RC poster

problom with center diff. in REVO?

I just installed a center diff. in REVO, with the rear break kit. Rear break is not draging , but the truck will not roll freely with out the rear tires locking up? So I assume this extra drag will be hard on the engine? I dont think it should do this. I might have a faulty new diff kit?
    any ideas, please help! Once again, it is not the rear break, rear break rolls freely.

RC poster
    I have not ran the truck since installing the diff, BTW the truck will roll but only with applied force!
    Quote Originally Posted by fst751 View Post
    I just installed a center diff. in REVO, with the rear break kit. Rear break is not draging , but the truck will not roll freely with out the rear tires locking up? So I assume this extra drag will be hard on the engine? I dont think it should do this. I might have a faulty new diff kit?
    any ideas, please help! Once again, it is not the rear break, rear break rolls freely.

RC Champion
    you probably have a problem with the rear brake if it's only the rear tires. Don't tighten the screws for the break disk all the way. If you do it will lock up. I know you said it's not the rear brake but I know several people that this happened too and it was the rear brake. If your 100% sure it's not the rear brake check the drive lines to make sure there isn't something hitting. Also take the trans out and spin the rear drive shaft to see if the problem is the rear end or the trans.
    Last edited by 96motorhead; 09-28-2013 at 12:12 AM.

RC Champion
    Even if the diff was faulty and locked up, it would not create any drag. It would be the same effect as the solid shaft you replaced with the diff. The diff can't differentiate between front and back, in regard to one side having more resistance then the other, when you are rolling the truck back and forth on the bench. Maybe the shims are not in the right place, and the CD assembly is rubbing inside the case, or rubbing against the drive gear.

The screws that hold the rear brake arm are too short. Search, and you will see that a lot of people replace those screws with ones that are slightly longer. The only issue with longer screws is, making sure you do not screw them all the way thru the case, and causing interference with the gears. The rear brake assembly can be finicky to get setup right. You did not mention if there is drag when you apply some throttle on your controller. That would let you know if there is brake drag.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

RC Enthusiast
    If you installed a fluid center diff with FOC this is completely normal. I assume you installed it with the factory 100K fluid. If so it will be tight and not roll freely. Fire it up and go hammer about half a tank through it and then it will loosen up and roll normally. But like stated you will have to constantly work at getting the brake bias set. You need to get the pads broke in and then keep adjusting to find the balance. I have mine set at about 40/60 front/rear and have them tuned to lock the rears and heavily drag the fronts. I'm a racer so that's why I tune this way but it will also work well for bashing. But don't freak out about the diff. Its fine and just needs a little run time to loosen it up.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 4