Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue Boat

RC Qualifier

Rescue Boat

i am going to build a rescue boat and i was wondering what you guys think what would the best boat to build it out of? i am going to build pvc to fit the boat so that it fits tight so i don't have to screw or glue anything to it.

RC Qualifier
    I was about to go to harbor frieght right now to get their $50 boat. Called the neptune

I was SHOCKED at its performance outta the box. Its dual prop so its good at tugging or pushing something.

Check out youtube. Search harbor frieght neptune. Then search the same thing but with rescue at the end

RC Qualifier
    ok thank you i'll have to look into that one

RC Qualifier
    No save your time. They are garbage. I went thru 3. The boats ok but the tx fries within 3 min and smoke starts pouring out of it. All 3 off them. Look into another cheap brushed boat.... Thats where Im at now... or maybe an inflatable boat...

RC Champion
    I also tried using the Harbor Freight boats and they really didn't have enough power to do the job. They both still work but just for the youngest grand kids.

Built my own rescue rig/boat using PVC and an out board motor with Traxxas servo and receiver.

"enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    I just bought this off a new co-worker the other week to build one. Says he's had it since the mid 80's. Hooked it up to some juice and all was good!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    MERV SV3/5700
    Slash MMP/2400
    Slayer Pro
    Spartan

RC Champion
    Is that a plastic or metal prop? Mine came with a plastic prop but I put on a metal one of the same size for less chance of breakage.

I like the idea of using an outboard motor due to the fact that it allows for tighter turns with plenty of power.

Mine is a brushed motor like yours.... Have fun with the build and remember to share with pics......
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    It's a plastic prop, he has some other props for it just has to find them. Yea I want to swap out for a metal one for the same reason. Nothing worse than when the rescue vehicle breaks down too...lol

I'm just debating if I want to do a build like yours or go alittle bit more and try my hand at building something with some balsa wood and fiberglass...Just have to see how this winter goes...
    MERV SV3/5700
    Slash MMP/2400
    Slayer Pro
    Spartan

RC Qualifier
    i was thinking about getting a traxxas blast and making the tubing contour to the boat so it would just slip in with no permanent attaching screws or anything and that way either of my grandsons was here and wanted to go they could use it til i needed it.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe purchase an old Villain EX, has nice brushed dual motors....?

RC Champion
    I tried using the Blast as well as the Harbor Freight boat, The Blast did perform better than the Harbor Freight boat but still did not turn as tight when needed and was still down on power when retrieving a swamped boat, upside down. If the Spartan was just dead in the water right side up the Blast could retrieve it.

The Blast will work but just did not perform as well as I wanted it to, just lacked tight turning and power for my personal needs. It may serve your needs though and allow your grandchildren to have a play toy!!!!!
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    How about a modified Villain Ex? I am thinking of using a bilge pump in my spartan, anyone use the one?(Ram boat saver)
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    I installed one in my first Spartan and it did the job just fine. Once I started taping the hatch and plugged up the two vents in the rear I no longer had water issues, so I don't use it any more.

I used a 9v battery to power mine, I tried a glitch buster plugged into the receiver to power it but the 9v battery pumped more water...
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    My hatch vents are sealed but would like some extra insurance, I still don't use tape hatch though... I have had to swim a few times! I am thinking if the Spartan flips than the pump inlet should be mounted on the hatch? I don't have any problems reversing and getting water just worried about flipping and submerging my lipos.

Should I just forget about it being for mip mind water out and hook it to the calling lines to help pump when stopped?
    PM for info.....

Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    How about a modified Villain Ex?
    A Villain would probably be my choice as it is a very maneuverable boat and the twin props give it plenty of power.

I'd take an older Villain IV or a 7.2V Villain and modify one of those, though; my reasoning behind that is I'd rather run a 7.2 volt system that could run on a single battery pack (I suppose you could also "jumper" the non-BEC side on the Marine EVX if you wanted to get an EX).

I'm not entirely sure which motors I would use, though. A pair of Traxxas Stinger motors would last for quite some time if used for rescue purpose, but they don't have the most torque in the world. That said, the boat would definitely be a "quick" recovery boat with speeds in the mid to upper teens. To me, the EX seems like it would be too powerful for rescue boat duty. While the Marine Titans have a lot of torque, you really don't need at 20+mph rescue boat. A 7.2 volt system with a decent speed controller for smooth operation would work much better (at least in my opinion).

