Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    RC Champion
    Can't wait to see it take shape!
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Can't wait to see it take shape!
    Thanks man, me too!
    "That don't make NO sense!"

RC Qualifier
    Almost did my entire cage model yesterday. I still have some more front end parts to buy so I didn't do the front part yet. I don't think I mentioned it yet but I'm doing a Camburg Kinetic truck replica. I think it's looking legit so far!

You are spot on. Do you have enough room for rear articulation of the rear end? They used to have snapshots of CAD drawings on their web site, now you have to see google images, that will help you see everything clearer. Be thinking how you can bend pieces rather than having to weld, it gets pretty boxed in rather quickly. Do your lacing last, I learned that the hard way. You'll have about $20-$25 in material for the cage. Key thing is to have room to get your battery in and out without totally taking the truck apart. My build needs a b- pillar and I can't put in in because of that. Looks great. Have you set a body on it yet to see how it looks?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
    You are spot on. Do you have enough room for rear articulation of the rear end? They used to have snapshots of CAD drawings on their web site, now you have to see google images, that will help you see everything clearer. Be thinking how you can bend pieces rather than having to weld, it gets pretty boxed in rather quickly. Do your lacing last, I learned that the hard way. You'll have about $20-$25 in material for the cage. Key thing is to have room to get your battery in and out without totally taking the truck apart. My build needs a b- pillar and I can't put in in because of that. Looks great. Have you set a body on it yet to see how it looks?
    Yeah wow thanks for the advice man! I had a small issue with the rear articulation, so I had to bend a piece so the wheels wouldn't hit. It's kinda hard o see from the pics but the main lower rod that connects to the rear of the frame isn't straight, it's bent. I'm thinking that's because my cage is a bit too wide up front so I might make a narrower version for my final model. What do you mean by lacing? Is that a welding term? I'm gonna have my battery sit kinda the same way cyconxc has his, right above the tranny. I still need to see how easy it'll be to put in and take out as well as find a battery tray to use. My current body almost fits, but I don't want trim parts off the back because I'll probably get a proline '09 chevy body for this one and use my current one for my current chassis.

Lacing is your diagonal bars finishing the "triangles" in the triangulation of the frame. I'm presuming you are going to use 3/16" material for the larger bars main structure and 1/8" for the lacing bars, hypotenuse of your triangle. Dont sweat the battery tran, I'll make you one when I make mine. Aluminum with rubber pad and velcro strap. Twist your other truck and see how much width you loose on the wheel that is up in the air, give yourself aboy 3/8" to spare and I bet the open void between the spares goes away. That will help with the nattow pivots on the rear axle. If I remember correctly, the upper link will be 1" higher than the lower and 3/16" to the rear. I'll double check that for you tomorrow. I can give you the offset angles as well. What is the width of the mounts on your axle center to center? With that I can calculate you liks as well. Only hitch is your mounts dont mount on the bottom of the axle. What is Cycon using for a rear axle, thats what you need.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I'm still waiting on my axle housing to get here from rc4wd so I'm not hooking the rear end up just yet. I have a different plan for the rear parts though, in not gonna use the wraith rear.

RC Racer
    Nice..!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RobE-71 View Post
    Nice..!!!!
    Thanks man!

RC Qualifier
    Made new L-brackets for the rear frame and a new trailing arm mount for one side because it was uneven. I also made new trailing arm mounts that attach to the axle, which I just got replaced. They are sooo much better than any I've had before! I'll be getting the rest of the truck back together in the next couple of hours. 😁😁😁😁 New mounts I made! At the desert yesterday when I lost my $20 pinion 😡

How much drive time before the part failure? Does it work considerably better than before?

RC Qualifier

Solid Axle Trophy Truck Build (somewhat slow)

How much drive time before the part failure? Does it work considerably better than before?
    I only got like two minutes in. 😢 It was really great trying it on the terrain where it belongs. It hauled! So much traction and it wasn't bouncing everywhere like a normal slash would! But that was before I made the changes to the frame I was talking about. I actually drove it a couple hours ago after putting it back together and it worked pretty well. I still really need to make a sway bar though lol. I'm saving for a sidewinder 8th system though because the velineon is having problems pushing around an eight pound truck with no slipper clutch 😁😁

RC Champion
    Ocotillo is a great place for rc's, mine has seen most of its life there. How did the trenchers like it there?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Ocotillo is a great place for rc's, mine has seen most of its life there. How did the trenchers like it there?
    Oh they did great! I got tons of traction especially with such a heavy truck. It hauled too! It wasn't bouncing around everywhere and it soaked up everything

RC Champion
    Ocotillo is awesome for these trucks first off. Also you will love the castle 8th system, I've had zero issues with mine and I run it hard.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 96motorhead View Post
    Ocotillo is awesome for these trucks first off. Also you will love the castle 8th system, I've had zero issues with mine and I run it hard.
    That's nice to hear man, I'm trying to save enough for one before thanksgiving. Does it get hot at all?

RC Champion
    I run on 3s and it stays cool. If u are running the stock slipper u will want to upgrade it because it can't handle the power. The motor is rated for 11 or so pounds so anything under it should pull fine. My buggy is 7.5 lbs I would imagine your truck is about the same.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by seanycool View Post
    The wood layout looks great, could you give us some insight on how you manage to create such a detailed model? You and CyconXc seem to be able to come up with great wood models from what seems to be nothing but pics. Please do share!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet126 View Post
    The wood layout looks great, could you give us some insight on how you manage to create such a detailed model? You and CyconXc seem to be able to come up with great wood models from what seems to be nothing but pics. Please do share!
    Hey thanks man. Since I don't have CAD or anything this was my only option lol, had to learn how to get this right. I also love to draw, so I start out by scaling the chassis down to a 13 inch wheelbase (taking into acct. trailing arm length etc.) Having good pics is vital if you want to replicate it well. Then I just start making the wood frame on top of the paper to create certain sections. After that you put it together like a house haha. Not sure how Slashbash did his, but that's my method

But it won't be prefect the first time by any means. You have to make many many changes to get it how you want. Like I said in my last video I've been working on mine for weeks now.
    #customrctrophytruck

RC Qualifier
    Yeah my method so far hasn't been as thought out as Cyconxc's lol. I just started throwing sticks together based off pictures of the design. For the final model wood cage, I'll probably scale it down and do it that way to make sure I get it right. But you also have to take into account small things like the width of the body you're going to use, width and length of chassis, etc. So you have to design around the set dimensions. Idk if you can see in this picture but the very bottom section of the cage actually angles inward and then connects to the lower chassis. This will limit my chassis space quite a bit but I should be able to figure it out. Did I answer the question? Hehe

Try these on for size, they may help you out.

RC Qualifier
    Try these on for size, they may help you out.

Yeah thanks man I was gonna use those but I don't have big enough paper to print it out. I might just draw it

RC Qualifier
    Did a huge tear down and fixed a bunch of things like my wheelbase, link geometry, and top links. I also posted an overview video on my YouTube channel. Check it out! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn7u10TRtZk

RC Enthusiast
    I ordered my welder today, Princess Auto (in Canada) had them on for 1/2 price, for $100 can't really go wrong. I'm still having trouble figuring out the which axle to go with. The Yeti XL seems the best, but it's too wide for 1/8 scale TT body. I know I want a centered axle, but not sure what else is going to fit for 1/8 scale.

CyconXc - Your the inspiration for this whole thing, all your fault I'm going to be going for 1/8 scale I think. Using the TA sc8.2e body.

seanycool - I'm with you, some planning but really - just through the sticks together and see how it goes. It's only wood so easy to change.

MAC FAB - Those are great shots, do know know if there's a front view one? I've been trying to find a good front view one for awhile.
    Last edited by Silverbullet126; 12-09-2014 at 02:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet126 View Post
    I ordered my welder today, Princess Auto (in Canada) had them on for 1/2 price, for $100 can't really go wrong. I'm still having trouble figuring out the which axle to go with. The Yeti XL seems the best, but it's too wide for 1/8 scale TT body. I know I want a centered axle, but not sure what else is going to fit for 1/8 scale.

CyconXc - Your the inspiration for this whole thing, all your fault I'm going to be going for 1/8 scale I think. Using the TA sc8.2e body.

seanycool - I'm with you, some planning but really - just through the sticks together and see how it goes. It's only wood so easy to change.

MAC FAB - Those are great shots, do know know if there's a front view one? I've been trying to find a good front view one for awhile.
    What type of welder is it? Yeah haha for the actual model I'm gonna be more accurate and take my time since I'll base the metal version off it.

Front view.

RC Champion
    Yeah thanks man I was gonna use those but I don't have big enough paper to print it out. I might just draw it
    Use google sketch up, not sure if you can print it but that may be an option.

Save pics to a flash drive and go to Staples or equivalent and make copies until your wheelbase matches, which happens to give you a 6" trailing arm, and the chassis tubes scaling to about 1/4". 11x17 paper works fine. I was going to build this truck instead of my buggy but couldn't find a rear axle that I liked for gear longevity. I will build it, after something else first, out of aluminum so the it will weigh about 6.5 lbs, then the rear axles won't be the problem. Looking forward to seeing some metal on this project. Just remember, bend as much of the chassis as possible so that when you weld it it doesn't want to move all over creation. Keep up the good work. One final note, once you finish it you won't want to bash it for all your time! Let her have it anyhow, no trailer queens! :^)

RC Enthusiast
    What type of welder is it? Yeah haha for the actual model I'm gonna be more accurate and take my time since I'll base the metal version off it.
    Welder isn't anything fancy, but the reviews were good and it's cheap. Here's the link if you'd like: http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...er/A-p8209686e

Front view.

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Update update updaaaaaaaaaate! Made a bazillion changes to the truck starting Christmas Day, main ones being I made a new lower chassis and widened the frame to fit the battery in it because I angled the transmission for less pinion angle. Received a MMP sct 2400 kv system and a couple SPC 2s lipo's. Also took it out to the desert after all the changes and it did great!!! Desert vid coming hopefully this weekend. Also have an overview video of the changes on it. Check me out slashbash124 on YouTube. Poor thing's been sitting like this for the last few days though, needs some more work on the axle.

RC Qualifier
    Desert video is up! I was gonna add music but I like the sounds of the desert and the truck. Username slashbash124

Cool stuff. Were you at Superstition, Plaster City or Ocotillo Wells? You gotta run it through a rough whoop section next time so we can see that sucker working it! How is that mamba sct setup working for you? I'm thinking about robbing my Losi truck for the mamba sct stuff it has for the build-off. How long do you think the cage version will take you to complete? Is it do-able from a nothing/blank start to finish in 4 mos?

RC Qualifier
    Cool stuff. Were you at Superstition, Plaster City or Ocotillo Wells? You gotta run it through a rough whoop section next time so we can see that sucker working it! How is that mamba sct setup working for you? I'm thinking about robbing my Losi truck for the mamba sct stuff it has for the build-off. How long do you think the cage version will take you to complete? Is it do-able from a nothing/blank start to finish in 4 mos?
    Thanks man! I was at ocotillo, off the road just past the blue inn. I know next time for sure! Problem is all the whoops are dirtbike sized lol. I'll make some next time!! The mamba system is great! Tons of torque and barely gets warm after really harsh abuse lol. Thing is, it's 2400 kv so it's kind of slow, but I can hear up since it doesn't get too hot. I think I should be able to do the build in about four months, just getting all the parts together should take most of the time because of money. We'll see though there's a lot that needs to be done!

RC Qualifier
    Here's the link to the vid by the way guys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w0qaUDyFtE

RC Qualifier
    Sand blasted the axle housing and truss for looks. It looks 20 times better! I'm trying to get this axle back to usable shape as a backup, I'm gonna weld trailing arm mounts on in the next couple weeks so they'll never break again. But holy cow I love this look so much more than the black! It looks so fresh lol

RC poster
    What axle are you running I'm sure you have covered it just don't want to go back through 6 pages lol

RC Qualifier

Solid Axle Trophy Truck Build (somewhat slow)

Quote Originally Posted by Aprutsman View Post
    What axle are you running I'm sure you have covered it just don't want to go back through 6 pages lol
    Lol I know what you mean, try finding something in XC's thread though! Like eighty pages of craziness... But the axle is an RC4wd Centered Wraith housing, and the other parts for it had to be bought separately, such as lockouts, bearings, housing cover, gears, trailing arm mounts, and some screws. By the way can you see the pics I just posted? They don't show up for me.
    Last edited by seanycool; 02-11-2015 at 08:34 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456