Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
    RC Racer

anyone into biking?

hello is anyone on the traxxas forum into roadbiking post a pic of your bike. how long was the longest you ever rode your bike? ( my longest is 46.2 miles) i just got into it and bought a bike to restore its a 1973 schwinn contenintal :before (the red one)more before: after: after: everything is 100% original except for the paint (i repainted it) i even found the original seat i polished all the chrome to a perfect shine tuned everything perfect it even had the original rubber tires!. this is another bike i got but sold to my brother its a late 90's pearl white diamondback db expert tg with all shimano rx100 components
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Champion
    I race Cross Country MTB....
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Qualifier
    YUS!! I love to ride.. My farthest ride is 50 miles. That was my goal for this summer.. Next summer it's 100 miles. Towards the mid month of July and all up through august, I was averaging 100 miles a week to 150 miles a 5 day week. I didn't really ride much in June or early July. I had maybe 100 miles in from May to mid July. Once I started to ride I really out in the miles. I think I did 400 miles within 2 months. My total miles so far are 575.3. I would like to ride again just so I can hit 600, but I've been busy and it has been cold and windy.

Here's a link to the type of bike I ride. a GMC Denali 700C road bike. It's the only picture I have.
    http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/it...l?sort=3&o=154
    God is good.

RC Qualifier
    I'm pretty sure coolecool (I think that's his name) rides.. And he ride a ton., maybe he'll chime in.

Anyone else though?
    God is good.

RC Champion
    I ride cross country, Don't go for distance only time. range from 1 hour speed runs if its wet and up 6 hours for the fun factor if its dry.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ithrowstones View Post
    YUS!! I love to ride.. My farthest ride is 50 miles. That was my goal for this summer.. Next summer it's 100 miles. Towards the mid month of July and all up through august, I was averaging 100 miles a week to 150 miles a 5 day week. I didn't really ride much in June or early July. I had maybe 100 miles in from May to mid July. Once I started to ride I really out in the miles. I think I did 400 miles within 2 months. My total miles so far are 575.3. I would like to ride again just so I can hit 600, but I've been busy and it has been cold and windy.

Here's a link to the type of bike I ride. a GMC Denali 700C road bike. It's the only picture I have.
    http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/it...l?sort=3&o=154
    that's a nice bike, i honestly thought id get no replies from this thread i just got an odometer so we will see how many miles i put on my bike i got it up to 11.5 today whats your average speed?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    I ride cross country, Don't go for distance only time. range from 1 hour speed runs if its wet and up 6 hours for the fun factor if its dry.
    thats pretty crazy i haven't been riding much lately because of the wind and the drivers around where i live

RC Qualifier
    My wife is into road biking. The farthest she's ever rode in one day is 110 miles.
    She participates the 100 mile, Team in Training fund raising ride at Lake Tahoe every year.
    This bike has well over a 1000 miles on it.
    Its a Specialized with all carbon fiber frame/forks.

Last edited by NitroTrout; 11-01-2013 at 12:24 AM.
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan8856 View Post
    that's a nice bike, i honestly thought id get no replies from this thread i just got an odometer so we will see how many miles i put on my bike i got it up to 11.5 today whats your average speed?
    Thanks!
    I have an odometer as well.
    When I first went out this year, I was doing about 12 then towards the end of summer I was anywhere from 15-20mph

Just for those who don't fell like clicking my link..

God is good.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroTrout View Post
    My wife is into road biking. The farthest she's ever rode in one day is 110 miles.
    She participates the 100 mile, Team in Training fund raising ride at Lake Tahoe every year.
    This bike has well over a 1000 miles on it.
    Its a Specialized with all carbon fiber frame/forks.

now that's a really nice bike how much was it new? for some reason the pictures of white bike dont seem to be showing so ill try posting it once more it was somewhere around 800-1000 new i sold it to my brother becuase his blue had been really messed up by drivers who hated him but anyway here it is its not carbon fiber because it was made in the late 90's but honestly he would probably break carbon fiber because he cummutes by bike daily and has already had 2 people try to steal this bike.

RC Racer
    Thanks!
    I have an odometer as well.
    When I first went out this year, I was doing about 12 then towards the end of summer I was anywhere from 15-20mph

Just for those who don't fell like clicking my link..

yeah ive actually been kinda eyeing that bike on amazon and have made an agreement with myself, if i put at least 2000miles on my schwinn then ill buy that one. my average speed is so high because i started out on a mountain bike so when i got a road bike it took about half the energy to go twice as fast.

RC Qualifier
    When I rode with my wife's TNT team we had to maintain a speed of 12 mph. That's a good steady pace.
    Bash, Crash, Upgrade, Repeat..

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroTrout View Post
    When I rode with my wife's TNT team we had to maintain a speed of 12 mph. That's a good steady pace.
    yeah you should see the peoples faces in cars downtown when i pass them

I'm pretty sure coolecool (I think that's his name) rides.. And he ride a ton.
    Yes, and yes (though your use of the word "ton" is relative). To a majority of the world's population, I ride a ton. But there are definitely people who ride a lot more than my mere 5,000 miles a year.

