RC Racer

Shock screws keep backing out

Have you guys had any problem with this? It only the front left that keeps backing out. I tighten it back down (threads down tight) then after a bashing session it's almost out again! Is lock tight a good idea? What do you think?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew_1295 View Post
    Have you guys had any problem with this? It only the front left that keeps backing out. I tighten it back down (threads down tight) then after a bashing session it's almost out again! Is lock tight a good idea? What do you think?
    It sort of works. It can't hurt though so it's worth a shot. Is it the top one?

RC Racer
    Yup it's the top screw. I just don't want it to be a pain when I take the shocks of for maintenance

RC Enthusiast
    The problem with thread lock is it uses heat to lock the screw which could weaken your part. I would exponents
    Recommend getting the Traxxas stainless steel pins that are held in place by e clips. They are stronger and can't back out since they aren't screwed in any longer

Sent from Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4

Never mind. I just realized it says shock screw's. That fix was for another part

Last edited by cooleocool; 10-12-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    The hole is stripped. New shock tower or try the proline shock mount kit. It's cheap and your shocks will never back out again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

RC Enthusiast
    Try drilling out the shock tower and use a longer screw with a nut on the back

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeAreEff View Post
    Try drilling out the shock tower and use a longer screw with a nut on the back

Good call, that's all the proline kit is anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

RC Racer
    The threads are not stripped. The screw goes all the way in and it's tight!

RC Qualifier
    had the same problem the shock screws are just to short i put in new screws that where about 10 mm long and never had a issue again i dont know why but it fixed mine

Quote Originally Posted by Drew_1295 View Post
    The threads are not stripped. The screw goes all the way in and it's tight!
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

The problem is in the shoulder screws themselves. If you replace these with shock bushings and regular screws (12 mm, I think), you won't have any more problems.

Thread lock does not use heat and would only be effective if your shock towers were metal.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Thread lock does not use heat and would only be effective if your shock towers were metal.
    It works on plastic... sort of. It certainly works better on metals but it will help slightly on plastic, wood, and composites.

Quote Originally Posted by F-R Racing View Post
    It works on plastic... sort of. It certainly works better on metals but it will help slightly on plastic, wood, and composites.
    Thread lock for metals is not recommended for plastics. Thread lock for plastics is CA-based.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Thread lock for metals is not recommended for plastics. Thread lock for plastics is CA-based.
    I know it's not recommended but it will usually work if you have nothing else. I've used it before to hold screws into plastics and composites and it works. Not nearly as well as on metals but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by F-R Racing View Post
    I know it's not recommended but it will usually work if you have nothing else. I've used it before to hold screws into plastics and composites and it works. Not nearly as well as on metals but it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loctite 242 (blue)
    RECOMMENDED FOR
    Use on metal fasteners 1/4' (6 mm) to 3/4' (19 mm) in diameter such as bolts on small engines, swing sets and furniture
    NOT RECOMMENDED FOR
    Use in pure oxygen and/or oxygen rich systems and should not be selected as a sealant for chlorine or other strong oxidizing materials
    Use on plastic parts, particularly thermoplastic materials where stress cracking of the plastic could result
    Shouldn't that say it all?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Shouldn't that say it all?
    Interesting. I don't know of a nut or bolt on these that's 6mm or larger so we're breaking the rules already.

Do what you want. If you feel the need to recommend inferior solutions, count on that being noted.

I do something like this on my shocks: put a screw all the way through the shock bushing and the tower and then put a locknut on the back of the tower. It doesn't come off until I take it off. I call this "the right equipment for the job."
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-11-2013 at 09:40 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Greatscott hit the nail on the head. Regular screws and shock bushings will fix your broken horse correctly. A drop of CA in the hole before you put the screw in will patch it temporarily. Threadlock will make a mess.

RC Competitor
    The way I avoid the issue of having the screws for the shocks back out is to use screws long enough to go form the back through the shock and a lock nut (believe 20mm or 25mm). STRC makes bushings for their shock towers that will work. Another benefit is the ease of reinstalling the shocks, the screw is already there so the truck can be on it's wheels and not make a difference. I do the same idea for the turnbuckles as well, they never come loose and are easy to work on.

http://www.teamstrc.com/index.php?ro...product_id=412

Why are the shoulder screws the problem, and why does it only happen on one side?

Answer:
    When the shocks compress, there is a binding action between the shock and the shoulder portion of the shock shoulder screws. On one side of the truck this binding action helps to keep the shock screw tight, on the other side it loosens the screw.

Solutions:
    ksb51rl's solution is pretty good. The main thing you have to watch out for is over tightening the nut to the screw, preventing the shock from being able to pivot.

My solution: You normally have these shock bushings laying around, or you've thrown them away, I used to. I have gone to this on all of my trucks and have not had a shock screw back out on me. You just need a shock bushing and a 10-12mm screw:

What ever solution you settle on, getting rid of the shoulder screws is the first step...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    thank you guys so much for your posts and great suggestions. im taking my rig apart today for maintenance so i will try and implement one of these ideas to solve my problem.

@Ksb51rl and Greatscott.
    I incorporate both and run the screw from the rear.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.