 PM.

RC Champion
    I went exploring on a new trail system this afternoon and had to turn around due to the sun setting. I think I'll try it again in the morning with more water and my survival pack because it looked like it was way longer than the 5 miles I rode down it. Pretty dang big elevation change too.
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

What do you guys use to track your rides? I have been using the Endomondo app on my Android phone.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    What do you guys use to track your rides? I have been using the Endomondo app on my Android phone.
    I use cyclocomputers to track my ride stats.

RC Champion
    I don't track my rides at all....
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Qualifier
    I picked up some GPS thing in the bike section from Walmart. It works pretty good.
    God is good.

just a cheap bike computer i got off ebay
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Qualifier
    Been riding for many years. Longest ride was 105 miles. I ride a 2008 Trek Pilot 5.0 full OCLV Carbon.
    Philippians 4:13 HCSB

RC Qualifier
    I use my Cateye Strada Computer and now since I've finally have a smart phone, I like using the Strava app. I like seeing my route map and elevation when I get home.
    Philippians 4:13 HCSB

I like seeing my route map and elevation when I get home.
    Me too, the app I use shows a map via Google maps, how many feet I climbed and decent, calories burned, hydration lost, average speed and individual times for each mile I road
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

just spent $50 on handlebar tape brake handle hoods cup holder and a couple other things for the diamondback those should get here around Thursday then after i install them im taking it to the bike shop for a full tune up. i think my Schwinn might be jealous

ok got the new handlebartape and brake hoods installed and she looks beautiful still waiting on my cup holder though
    heres some before and after shots this is the very first time according to the original owner that the handlebare tape was changed or any maintenance for that matter was done on the bike. it was bought rode a dozen or so times then stowed away in the garage until i got it.
    before:
    after:

i am also going to be getting new wires all around a new chain and taking it to the bike shop to have everything tuned and the bearings replaced they feal a bit rough right now.

Looks good with the new bar tape! I've used white tape before, though, and probably won't use it again. It doesn't take long before white bar tape starts looking pretty gross--especially when it's on your all-season bike!

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Looks good with the new bar tape! I've used white tape before, though, and probably won't use it again. It doesn't take long before white bar tape starts looking pretty gross--especially when it's on your all-season bike!
    ill keep that in mind but i think white bar tape has such a nice look on this bike maybe if i pick up some gloves hopefully it will stay nice and white for a while. i have no problem replacing bar tape every 3 or so months. also i was cleaning the chain and noticed on the buttom of the bike it says "custom built exclusively for then it shows a California address and po box" so im gonna go ahead and guess the pearl paint is a special option? i love this bike even not tuned and been neglected for atleast 14 years it still rides like a dream it is literally the best bike i have ever ridden

Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow...just in time for some more frigid weather. I was going to try and go out for a ride today, but I've decided that it will be too dangerous. It was above freezing yesterday and this morning, but the temperatures have been steadily dropping over the past hour or so. Now all of the wet roads have turned to ice. I'm not going to risk hitting a patch of black ice and going down in front of a car, so it's the trainer for me today. I think I'm up for a good climb, so I'll ride to one of my mountainous training videos; it's not as fun as riding outside, but it's sure better than nothing. It's also a pretty darn good workout--no breaks at stop lights to catch your breath!
    haha i always look forward to redlights when im riding hard

Gloves will help, but only so much. I always were gloves while riding. I don't recall how long it took for mine to start looking really grimy, but it definitely wans't long. Then again, I do ride a lot.

ok i ride about everyday around 10 miles a day but i also use my Schwinn some days and my diamondback others but sadly its looking like i might have to put black tape on it if it gets dirty . i was looking at real leather handlebar tape that could be cleaned but they are $80 a pair! ill have to ask the people at the bike shop what i should use when i get it tuned up.

off topic but look at this beauty! im tempted to get it http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/4302403519.html

I could never buy something like that because I'd never feel like I could ride it!

I could never buy something like that because I'd never feel like I could ride it!
    haha i would just hang it up on the wall and stare at it all day.

I don't know if I could do that either, though!

That said, I haven't been able to get out for a ride in a couple weeks now. It seems like every time the roads just start to get clear, we get more snow. We just got dumped on last night! There was so much snow in my driveway that you needed 4WD just to get out. I'd be willing to be that my wife's car (even with snow tires) would have gotten stuck before it was completely out of the garage!

I do think I'm going out for a run later, though. Like I've said, riding my trainer can be a little boring. I want to maintain my riding fitness so that I'm ready for spring, but I really just want to rid outside--even if it is cold! Hopefully I have clear roads soon!

LOL and here in SoCal we are in the 70s and 80s it is almost like summer. I am still taking my Ape Hanger Beach Cruiser for morning rides in shorts, sandals and a sleeve less T shirt
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

I don't know if I could do that either, though!

That said, I haven't been able to get out for a ride in a couple weeks now. It seems like every time the roads just start to get clear, we get more snow. We just got dumped on last night! There was so much snow in my driveway that you needed 4WD just to get out. I'd be willing to be that my wife's car (even with snow tires) would have gotten stuck before it was completely out of the garage!

I do think I'm going out for a run later, though. Like I've said, riding my trainer can be a little boring. I want to maintain my riding fitness so that I'm ready for spring, but I really just want to rid outside--even if it is cold! Hopefully I have clear roads soon!
    i don't have a trainer so now that its warmed up i find myself barely able to go 5 miles without getting tired out and the only remotely interesting place to go for a ride here in new mexico is about 7 miles away. so thats 14 miles just to get there and back meaning i don't get to have much fun at all. when i get my license ill just drive there but until then im stuck in the most boring area to ride a bike in new mexico.

LOL and here in SoCal we are in the 70s and 80s it is almost like summer. I am still taking my Ape Hanger Beach Cruiser for morning rides in shorts, sandals and a sleeve less T shirt
    haha here in Albuquerque its about 60-70 i miss the snow believe it or not i found it very fun to go riding in my Schwinn in the snow. i put some tires on it with a little more grip then stock and even on the ice it handled nicely.

80's? I don't like the 80s when it's summer time! But I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your weather!

For the most part, I'm happy with the weather we've been having. The only thing I would change would be less light snowfall. The light snow has been keeping the roads slick, which, in turn, keeps me off from my bike. If we'd get one good snowfall followed by a week or so of clear weather, I'd be happier. Then the roads would get a chance to clear up and I could be out there riding! But I won't complain too much. It's nice to actually have a good winter for once.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    i don't have a trainer so now that its warmed up i find myself barely able to go 5 miles without getting tired out and the only remotely interesting place to go for a ride here in new mexico is about 7 miles away. so thats 14 miles just to get there and back meaning i don't get to have much fun at all. when i get my license ill just drive there but until then im stuck in the most boring area to ride a bike in new mexico.
    As much as I hate riding it, I definitely recommend getting a trainer (or spin bike). I don't maintain the same ride-length or intensity in the winter months, but I do try to get saddle time in when I can. It's so nice not to be ready for spring or the days when the roads are actually clear.

I used to drive my bike places to ride, but I ended up deciding I didn't really enjoy it much. I don't know what it is, but I enjoy leaving from home and returning home on a bike. When I throw a motor vehicle into the mix, I don't enjoy it as much.

That said, it feels like -11 out there right now. I left for a run shortly after dark. Most of the roads in my area still are not plowed, so that made things more difficult (lots of energy loss when the snow gives way under your feet). By the time I got home, my eyelashes had turned into icicles, but I really enjoyed it! There's just something about going out and doing things that hardly any one else does. Most people this time of year wouldn't even think about strapping on their running shoes and running outside.

The best advantage to staying active during the winter is illustrated by your post, nathan8856. Come spring, I'll still be in good shape, while many other folks will be struggling to work off the weight they packed on over the winter. While they're essentially re-starting from square one, I get to continue training and improving. Like I said, I reduce my intensity in the winter months. I also don't ride or run as much. What I do is try to maintain my fitness level as best I can, but at the same time, I'm also trying to give my body a bit of a break.