That said, I ride year around in pretty much all weather conditions (including rain and snow). My ideal ride is a 30 mile ride with a 45 degree temperature, 20mph winds, heavy rain, and hilly terrain. Call me crazy, but I love it.

for some reason the pictures of white bike dont seem to be showing so ill try posting it once more it was somewhere around 800-1000 new

its not carbon fiber because it was made in the late 90's
    I like the downtube shifters, but that's not from the late 90s. I believe it's a 1992. Your estimated MSRP seems a bit high given the components, but I could be wrong. Also, composite bikes (CF) have been around since the 70s.

I love older bikes, especially when they have downtube shifters. My primary road bike is an early 90s Trek with a full 105 group. It's light, nimble, and fast. The gearing is quite tall (42/53 double up front & 12-23 seven speed cassette out back), but I manage it quite well, even on hilly terrain--I love climbing.

Nice old Schwinn, by the way! They used to make great bikes.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Yes, and yes (though your use of the word "ton" is relative). To a majority of the world's population, I ride a ton. But there are definitely people who ride a lot more than my mere 5,000 miles a year.

That said, I ride year around in pretty much all weather conditions (including rain and snow). My ideal ride is a 30 mile ride with a 45 degree temperature, 20mph winds, heavy rain, and hilly terrain. Call me crazy, but I love it.

I like the downtube shifters, but that's not from the late 90s. I believe it's a 1992. Your estimated MSRP seems a bit high given the components, but I could be wrong. Also, composite bikes (CF) have been around since the 70s.

I love older bikes, especially when they have downtube shifters. My primary road bike is an early 90s Trek with a full 105 group. It's light, nimble, and fast. The gearing is quite tall (42/53 double up front & 12-23 seven speed cassette out back), but I manage it quite well, even on hilly terrain--I love climbing.

Nice old Schwinn, by the way! They used to make great bikes.
    thanks yeah i found out that the msrp is somewhere around 600-700 so my bad i rode in pitch black on a rainy night once man i loved it and ive actually had a few people offer to buy my Schwinn while i was riding it but ill never sell it im gonna send it over to be powder coated because someone scratched my paint pretty bad. i totally agree with the down-tube shifters they are the best if i was to buy a new bike id install downtube shifters on it but i have to say i absolutely hate the wind while im riding.

Riding at night is definitely fun, but it can be dangerous. I won't go out without a decent light setup. I've got a 1,200 lumen headlight and a bright rear light for night use.

I've never tried powder coating a bike, but I will be giving it a shot with my most recent project that I'm building up for utilitarian purposes (an early 90s mountain bike). I've painted frames before with great results, but I want a more durable finish for a bike that's going to get more abuse.

While I do enjoy downtube shifters, integrated shifters are nice as well. Sometimes while riding on rough or on unpaved roads with my road bike (yes, unpaved roads with 23c tires...not something I readily recommend) I run into issues. Things can get a little hairy when you hit a pot hole at speed while you're reaching down to make a shift. All in all, though, I love DT shifting for its "old school" factor. DT shifters are also are easier to maintain than integrated shifters.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-01-2013 at 05:40 PM.

RC Racer
    yeah i rode without a light im crazy the reason im powder coating my frame is because the job i did looks good but it scratches very easily ( i scratched it putting it back together) and the powder coat shop said they would do it green for $95. i spent 70 to paint it myself so that's an awesome deal i also sometimes ride on dirt roads it scares me but i also have thicker rims then the 700c so i know its fine.

RC Qualifier
    Compared to my 575 miles so far this year, 5000 is a ton. But I put in 400 miles or just a bit over in 2 months..If I would have started out with that much in May and end around September, I'd have 2000 in.. Roughly.. My total goal for next year is 1500 miles atleast.
    God is good.

yeah i rode without a light im crazy the reason im powder coating my frame is because the job i did looks good but it scratches very easily ( i scratched it putting it back together) and the powder coat shop said they would do it green for $95. i spent 70 to paint it myself so that's an awesome deal i also sometimes ride on dirt roads it scares me but i also have thicker rims then the 700c so i know its fine.
    The only time I rode at night without lights (several years ago) ended very badly for me. Not quite hospital stay badly, but very close. I wasn't able to ride a bike for a couple of weeks due to my injuries. The helmet I was wearing probably saved my life.

As for scratching the paint during assembly, there's a good chance that you didn't let the pain fully cure. You generally should let the paint sit for a good week before you start building up the bike.
    Compared to my 575 miles so far this year, 5000 is a ton. But I put in 400 miles or just a bit over in 2 months..If I would have started out with that much in May and end around September, I'd have 2000 in.. Roughly.. My total goal for next year is 1500 miles atleast.
    I was hoping for more this year, but I had a couple of months where I was only able to get in around 250-270 miles due to time constraints.

RC Racer
    The only time I rode at night without lights (several years ago) ended very badly for me. Not quite hospital stay badly, but very close. I wasn't able to ride a bike for a couple of weeks due to my injuries. The helmet I was wearing probably saved my life.

As for scratching the paint during assembly, there's a good chance that you didn't let the pain fully cure. You generally should let the paint sit for a good week before you start building up the bike.I was hoping for more this year, but I had a couple of months where I was only able to get in around 250-270 miles due to time constraints.
    i let the paint dry for 2 weeks but it still scratches easy its been about two months since i painted it an dit has gotten better but im just gonna have it powder coated and be done with it

RC Racer
    cooleocool i have a question for you my neighbor just gave me this piece of junk old mountain bike do you think i could slap on some drop bars down tube shifters and 700c rims and tires becuase it uses mtb rims so idk heres a pic

Even if 700c wheels and tires would clear, your brake mount bosses would be off. But while you're stuck with 26" tires, you could always trow some slicks on there.

As for the drop bars, I have seen people do that with a MTB. They're a little tricky to set up, though, because the geometry will be way off. Personally, I'd leave it as is and fix what needs to be fixed to get it running again.

I have yet to be able to make myself enjoy road biking. I used to do it for commuting to college from my apartment, but just did it for a means of transportation. I do really enjoy mountain biking though and spend way too much time and money into it!

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Qualifier
    I wish we'd have more trails or at least a trail around me that's close.. I hear there is one at a park.. On the other side of Ohio..
    God is good.

Thats too bad, we have all sorts of trails in the area. The closest is just 5 minutes away. I enjoy DH riding the most, but have to travel a short bit for that.

To stay on topic here though, I will post what road bike I did have. It was an 80's Miyata 100. Don't mind that seat angle, I hadn't fixed that yet after buying the bike.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

Do Beach Cruisers count? I have a Giant Simple Single I ride about 10 miles every morning.

BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Nice bike!

I do have a quick question though. What's best to wear for 30-40 degree weather ridding? I don't have any cycling clothes other than a pair of old shorts. Would under amour like clothes do just fine?
    God is good.

RC Racer
    Nice bike!

I do have a quick question though. What's best to wear for 30-40 degree weather ridding? I don't have any cycling clothes other than a pair of old shorts. Would under amour like clothes do just fine?
    i would personally just where a sweater i don't wear cycling clothes and think they are way over rated i have passed many cyclists in there silly super tight clothes

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Do Beach Cruisers count? I have a Giant Simple Single I ride about 10 miles every morning.

nice beach cruiser iv never ridden one or even seen one like that ill have to try it

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by carraig042 View Post
    Thats too bad, we have all sorts of trails in the area. The closest is just 5 minutes away. I enjoy DH riding the most, but have to travel a short bit for that.

To stay on topic here though, I will post what road bike I did have. It was an 80's Miyata 100. Don't mind that seat angle, I hadn't fixed that yet after buying the bike.

-Brett
    i like that bike did you sell it? if so how much did you sell it for

RC Racer
    I wish we'd have more trails or at least a trail around me that's close.. I hear there is one at a park.. On the other side of Ohio..
    wow that sucks my closest one is 6 miles away but i mostly ride on the roads

RC Racer
    Even if 700c wheels and tires would clear, your brake mount bosses would be off. But while you're stuck with 26" tires, you could always trow some slicks on there.

As for the drop bars, I have seen people do that with a MTB. They're a little tricky to set up, though, because the geometry will be way off. Personally, I'd leave it as is and fix what needs to be fixed to get it running again.
    yeah but whats the fun in that? i love a challenge i think ill leave it as a mountain bike but modernize some stuff on it as i don't have a mountain bike.

RC Qualifier
    I ride roads 100% of the time but would like to give it a shot. I'm hoping to get out and ride later today.
    God is good.

RC Racer
    I ride roads 100% of the time but would like to give it a shot. I'm hoping to get out and ride later today.
    yeah im gonna take it easy im actually working on building a fixie i just found a frame i think will work http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/4167382082.html

RC Racer
    yeah im gonna take it easy im actually working on building a fixie i just found a frame i think will work http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/4167382082.html
    but also look what i just found its tempting http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/4166024746.html

RC Qualifier
    Is that second link just a frame or the whole bike? If it's the whole bike take it. That's a dealio.

I haven't rode in like a month.
    God is good.

RC Racer
    Is that second link just a frame or the whole bike? If it's the whole bike take it. That's a dealio.

I haven't rode in like a month.
    thats the whole bike but also look at this 10 speed http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/4165943749.html

RC Qualifier
    I like the blue bike better. Itd cost more to get the orange bike running than it would to just buy the blue one. IMHO

Check this baby out.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/bik/4161826999.html
    Last edited by ithrowstones; 11-03-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    God is good.

RC Racer
    I like the blue bike better. Itd cost more to get the orange bike running than it would to just buy the blue one. IMHO

Check this baby out.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/bik/4161826999.html
    dud you better buy that or you will be crying yourself to sleep i like the orange one better because its really rare and he said he has all the parts for it. but i have $7 at the momment but i did just sell my picco .26 on ebay so i guess i could borrow money from a friend.

RC Racer
    ok heres another bike this one i can not pass up http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/4149093657.html