Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    I am new to the whole brushless motor deal and have some concerns. First I noticed that with no load on motor at the absolute slowest speed possible the motor wants to pulsate and not stay at a consonant speed. Second I notice that also with no load if I smash the throttle the motor falls on its face for a split second then takes of. It's almost like it goes in reverse for a second then forward the whole Summit shackes and rattles Really bad. Just wondering if this is typical for brushless or if I'm doing something wrong here. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

RC Champion
    The pulsation is called "cogging" and is normal for brushless motors especially ones with super strong magnets like yours.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    What you referred to as pulsating is called cogging. It's what happens in a sensorless brushless system because the ESC doesn't know the position of the motor shaft and begins to send power until the car moves. Although if you purchase sensored brushless the sensor cable tells the ESC the position of the motor shaft and can take off smoothly (I don't believe you can get them in 1/5 size). Your second problem could be throttle mapping?
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

Reversing rotation slightly before spinning in the right direction is cogging as well.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the helpful info guys.

RC Qualifier
    I was thinking of adding a 2s batt and a BEC to my Summit to help run servos ,lights and what ever else. Will it help out enough to be worth the price of a batt and BEC plus the pain of trying to wire it up. I have read that some people would rather not run a bunch of amps through the Rx as well .

I've done it... but I still have everything ran through the Rx.
    The only benefit I have is more weight up front for crawling and no fear of brown outs.
    There would be more benefit if I ran at a voltage higher than 6v, but I'd rather not complicate the wiring more.

Most Rx's are good for quite high amperage.

RC Qualifier
    Was gonna stay with 6 volts mainly looking for longer run time

Unless you're running a ton of lights and fans you are not going to see much increase in run time running a stand alone BEC system. Maybe 5 minutes?

RC Qualifier
    Thinking of adding a winch to the Summit. Does anyone make one big enough to pull a big Summit. All the ones I have found are way under powered . I have a bunch toy grade rc's that I could use some gears and motors from. I am sure I could add enough gears to have the torque needed but not sure if the plastic gears would hold up. If anyone has made their own I could use some good ideals and pics.

RC Qualifier
    You could get a heavy duty 360 degree servo, I believe Jamann used one to make a winch you could send him a PM

RC Champion
    Sick build dude!!!!
    Love it!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    You could get a heavy duty 360 degree servo, I believe Jamann used one to make a winch you could send him a PM
    Does anyone sell a servo that would be strong enough to pull the Summit. Without the body it weights in at around 16lbs . Most servos i have found only do up to 6 full rotations which would make for some very short pulls. Would like about 2-3 ft of line.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I think you can mod just about any servo to continuously spin by removing a limiter inside???
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Yep you can mod one to continuous rotation.not very hard either.i used a 1/5 size servo

It would pick it right off the ground.i had crushers with 7.5 oz per front wheel.it was heavy.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Thanks do you have a thread on here showing how you did that winch. What is the part# for the servo. My main concerns would be modding the servo to get it to keep rotating more than a normal one and how to get it to work with the Tx.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by malonefamily2003 View Post
    Thanks do you have a thread on here showing how you did that winch. What is the part# for the servo. My main concerns would be modding the servo to get it to keep rotating more than a normal one and how to get it to work with the Tx.
    Here are some Videos how to make these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRfOCV_xu2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv6VsPzT_W0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK8mhnEzcvY
    Last edited by soundmaster; 12-02-2013 at 12:42 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Tried the mod in the first video and it didnt turn out so well. It worked but moved very slow and dimmed all my lights.

RC Champion
    Tried the mod in the first video and it didnt turn out so well. It worked but moved very slow and dimmed all my lights.
    Seems as if the servo is drawing a lot of current. Probably the servo also is overstrained.

Did you install an external BEC?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    Seems as if the servo is drawing a lot of current. Probably the servo also is overstrained.

Did you install an external BEC?
    No BEC but I unplugged both steering servos and just pluged in the winch servo.

RC Champion
    No BEC but I unplugged both steering servos and just pluged in the winch servo.
    I would suggest an external BEC and a stronger servo.

Maybe Jamann can give you some tips.

RC Qualifier
    Tried it using a stock Traxxas 2075 servo so maybe something bigger will work. My question is how can get it to work with the Summit Tx/Rx. I never unlock the diffs so I could use one of those spots on the Rx. How do I get the Tx to rotate the winch in both directions.

RC Champion
    There is a special controller to operate a winch on a 2 position switch. So you could rather use the gear switch or the diff lock switch to operate the winch.

Check this out:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vendo...d-channel.html

And together with the servo:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/elect...-tutorial.html
    Last edited by soundmaster; 12-06-2013 at 06:44 AM.

It might be time to start looking in the direction of a hacked FlySky GT3B or GT3C.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    It might be time to start looking in the direction of a hacked FlySky GT3B or GT3C.
    Really don't wanna switch Tx/Rx kinda like this one. Is there any way to run 2 Rx's off 1 Tx.

Check out a guy by the name of heyok on Rc crawler.He makes winch controllers amongst other things.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Check out a guy by the name of heyok on Rc crawler.He makes winch controllers amongst other things.

Sent using lipo power
    Already Posted #103!

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5613549

Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    I really need to keep up with the tour. Lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Ok finally got my pinion and put it on today . There is some hesitation going forward but reverse is right on if not too sensitive. When i first fired it up the motor was running in the wrong direction so i switched the red and white wires on the motor. Not sure but i may need to switch wires again . I have the TQI Tx and not sure if it has the servo reversing like the old Tq Rx if it does i think switching the wires back and reversing the servo on ch2 would make it run right.

RC Qualifier
    Got the throttle channel reversed and took some timing out off the motor . So now the hesitation is gone but it cogs really bad now. Tomorrow i will put some timing back in until cogging is at a minimum.

RC Qualifier
    I'm putting 8mm bullet connectors on batts and esc and would like to know what size and type of wire anyone would recommend ?

RC Champion
    Pretty thick those 8mm.

RC Qualifier
    The dual rate springs were not strong enough and the rear end pretty much drags the ground . I had a set of valve springs from a blown motor on my kids Honda Atc 70 that seem to work much better . The springs were so short i had to double them up end to end for the right length . I ordered another set of springs for the other shock and they should be here in the next week. Not sure of the valve spring rate but i would say about 40lb or more.

RC Qualifier
    Ok charger and valve springs arrived in the mail . To bad I'm at work!!!

RC Qualifier
    Just a few pics of upgraded springs for the rear[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    By far the most innovative build I've ever seen keep up the good work and smart thinking

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelRobbo View Post
    By far the most innovative build I've ever seen keep up the good work and smart thinking
    THANKS it's nice to hear the great comments .

RC Qualifier
    THANKS it's nice to hear the great comments .
    Without a problem

RC Qualifier
    First real run today and it was amazing i was blown away . In hi gear it was hard to keep the front end down even when at half throttle when i punched it hard the front wheels came up and over. Low gear is much faster then stock but it revs out so quick it makes me think i need a larger pinion . Right now its 18/68 and thinking of trying 25/65. Only 2 down sides was that its so heavy that when coming down from a wheelie the front end slams the ground hard so time to order more springs. The second down side was that even with both diffs locked the entire time and slipper as tight as possible not one single broken part.

RC Qualifier
    No broken parts a downside?! I'd be stoked to have no broken parts with that power system in a truck..