Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Any updates?
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry, no, not recently. I've been doing a major remodel of my hobby room. This project is currently sitting in a box in storage. Hoping to get back to it soon.
    Do not think outside the box, redesign the box

RC Enthusiast
    Shayne82609 any updates? i'm kinda doing the same thing but striving for a fast aspalt/gravel car.

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry for not updating this in forever. Life has changed, and I'll be selling off all of my RC stuff. After setting this project aside , I completely forgot about it.

RC Enthusiast
    well it looks like my LHS is going to start up some actual racing, FINALLY!!!!!
    Stay tuned folks, this project is about to get finished up and track tested.

Nice! Is this a 200mm chassis? Post pics if you got them!
    Slash 4X4 LCG Platinum / Mini E-Revo VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Nice! Is this a 200mm chassis? Post pics if you got them!
    have pictures posted on the progress already, have a look at page #1

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne82609 View Post
    have pictures posted on the progress already, have a look at page #1
    Sorry... saw it too late to edit my post.

Great job. Any pics of your new hobby room?

I would love to see this thing completed, and use tips to help perfect the one I built.

RC Enthusiast
    Squeegie - New hobby space is getting closer, main part is done, just hafta move back in and find homes for everything.

mwe-maxxowner - I think getting the shocks setup correctly will be the biggest hurdle to overcome on this setup. Weight should be close to a stock MREVO, but the stock shocks won't fit. The AKA Impact racing wheels/tires are a bit lighter than stock MREVO pieces, so unsprung weight will be very close to stock, but the outside diameter will be taller, so there's another variable to watch.
    I think the biggest tip would be to not expect it to "BE" a 1/10th scale RC, it's still just a 1/16th chassis that's been stretched. I expect to find the limitations of the chassis while racing it against Associated B44's, Scumacher Cat's, Durango DEX410's, Losi 22-4's, etc...

Agreed. I think I have my shocks close to what's necessary. Drove it at the track for about ten minutes, broke it, and haven't fixed it yet. Lol. So I haven't been able to work on dialing it much yet.

RC Qualifier
    WOW! Hobby room....

what's in that fridge?

RC Enthusiast
    nothing harder than trailmix and tea, gorilla2891
    occasionally a Pepsi, or Mountain Dew. Never been into the harder stuff.

Where's our progress!?

RC Enthusiast
    well it's back on the bench. Time for some lexan work. 1/8" thk polycarb belly plate, and the JConcepts body. The new belly plate will help protect everything, and reinforce the front and rear pods to the new chassis.

RC Enthusiast
    quick sketch of an outline for the lexan belly plate. Vacuum forming would be more fun, but I think I'll make it out of flat sheet for now

Glad to see that this build is no longer collecting dust!

RC Enthusiast
    needed to mock up the body, so I can fit the belly plate to it. Make it all nice and tight fitted. Kind of exciting to see it mocked up as a true buggy for the first time.

RC Enthusiast
    bit more bench time tonight, fabbed up a prototype belly plate out of some thick lexan. Didn't know lexan will stress crack till tonight, whoops!

Added a front body mount to the front diff mount.

Scaled it to see if I'm going to have to move anything around. I know the race wheels will change the weights a little, but this gets me in the right ballpark. Total is 1291.1grams or 2.85 pounds. Add a body, pins, paint, wing reinforcement, should put it right at 3 pounds.

RC Qualifier
    why do what to use the 380 motor you will get more power from a 1/10 brushless like a tekin 13.5 or a reedy 17.5 motors that is what used for most 4wd buggies in my area
    Kyosho Inferno VE, Anza Slash, Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    a big part of the reason I'm starting with a 380 motor is Center of Gravity. If I mount a 540 motor, it will add a LOT of weight to the top half of the chassis. The 380 should be plenty of horsepower for local club level racing. We are limited to 2s lipos. This buggy also only weighs 3lbs complete ready to race. Most buggies I'll be racing against almost weigh that much as a stripped roller, and end up in the 4-5 lbs range RTR. If I do end up needing more power, there are a lot of options in the 380 sized motor world.

RC Enthusiast
    Body is painted. I've never been very good at great looking bodies. Just never took the time on something that's going to get beat up racing. Simple paint jobs are easier to touch up, and at 30+ mph its hard to see what it really looks like. Simple single colors are easier to spot on a track too. I do have a Bandit sticker sheet coming, just to dress it up a little.

RC Enthusiast
    this JConcepts body fits perfectly over the motor and suspension. I added some vents on the nose and back of the "cab" to help keep the motor cool. Trimming around the cantilevers was the hardest part.

Looking good!

RC Enthusiast
    another caffeine fueled late night build session and the short course truck is closer to race ready. The LHS runs races every Thursday. One week is Short Course trucks, the next is Buggies/Stadium trucks/run what ya brung. Hoping to get in on one of the test and tune nights here soon. See how these two handle.
    Last edited by Shayne82609; 05-25-2015 at 02:28 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I think "Bandit 4x4" is going to be the decals of choice. Should raise enough eyebrows and get people thumbing thru the catalogs

I ran the 380 motor with 2.8 gladiators. I did finally burn it up, but I was overgeared and beating the snot out of it. It should serve you quite well.

