RC poster

Tires, Tires and More Tires!

Hey all, I am a proud owner of the stampede VXL, but it's crazy how many sets of tires I run through! I don't feel I'm too rough with it, but I'm having to replace the tires all the time. First, one little part will pop off the rim, then it's not before long the whole tire is off and I'm getting the wobbles!

My question is... Do you have any tricks to help these tires last a little bit longer? (Eg: a bead of crazy glue between the tire and rim?)

Please let me know what works for you guys!

-Geoff

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the tires come pre-glued if they are factory sets...... if not, you are supposed to glue them
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0o

RC Qualifier
    Factory glued tires are notorious for separating. I will never buy another set of pre-glued's. You can do a much better job if you do it yourself. I repaired my stock talons. They had seperated really bad. I used acetone to seperate the bead the rest of the way. Clean up the rims making sure to sand them with like a 220 sandpaper anywhere the rubber contacts the rim. Buy some CA glue.. Also known as tire glue.. Traxxas acutally makes some really good CA glue. Traxxas Ultra Premium Tire Glue 6468 lift up the bead and slowly work your way around making sure the glue gets full coverage on the bead and tire. Use some rubber bands to compress the bead until the glue dries. It only takes a few mins.. as it's basically just crazy glue.. But I would leave the rubber bands for a good hour.. After that you should be good to go.. The better job you do the better the end result, and the more in balance they will be.

I use Proline Wheels/Tires preglued with no issues to far and I bash hard on 3s with a Castle 1415 2400KV Motor.

Taping them helps to...then glue!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Slash 4x4
    Stampede 4x4

I know everyone has their ways on how they like taped or untapped but I don't tape mine because it helps with flips and goes over terrain better but that's just me guys.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

Depends on the tire too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    Slash 4x4
    Stampede 4x4

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I dont tape my mashers, but I only run 2s speeds(under 40mph) anything faster, and it would be a good idea to tape them. I also agree with Spencer that the tires perform much better untaped over the rough stuff.

The factory tires are just fine as long as you check them and touch up the spots that were missed at the factory. Once you get them dirty, it is very tough to fix them. My last set of new talons were pretty bad. All of the rims had spots with no glue. About 25% of the total bead area was glue less between the 4 tires.

I like AKA tire glue the best. I cannot bake or boil the tires off like with other glues. Only acetone will work. It is that strong.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

For offroad bashing it is not necessary to tape the tires because you just can't go fast enough that the ballooning effect becomes a problem. I run my trenchers on a high power 3s setup and only when doing backflips the tires balloon but that doesn't matter at all.

I love how my trenchers eat the terrain as they balloon a bit but would tape if all I did was speed runs but that's boring IMO and I would not use a monster truck for it.......peace

RC Champion
    I never thought about not taping mine. I am wanting a new set of wheels and tires and was going tape them but now after hearing somebody say no tape. Has me thinking, as a basher only, what's the point.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    To the OP, crazy glue can by all means be used to touch up small areas that become unglued. I use a Q-tip with nitro cleaner on it, to clean the spot that need to be glued. Here is a video on gluing tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFTFUSzspD8

I recommend this glue for your first couple of times, its very user friendly and is the most common glue sold in LHS.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...hened-CA-1-2oz

I hope this helps ya, remember to take your time.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtwohands View Post
    I never thought about not taping mine. I am wanting a new set of wheels and tires and was going tape them but now after hearing somebody say no tape. Has me thinking, as a basher only, what's the point.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Speed runs... I taped my trenchers. And I havent noticed much of a difference. If you're upgrading from stock the pro lines are such a drastic improvement over the talons you will notice nothing but proformance improvements..

Yeah man the extra grip is sick over stock and they last as well..........peace