RC Enthusiast

Ok, I couldn't wait for the Rally car, I had to go to.....

my local hobby shop and order a car, any car at this point that would allow me to test this track I've
    laid out in my 3 car garage to see for sure what size is going to be compatible.

I didn't realize until the hobby shop guy started looking at the 3 1/16 cars I had listed for him that only
    one them was available as of now.
    One of the three the 1/16 Fiesta rally type car was priced good like the 1/18 LaTrax I was hoping for
    (and will get when it finally comes out) but that Fiesta car has the old type of radio system I didn't want to mess with.
    The other RTR not available was the 1/16 Slash 4x4 truck, to bad.

So, I opted to get a 1/16 Grave Digger to check out the track with. Looks like a cool car with good features
    so who knows, if the size fits we may have to scales that will work for some fun variety.
    The Digger should be here on Thursday, I'll check it out while I'm charging up the 2 batteries then I'll know for sure.

RC Racer
    Either way. At least you'll have something to try on the new track. Try to get some photos up if your track. I'd like to see what you have going on. I have been thinking of doing a basement or garage track to be used with some latrax or other 1/18 - 1/16 scale cars.

Happy racing.

I second the request for photos. A basement track would be fun in the winter months! I can't give up my garage space, though, as I can't stand seeing my vehicles sitting outside in the elements when they don't have to be. But I do have some space in the basement that isn't being utilized at the moment...hmm...
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Enthusiast
    I have a real full week until Sat. so if the Digger shows up by Thurs. and I can get the batteries charged up and get some
    things done by Sat. I hope to give the track and car a test session.
    If so I'll try to take some pics and get those up if I can figure out how to post pics.
    I'll add more info on the track in a reply to coole.

Quote Originally Posted by tjshelton View Post
    Either way. At least you'll have something to try on the new track. Try to get some photos up if your track. I'd like to see what you have going on. I have been thinking of doing a basement or garage track to be used with some latrax or other 1/18 - 1/16 scale cars.

Happy racing.

RC Enthusiast
    Until I can get some photos up here's a little info on the garage layout.
    I have as I mentioned earlier a very large 3 car garage that provides space for one large
    car, a smaller car and a golf cart.

The layout is done with blue masking tape 1" and 1 1/2" widths (the concrete is all new so
    the tape stuck real good)
    I was able to get around 135 lineal feet of track with a minimum width of 3' 6" at any point,
    some areas like in the turns are a bit wider.
    Kind of a stadium track layout but flat road course close, tight but drivable I think, not for speed so much as tight driving challenge.
    Maybe the layout will force us to ease up on the trigger especially with the Training Mode
    with the Traxxas RTR's.

My older group wont be so interested in flat out competitive racing as much as looking for
    some fun with all the new hobby goodies available.

I'm like you, I'm retired now and a ex Hot Rod hobbiest so my cars are always sano, I
    really take care of my investments when it comes to cars. They will be pulled out of the
    garage when we decide to have a session as long as it isn't raining

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I second the request for photos. A basement track would be fun in the winter months! I can't give up my garage space, though, as I can't stand seeing my vehicles sitting outside in the elements when they don't have to be. But I do have some space in the basement that isn't being utilized at the moment...hmm...
    Last edited by FATT47; 10-09-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Ah, now that makes sense! And you can still use it for parking when you're not using the track--good idea.

Enjoy the Digger!

RC Enthusiast
    I had to come up with an idea that didn't encroach on my parking but was still easy to utilize the track.
    Yesterday I actually experimented with some think cardboard cutting it into some 3" high triangles like ramps or jumps.
    Figured I'd make one to test when I finally get the car. These type of ramps will be very portable with tape to hold them
    in place (temporary jumps), fun to mess with, we'll see if they work.
    Then when the 1/18 Rally shows up the track can be used for a more road course racing scenario, if the Training Mode
    keeps the speed down that is LOL

Ah, now that makes sense! And you can still use it for parking when you're not using the track--good idea.

Enjoy the Digger!

I've got a 1:18th vehicle that I have had for some time now. I've actually owned two of them (one standard version with a brushed motor, one version that came with factory hop-ups but no electronics that I stuck a BL system in). When I had the standard brushed version, I used to make cardboard ramps and race around indoors--that was a lot of fun in the winter! I made my ramps pretty tall, though, and I also hot glued them together. Storing them was more difficult, but the ramps were able to take a fair amount of abuse.

That said, your track with some temporary jumps would be even better! That's definitely a great idea, and you still get to park your cars inside at the end of the day.

RC Enthusiast
    Whoa! You just hit on something I had left out of the mix, I'm so use to messing with the blue masking tape that I just
    put together my first ramp with regular masking tape, I totally forgot I have stinking hot glue gun, they are so good for
    a number of project types I can't believe I forgot about it.
    That will make things a lot easier, thanks for shaking the cobwebs out of my noodle LOL

Yeah, I'm anxious to see how the ramps hold up.

I've got a 1:18th vehicle that I have had for some time now. I've actually owned two of them (one standard version with a brushed motor, one version that came with factory hop-ups but no electronics that I stuck a BL system in). When I had the standard brushed version, I used to make cardboard ramps and race around indoors--that was a lot of fun in the winter! I made my ramps pretty tall, though, and I also hot glued them together. Storing them was more difficult, but the ramps were able to take a fair amount of abuse.

That said, your track with some temporary jumps would be even better! That's definitely a great idea, and you still get to park your cars inside at the end of the day.

Haha, you're welcome. I probably use hot glue more often than I should, but it definitely worked great for building cardboard ramps. As long as you're not using thin cardboard, the ramps should hold up just fine.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah stupid me it must be age again LOL, I used a hot glue gun for most of the ten years I was building a very large HO
    train layout in a room off of another garage I had in my last home. I really put the glue gun to use doing some extensive
    scenery sub structure preparation.
    Yeah, the cardboard I've gathered up I've only saved the thicker more sturdy type, this should actually be fun now with
    the glue gun. I'm going to mess with it today hopefully and maybe while I am I'll get a call from the hobby store to come
    get the digger

Wish I knew why my messages here look fine while I'm typing em then they break up after I post em?
    Must be the iMac I'm on LOL

Haha, you're welcome. I probably use hot glue more often than I should, but it definitely worked great for building cardboard ramps. As long as you're not using thin cardboard, the ramps should hold up just fine.

RC Enthusiast
    Bummer, the Grave Digger RTR didn't come in yesterday so today I'll have my hopes up again.
    I have to go to a car show today so that pretty much kills any progress today and my
    weekend is full all but for charging up batteries if I have em.
    This waiting to get to try out the track and a car any car is becoming a bit frustrating
    Last edited by FATT47; 10-11-2013 at 08:35 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Update
    I picked up the Digger yesterday but by the time I did it it was to late to do anything but unbox the goodies to spend some
    time looking at all the stuff included.
    The car came in a nice Digger backpack, if I only had a grandkid he'd really dig having it for school.
    The car is very nice, well put together it looks to be, nice equipment and the suspension feels very adequate.
    I charged the two batteries I ended up with but today is NFL football and that means Sundays are pretty predetermined for me.

Tomorrow will be the first car test and track test and two of my potential drivers are coming by to take their first look at
    and exposure to what I'm pretty much seeing for the first time also.
    Should be fun and informative.