If it still needs more oomph, leopard has a motor that's probably right up your alley!

RC Enthusiast
    getting closer, had it fired up and testing the electrics last night. Everything works perfectly, although might have to rearrange things once I figure out how much air flow it gets across the ESC. Will post more pics tonight, but heres a teaser.

RC Enthusiast
    my meager little fleet posing for scale, Durango DESC10, Tamiya F103, the Bandit4x4

Last of the poser shots before the flogging begins:

Still deciding if I like the electrics layout or not, time will tell if the ESC will be happy upside-down inside the chassis like this.

Photobucket slideshow link: http://s726.photobucket.com/user/Sha...%204wd%20Buggy

Will post pics from the track as soon as I can..............

Looks great!
    Hope all works well at the track and that you have all the other people scratching their heads!
    Tinkering and tuning is one of the fun parts of this hobby.

RC Enthusiast
    trackside update today:
    finally managed to make it out to the lhs, and get some test-n-tune track time in. BOY DID I NEED IT!!!! The SC truck is easy to tune, there are setup sheets all over the interweb for it. Setup sheets for a MRevo converted into a 1/10th buggy, um, well, not so much.
    -Changes as they stand so far:
    1. 60wt shock oil in all 4 corners
    2. Medium weight springs from a touring car/drifter shock set (I'll try to get a rate measurement on it soon)
    3. Added velcro to the sides of the body and bottom skid plate, body pins have proven useless other than to align the body.
    4. Glued the front tires on (OOPS!)
    5. Set the throttle EPA's from 125% (max per VXL install setup instructions) to 100%. This reduces max throttle, but it proved to be more driveable.
    - Couple of on track pics.

RC Enthusiast
    This buggy proved to be able to easily keep up with a couple of other 1/10th 2wd buggies on the track at the time. Ample horsepower and traction with this motor/ESC/battery/tire combo. Motor temps were right in the 110*-120*F range. Battery and ESC seemed happy all day. My time spent making sure I wasn't "out of original design specs" seem to have paid off.

It has much more suspension travel than it really needs. Might have to limit the front travel a little (down stops). It traction rolls in the corners fairly easy. Escpecially the big turn#1-#2 banked left (pic #3 above). It looks like the front dives hard on the front, lifting the inside rear, then over it goes. So maybe a sway bar for the front might be a better bet.

It also regularly points the nose to the sky off almost every jump. I'm hoping a little bit of tuning will help most of these problems. The 6 jumps "rhythm section" proved to be my downfall with this buggy. With my short course truck, you take the jumps in doubles, 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, and it does it smoothly and repeatably. A race can easily be won or lost on this section alone. With the buggy, I managed to hit these jumps one time well enough for a race lap. The rest of the time it was all over the place.

Part of that is me. It's been 5-6 months since I've picked up a controller regularly, and better than a year since I've been on a prepared track.
    The other part is the car. It just flat will not take a jump the same way twice. I tried. I know the wind was batting it around a little in the air, but it's launches and landings were not consistent.

I'll keep at it, and will post the changes as I go.
    Last edited by Shayne82609; 06-14-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Nice. Keep at it and you'll be turning more heads with your Bandit 4X4!

RC Enthusiast
    I've already handed it to a few guys at the track and had them scratching their heads. They figure out what it is fairly quick, those cantilevers are hard to miss, but they normally end up asking a LOT of questions about it.

RC Enthusiast
    Where is the rest?

RC Enthusiast
    This is a cool thread.
    Last edited by Traxxasslash5; 06-19-2015 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Double post

RC Enthusiast
    I always preach "one change at a time, then test" for race tuning. If you change a whole bunch of stuff all at once on something like this you will never find out what helped or hurt performance. That being said, Im taking my own advice on this one. As tempted as I am to change a bunch of stuff, I only changed the rear springs to one rate stiffer (of what I have on hand). I'll be taking some shock oil with me to tomorrow nights race, so if I need to I can add that as well. The biggest thing Im shooting for is to have it launch off the jumps at a controllable semi level attitude with minimal control input, instead of the nose to the stars way it currently launches.

RC Enthusiast
    Oh sorry I didn't see the page 2 button :/

RC Enthusiast
    After a very brief couple laps last night, the rear spring rate increase did NOT help, actually made it far worse. I still think I'm going to have to add some weight to this thing. It's just so light that it makes it very squirrelly and twitchy to the slightest input from the track or me. Straights and flat turns, this thing rocks. Add some jumps and I'm all over the place, usually landing belly up (good thing the J-concepts body came with 2 wings, I'll be needing it).
    After seeing the lexan skid stress crack, I think I'm going to carve out a new bottom skid out of some 1/8" thk aluminum sheet I have laying around. Will probably be overkill on the weight, but it's easier to remove weight from an aluminum part than it is to add. It wont really gain much in strength as this thing is already amazingly rigid and has proven to be fairly tough (considering the NUMBER of rough landings), but ALL of the new weight will be on the bottom, were it needs to be. I'll keep this thread posted.

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne82609 View Post
    first thing I noticed was that sniper gun. O_O backing off. ncie build
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast