Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

Huge Traxxas Summit OVERKILL

I am starting my Summit 1/10 build. This is my first hobby grade rc and my first build and need some help. I am looking for some huge wheels and tires . I have some tires i would like to use Interco Super Swamper 40 Series 3.8" TSL/Bogger Scale Tire Part Number Z-T0109 from RC4WD and want to use these wheels Demolisher Universal Beadlock Wheels 14mm, 17mm 23mm Part Number Z-W0137 but not sure if they will fit Summit. I am also dropping a Castle Creation 2028 brushless 780kv motor and Mamba XL2 34v esc . I will be running two 8s lipos. I have ordered the aluminum chassis and motor mount from Kershaw Design so my second problem is i cant find a 32 pitch spur gear with a 8mm center bore to fit this big motor. Thanks for any help

RC Champion
    man you will need diff up grades emediatly with the tires alone ....and the 1/5 scale motor on 8s....its would be recomended to get steel center drive shafts and either lem's aluminum drive shafts or some steel drive shafts...and the 2028 motor i dont think it will fit in the summit cuase of how big it is

not to cut you down but to acomidaite the power system and tires your going to have to spend alot more money then what you have already
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Qualifier
    I have already ordered a motor mount from Kershaw Design that is built for Summit and has the bolt pattern for the Castle 2028. I have a big list of parts to find and order yet I stopped adding up prices around 1600 not counting price of Summit itself . MIP steel center shafts and steel axle shafts are a must since i have destroyed so many with the stock setup . I could live without the tires and wheels for now considering the tires and wheels alone weigh a total of 16 pounds . Which is more than the whole Summit as stock i didn't plan on bashing it or any speed runs. I built a 2ft by 2ft steel trailer that i hook to my kids Summit and was planning to haul my Summit . I just can't believe a 30 dollar pinion gear is holding me up.

I see LOTS of broken parts in your future... the Summit is near its limits with brushed DeWALT power, let alone a 1/5 scale monstrosity. I am not even sure hardened gears and all aluminum/steel drive line will even hold up.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Champion
    man 30 bucks for a pinion gear

thats just to much for 1 pinion!

RC Qualifier
    I would gladly pay that to get this build moving again. I dont know what it would cost to have someone special machine one for me but thats my next option unless i can find a spur gear in Mod1 or Mod1.5 that would work on Summit. Those are the only pitch gears that come with 8mm bore that i have seen.

RC Qualifier
    Look around most expensive one I have found was almost $8.88

Here you can find them from 8t to 23t all 32P his are all $8.88 on his web page.

Start of 3 pages of 32P
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...E32%3C%2Fb%3Ep
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Qualifier
    I looked them up and they were 5mm bore or smaller i am looking for 8mm bore

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by malonefamily2003 View Post
    I looked them up and they were 5mm bore or smaller i am looking for 8mm bore
    Send it to us. We can bore it for you and ship it back. Like to see this build go up mount Everest. Lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadingEdge View Post
    Send it to us. We can bore it for you and ship it back. Like to see this build go up mount Everest. Lol
    I ordered 1 from Kershaw Design about 2 weeks ago so it should be here in the next week a whopping 35 bucks. That was before i new much about you guys but if i need any more i will come to you guys first

I think I should clarify... I'm not attempting to discourage, only inform.

Last time I was on Kershaw's site I remember seeing quite a few pinion options.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Last time I was on Kershaw's site I remember seeing quite a few pinion options.

and to add to that i think kershaw does custom pinions to.... least i had seen somewhere that they can make custom stuff

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    and to add to that i think kershaw does custom pinions to.... least i had seen somewhere that they can make custom stuff
    I have tried Kershaw and no reply to my email and no phone # to contact them

RC Qualifier
    My plan is to buy two steel 5mm bore 32 pitch pinions, one 14 tooth and one 16 tooth and drill them out to 8mm. Then buy a 8mm pinion and a bore reducer from 8mm to 5mm .Place bore reducer into 8mm pinion ,put that and one of my 5mm bore pinions on a bare 5mm motor shaft ,tack weld both pinions together ,remove 5mm shaft and bore reducer from pinions and using a 8mm drill bit drill straight through the 14 and 16 tooth pinions.If i do it right everything should be centered and balanced.From my measurements the 14 tooth pinion wont have much meat left under the teeth. If motor location allows i can flip the 14 tooth pinion so that the grub screw is on the inside up against the motor and the teeth can hang out over the end of motor shaft that way i wont have to drill all the way through the pinion .If that works i can even go down to maybe a 12 tooth or less. At least it sound good in my head for now

What about shaving down the motor shaft to 5mm? Is that out of the question?

RC poster
    Could you drill out the appropriate 5mm to 8mm center bore?

I wouldn't recommend that unless you have the proper machinery to do it... this is coming from someone that has been around machinists for his entire life.

Just the smallest fraction too big, you have an off center counter weight on the end of your motor.
    Just the smallest fraction out of true, you have an off center counter weight on the end of your motor.

Not to mention weakening an already thin walled pinion. For that reason alone I would not attempt it even though I do have access to all the proper machinery.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I hate to point you in a different area, but maybe you'd find more pertinent info on a fifth scale forum? There are probably a lot more guys delving into the realm of monster builds like this!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Qualifier
    What tooth count pinion are you wanting, that has you sticking to mod 1 or 1.5.

Maxx I have looked into 5th scale trucks for parts and was not able to do much good due to the way the Summit is built.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Edstoys View Post
    What tooth count pinion are you wanting, that has you sticking to mod 1 or 1.5.

Maxx I have looked into 5th scale trucks for parts and was not able to do much good due to the way the Summit is built.
    I am wanting somewhere around the stock 14 tooth pinion but I need one with a 8mm center bore . The only reason I mention the Mod1 and Mod1.5 is because they are the only pinions I could find with 8 mm center bore but then I would need a new spur gear to match

RC Qualifier
    Hey u have the 1/5 scale body on your summit? Would all the other parts from the summit fit on it r u had to do some modfactions?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Billgates1234 View Post
    Hey u have the 1/5 scale body on your summit? Would all the other parts from the summit fit on it r u had to do some modfactions?
    Pretty much everything bolted right in. The servos will work but you will need a stronger servo saver spring and saver arm.

RC Qualifier
    What kind of saver spring did u get and what kind of saver arm I want them to be the same as us so them series u have turns us swampers like they ain't nothing? And how fast is yours? Do u do alot of bashing with ur aluminum chassis?

RC Champion
    i have run the Demolisher wheels on a stock summit with no issues but you have to treat it with respect
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by turok View Post
    i have run the Demolisher wheels on a stock summit with no issues but you have to treat it with respect
    . What did you have to do to get them to bolt up . Have not ordered mine yet so only have pics to look at

RC Champion
    sorry guys i thought you meant the demolisher tires....9+" tall

RC Champion
    i used some 14mm metal hexes. nothing else. they are just like the ones on a stock revo 1/10
    slash revo vxl x4 rally x2 ped 2wd slash vxl rus

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by turok View Post
    i used some 14mm metal hexes. nothing else. they are just like the ones on a stock revo 1/10
    ok thanks for the help tires and wheels will be my next purchase

RC Qualifier
    Kershaw Design is the place to go they had a pinion it stock and is on its way now

RC Qualifier
    Now[/URL][/IMG] the plan [/URL][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    now the plan[IMG][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

I have that same shell. That is a true 1/5 scale shell and those tires are dwarfing it. I think those tires might look a tad TOO big on the 1/8 summit. Is your Kershaw chassis standard or the 1/5 size.

Over kill might be the perfect title

MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir 522 View Post
    [/URL][/IMG]

I have that same shell. That is a true 1/5 scale shell and those tires are dwarfing it. I think those tires might look a tad TOO big on the 1/8 summit. Is your Kershaw chassis standard or the 1/5 size.

Over kill might be the perfect title

Yes it is the standard chassis but a company named Leading Edge Machining may be working on a stretched chassis with 4WS

RC poster
    man, Id love to have one of those trailers. Interested in selling one? Im just not handy enough to make one, but in search of one for a long time.

Interested in how you like the swampers.please post up your findings

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I think that is the coolest traxxas truck I have ever seen. Hope it all comes together easily...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I think that is the coolest traxxas truck I have ever seen. Hope it all comes together easily...
    thanks its nice to hear.

RC Competitor
    What kind of servo will move those big tires?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadingEdge View Post
    What kind of servo will move those big tires?
    Dual savox 1230sg 500oz of torque each

What are you doing to the saver to use that torque?
    The stock spring maxes out at around 400.