I should also note that I don't really do what I do for fitness purposes. Many people ask me where all of my motivation for exercise comes from. My answer to them is simple: I don't see what I do as exercise; I see it as a hobby. I don't get burnt out because I have a passion for being active (and going fast under my own power!).

80's? I don't like the 80s when it's summer time!
    I understand where you are coming from but to me the 80s are perfect and almost cool compared to what the weather was like when I lived in the Desert. The last summer I was there we went 3 weeks with every day in the 115-120 degree range. I think we get accustom or acclimated to the environment we are in but that was just brutal. I grew up in the snow and cold and prefer a milder climate.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

The last summer I was there we went 3 weeks with every day in the 115-120 degree range.
    Yikes!

I'm willing to bike in a lot of weather conditions, but I think temps like that would keep me indoors.

80's? I don't like the 80s when it's summer time! But I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your weather!

For the most part, I'm happy with the weather we've been having. The only thing I would change would be less light snowfall. The light snow has been keeping the roads slick, which, in turn, keeps me off from my bike. If we'd get one good snowfall followed by a week or so of clear weather, I'd be happier. Then the roads would get a chance to clear up and I could be out there riding! But I won't complain too much. It's nice to actually have a good winter for once.

As much as I hate riding it, I definitely recommend getting a trainer (or spin bike). I don't maintain the same ride-length or intensity in the winter months, but I do try to get saddle time in when I can. It's so nice not to be ready for spring or the days when the roads are actually clear.

I used to drive my bike places to ride, but I ended up deciding I didn't really enjoy it much. I don't know what it is, but I enjoy leaving from home and returning home on a bike. When I throw a motor vehicle into the mix, I don't enjoy it as much.

That said, it feels like -11 out there right now. I left for a run shortly after dark. Most of the roads in my area still are not plowed, so that made things more difficult (lots of energy loss when the snow gives way under your feet). By the time I got home, my eyelashes had turned into icicles, but I really enjoyed it! There's just something about going out and doing things that hardly any one else does. Most people this time of year wouldn't even think about strapping on their running shoes and running outside.

The best advantage to staying active during the winter is illustrated by your post, nathan8856. Come spring, I'll still be in good shape, while many other folks will be struggling to work off the weight they packed on over the winter. While they're essentially re-starting from square one, I get to continue training and improving. Like I said, I reduce my intensity in the winter months. I also don't ride or run as much. What I do is try to maintain my fitness level as best I can, but at the same time, I'm also trying to give my body a bit of a break.

I should also note that I don't really do what I do for fitness purposes. Many people ask me where all of my motivation for exercise comes from. My answer to them is simple: I don't see what I do as exercise; I see it as a hobby. I don't get burnt out because I have a passion for being active (and going fast under my own power!).
    couldn't agree more i might invest in a trainer, i understand about not needing motivation for exercise its just fun. there's nothing like coming home after a good 5 mile run or a nice long bike ride. and you get to stay in shape while having fun you cant beat that!

what i really need is a bike trainer where you have to peddle to get your internet to work and the faster you peddle the faster your internet is
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 01-25-2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Merged

RC Qualifier
    Wow, I haven't been on the forums for awhile and this thread took off, but now I'm all caught up, lol,

I know how you feel Cooleo. I can't wait for warmer and clearer weather. I'm anxious to ride. Even though I'm way way out of shape. Dad, send some 80s east would ya?

I already set my 2 goals for next season:
    1: My farthest ride is going to be at least 100 miles. (My farthest ride was 50 miles last year.)
    2: My total miles should be at least 1,000 miles. (I was like 20 miles short of 600 last year.)

I didn't really bike a lot April-to first half of July. But when I did, I was doing 100-150 miles in a 5-6 day week. So in about 2 months time (last half of July to begging of September) I did 580ish miles. That's pretty good I'd say.
    God is good.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    what i really need is a bike trainer where you have to peddle to get your internet to work and the faster you peddle the faster your internet is
    I have training videos that simulate rides. The videos are recordings of various rides and a narrator prompts you to adjust the resistance and the cadence accordingly. This system works alright, but I still spend a majority of the time thinking about how much more fun it would be to ride outside. I'll start thinking about some of my favorite climbs or places to ride, only to realize the reality of the situation: I'm in my basement watching a video.

Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    I already set my 2 goals for next season:
    1: My farthest ride is going to be at least 100 miles. (My farthest ride was 50 miles last year.)
    2: My total miles should be at least 1,000 miles. (I was like 20 miles short of 600 last year.)
    Those sound like some good goals!

One word of advice, though: don't focus on miles too much. I've seen many folks simply get burnt out because they're too focused on getting miles in vs. simply enjoying cycling. Personally, my main reason for tracking mileage is for maintenance purposes. I like knowing how many miles are on my components and how long it has been since I last lubricated the chain.

For me, it's really not about how far I ride. My favorite part is just being out there under my own power. A lot of people like driving fast cars, boats, etc. I, however, prefer to go "fast" without an engine. Pretty much anyone can make a car go fast, but there are not very many people who can go as fast as I can on a bicycle.

RC Qualifier
    I'll keep your advise in mind. And I like to know my miles so if I ever want to sell my bike I can tell him or her how many miles I've got on it, it's also cool to see your buddy's face when you tell them how far you rode and they are like

I'm also going to try and ride more towards 20mph for often. I was probably averaging 15mph or so when I would ride last year.

I too enjoy being out in the open a ways away from home. Sometimes you find a nice route, nice scenery, or you find dogs who thinks it's fun to break their chain and chase you, haha. And for me biking is a HUGE stress reliever. Once I get back from a 30-40 mile ride, I'm much happier.
    God is good.

Just be careful not to overdo it. The key to being good at this sport (and really any sport, for that matter) is the ability to listen to your body and know when to slow down or stop. So many people end up injuring themselves because they didn't know their limits and pushed too hard.

RC Qualifier
    I hear ya on that. I know when to stop or when to keep going. I've got a buddy who runs year round, by the time he's probably in his 30-40s he'll have knee problems, I can guarantee it. I only run in the warmer months.
    God is good.

Oh, I don't know if I'd say that. Before I started running, I did some research on knee and other running related issues. What I found was that most people with knee issues are usually doing it wrong. They overdo it, they don't have proper running form, they're wearing the wrong (or worn out) shoes, etc.

RC Qualifier
    He has pretty good forum and wears Sacounys. He just runs and runs, no stopping, lol. I think during the summer he was doing like 50-60 miles a week. Now that's only 10 miles a day, but some days he runs farther.
    God is good.

Well it's getting really cold here. It's currently 0 degrees, but it feels like it's in the mid -20s with the windchill. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be a negative number with windchills around -40 or lower! Yikes!

Back on the subject of cycling, however, I think I'm going to start prepping my mountain bike for snow. The tires I run on that bike do well in loose sand, so they might do pretty well in the snow if I have them aired properly (low pressure). I don't plan on riding on the road with that setup, but I might scope out some local MUPs to see how deep the snow is. If the paths aren't too deep, perhaps I'll give it a go--but not tomorrow, of course!

RC Qualifier
    It's cold where you are!
    It's suppose to be 2 tomorrow then -6 at night. Winds at 14mph.

But do enjoy mountain biking in the snow. That sounds fun if you have warm gear and it's not too cold.
    God is good.

I'll wait until the temps at least get back into the teens or low 20s before I attempt riding my MTB. The biggest problem will be that I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep the pace high enough to keep myself warm. The gear I have works perfectly when I'm able to maintain a decent clip; if I can't do that, it could get a little chilly. There's such a delicate balance when it comes to dressing for this sort of activity in the winter. Too much clothing and I'll sweat (and eventually freeze). Too little clothing and I freeze.

I need to drive out and scope out the paths before I do anything, though. I should be able to get a good idea of their condition from the various trail heads. Hopefully there has been a fair amount of foot traffic on them so they are actually passable. But it's hard to tell, as we have gotten a lot of snow lately.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast