Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    So i took the Beast out for its first real test run . Ran for about 45 min in low gear then about 15 in hi once i finally worked up the nerve. At first while driving in the back yard and on some trails the tires seemed to wobble a lot in low gear running about 10mph. Must have been from the ground being frozen because once i hit pavement at 30mph it was smooth as silk. Pulled the wheels off the ground a few time in low but never tried in hi for fear of breakage. The creek was frozen over so of course we had to try that . Even drove slowly through 2 inches of water without getting water near the electronics . I'm guessing with the load these tires put on the motor there was no cogging what so ever. The best part was the noise the tires made at 30mph on pavement just like a real truck with some big mud tires. After an hour the motor was hardly even warm to the touch maybe 100 degrees. The only bad was the steering and i didn't have any drag brake so it just free spooled down big hills.

RC Qualifier
    Could you post a video?

RC Qualifier
    I will see what I can do but all I have is the iPhone to record with.

RC Qualifier
    Great build

RC Qualifier

Cool

On the initial test run the servo saver spring was too weak so i built one from a washer and super strong spring. It had to be made shorter then the original because it doesn't compress and was bending the top of the bellcrank. [IMG][/IMG]
    I dont have any lights wired up on it yet so i bought a 120 lumen led flashlight and zip tied it to the front fender . I have 2 smaller flashlights on my other Summit which looks better then just one so gonna make another trip to get another one today. I should have bought 2 in the first place but wanted to see if this one would look too big . It is Summit Overkill after all.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The receiver box was to small so i broke out the Dremel . Its not waterproof but should protect everything as long as i dont submerge it. Plus i wanted to have easy access to the esc plug for using the field programer .[IMG][/IMG]
    Thanks for all the help and nice comments so far with the build.

RC Qualifier
    Short video

RC Qualifier
    This one hurt me more then the Summit.

RC Qualifier
    Have a few more on You Tube if you search my username malonefamily2003. This was the last video i could make for a good reason we tried the next wheelie at full throttle did not end well.

RC Qualifier
    Having trouble with the steering mostly in reverse and steering full to one side then when I try to steer the other direction it shuts the truck down for a split second or 2. Not sure if servos are pulling to much juice for the glitch buster or if the tires are just to big for the servos. May be time for a good BEC if that doesn't help might have to go back to the stock servo saver spring . The steering will stick but I won't burn anything up.

RC Champion
    Have u adjusted your pillow balls? If you get them to tight or they start getting really dirty they will have the same symptom

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    It could be causing the servo to work to hard in one direction. Do sent make sense to me really but I have made the same mistake across several rc

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    No when I put the widening kit on I made sure the front pillow balls were loose because they were to tight when I tested the steering .

RC Qualifier
    Ok so i was wrong i think it may have been the spider gears but not sure what part went first.[IMG][/IMG]
    The ring and pinion gear still look new . The output shafts look ok so gonna reuse them since i will probably be redoing the diff next week .

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by malonefamily2003 View Post
    Ok so i was wrong i think it may have been the spider gears but not sure what part went first.[IMG][/IMG]
    The ring and pinion gear still look new . The output shafts look ok so gonna reuse them since i will probably be redoing the diff next week .
    hate it when that happens

RC Qualifier
    I dont mind the breakage too much its just the part when i have to tell the wife i broke my toy again and have to order more parts. My LHS doesn't carry any parts for the Summit so i have to ebay them and she gets all of the alerts .

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by malonefamily2003 View Post
    I dont mind the breakage too much its just the part when i have to tell the wife i broke my toy again and have to order more parts. My LHS doesn't carry any parts for the Summit so i have to ebay them and she gets all of the alerts .
    haha I know the feeling I have almost 80 rc vehicles now. she calls me a baby when I brake my trucks and keep wanting more trucks

RC Qualifier
    Does anyone make a spool for the Summit . Just wanting one for the rear since it takes the most abuse.

May need to switch out to a Revo bulkhead.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    May need to switch out to a Revo bulkhead.
    that sounds pretty simple will check it out thanks

Revo bulkhead to accommodate for the Revo spool. I have not seen a spool for the Summit... since it has a locking differential I don't think there is any aftermarket support for such a thing.

RC Qualifier
    Revo bulkhead to accommodate for the Revo spool. I have not seen a spool for the Summit... since it has a locking differential I don't think there is any aftermarket support for such a thing.
    So i basically need the Erevo bulkhead, Erevo diff, and an Erevo spool ? Make one axle shaft just a hair longer and unhook the micro servo for the rear.

Basically... or pack it with mixed JBWeld. That seems simpler to me anyway.

Some use unmixed for near locked diff action... but I imagine mixed would result in a spool, just like you want, for a whole lot cheaper than a new bulkhead/axle/diff/spool.

RC Qualifier
    You read my mind I stopped and picked up some of the clear JB weld . Stayed up late cleaning the grease off everything . will see in the next few days if it works.

RC Qualifier
    I know you can't solder aluminum but would it be ok melt some solder and pour into an aluminum Diff cup . Would the solder be strong enough to keep the gears from moving effectively making a spool.

It just might work.

But, you can solder aluminum... it just takes the right equipment.

RC Racer
    Noob question.....spool? Crave enlightenment.
    Drive Angry My Friends!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimskull View Post
    A spool is a solid shaft through the ring gear that locks both rear tires and eliminates the weak spider gears and output gears.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimskull View Post
    It eliminates the spider gears and locks the diff.
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    It just might work.

But, you can solder aluminum... it just takes the right equipment.
    Did not know that I knew you can weld aluminum . You learn something new everyday.

RC Qualifier
    Got the Summit put back together seems very solid but time will tell. Took it out for a 30 min test run at 3am the new headlight are very bright and make night driving a breeze. Gonna stop at LHS to pick up a ring and pinion gear and try pouring solder in the diff cup so I can have a few extra diffs just in case.

RC Qualifier
    Looking for a couple more sets of tires for the Summit . RC4WD is pretty much out of stock ado does anyone have any suggestions . I do need a set for speed but would like to try out some trail and climbing tires .

RC Qualifier
    So last night I went to take my baby out for some fun in the snow and noticed one of my homemade rims had broke . The epoxy may have been spread a little to thin. I spent an hour trying to get the glued tire off the rim. Gonna stop tonight for some plastic epoxy and fix her back up.

RC Qualifier
    Got the Wheel fixed last night and shortened the body post so that the body helps protect the esc and batteries a little better. Hope to get of work early and try it in the snow.

RC Qualifier
    Went to add some drag brake with the field programmer yesterday .Steering worked fine but when i gave it throttle the esc started shooting sparks so i unplugged the batts . So i plugged the programmer back in and put the drag brake back down to 10% and tried it again same deal sparks like crazy. This thing has had at most 3 sets of batts through it The Summit never holds up long enough to even run a full set of batts and the esc is already dead . Called Castle as soon as i got up and gotta send it in and wait 2 weeks for it to get repaired. Starting to think i should have gone with the cheaper esc and motor combo .

RC poster
    I've got another set of "big boggers" if you or someone else wants them. Only ran them in the basement for 5 min. I am interested in every post on this thread. Awesome build man

RC Qualifier
    Looked at a cheaper setup from overseas and it's gonna be around 200 bucks for a esc motor combo . Not sure why I didn't just get this one in the first place. I already know the motor will bolt right up to my motor mount and uses the same 8mm bore pinion just have to redo the esc mounts as this one looks a little bigger. Guess I will use the mamba xl2 as a paperweight. Might as well get rid of the motor too as it's probably got some damage on the inside and will go bad shortly after I replace the esc.

RC Qualifier
    It's hard to find cheap 1/5 combo although with a quick google search you should find one .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    Well at the end of the week im getting laid-off at work for 2 weeks so no rc funds . Guess the whole project will be done for awhile .

I hope it is just 2 weeks.
    My 2 week lay off began 5 years ago last July. lol

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the great pick me up Jimmie. Their putting in some new equipment at work and can't run production at the same time for fear of contamination . I make BallPark hot dogs for a living.