Happy boating,

-cooleo
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

I have been looking into a Villan for a rescue boat but since it has been discontinued the only ones i have been able to find are used ones on ebay going for $200.00+ and thats a little too much.
    37 Fightercat Shocker
    Traxxas Spartan

RC Qualifier
    I was wondering if you had any input on this cooleocool, you are one of my favorites! I never really knew which Villians were around due to the fact that I wasn't into RC yet. I was going to get a Spartan(first version) but heard about some of the issues... Then I looked into a Villain, once I got enough $ they were not being sold anymore, so I purchased a used Spartan after a year or two... It's been a fantastic boat, and still is! I wish the Blast would go away and bring the Villain back, liked it much better! I know dual motor boats take more batteries but I like the fact of double the power!
    PM for info.....

I agree the Villan was a fantastic boat.
    37 Fightercat Shocker
    Traxxas Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by PowerDemon View Post
    I agree the Villan was a fantastic boat.
    Still is! I own two.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

I own one but I cannot find the parts to fix it.
    37 Fightercat Shocker
    Traxxas Spartan

RC Qualifier
    PowerDemon: eBay and Amazon can be your best friend for findin parts that TRX doesn't provide anymore.(no replacement part=serious modifying) I needed a dremel chuck for a dremel that was from 2003, Amazon had it! I'm glad that I am not alone for wanting the Villain back!!!! Lost love for the Villain!!!
    Just has a cool thought while sitting in economics class, a Snap-on edition Villain!
    I found a pic of a recovery Villain!
    Last edited by Spartanator; 10-03-2013 at 11:45 AM.
    PM for info.....

Economics class ugh I know that feeling, and thats a sweet villan and thanks for the suggestions.
    37 Fightercat Shocker
    Traxxas Spartan

RC Qualifier
    Here is a used one on the bay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/141070091033...84.m1427.l2649
    He will accept anything over $185, he says he has a current offer at that price.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    My hatch vents are sealed but would like some extra insurance, I still don't use tape hatch though... I have had to swim a few times! I am thinking if the Spartan flips than the pump inlet should be mounted on the hatch? I don't have any problems reversing and getting water just worried about flipping and submerging my lipos.

Should I just forget about it being for mip mind water out and hook it to the calling lines to help pump when stopped?
    Wow... I butchered that last part... I meant has anyone used the RAM boat saver to continually pump water to help cooling?

RC Qualifier

Look at my new shelf queen!!! Getting it today or tomorrow! It's $200!
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    Looks nice.... Why just a shelf queen?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis

RC Qualifier
    Thanks orca44, I don't want to put in the nasty salt water behind my house... It might see the water but after a brush less conversion, trim tabs, turn fins, and 3s lipo. If it's in perfect condition then its a shelf queen, if a little rough than it will see water! I will be getting the Villain in 3-4 hours!

Thats really sweet! Is it ready to run?
    37 Fightercat Shocker
    Traxxas Spartan

RC Qualifier
    Yes, he is including the transmitter, stand, and well the Villain. The stand is not the stock piece of junk either! I will post some pics, got about an our until I buy it! Been riding the dirt bike around with a smile on my face waiting!!!
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    Well I finally got to run my Villain, the famous junk 2075 died(went wacko)... Decided to drop in my Spartan's old radio system so I can trash my older 27mhz system which does not work well in my waters! I just took the receiver box out of the Spartan and removed the top cover of it so I can stuff it in my Villain. I posted two videos of my Villain EX in the Villain gallery, filming was not the best but it works!
    PM for info.....

Thats really cool! Do you have any upcoming upgrades that you plan to do on the Villan?
    37 Fightercat Shocker
    Traxxas Spartan

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! A part of me wants to keep it all original, then again I don't want to swim because of not having turn fins...
    PM for info.....

If you keep everything stock you should not have a problem flipping as long as you keep the drives down. The whole time I had mine I never flipped it.
    37 Fightercat Shocker
    Traxxas Spartan

RC Qualifier
    I was just looking at the manual and will be trimming down. It's only in turns that I have an issue with it nearly flipping. I turn with speed sometimes and that's what is making the rear end skip out.

Oh that makes sense. I like to drive conservatively
    37 Fightercat Shocker
    Traxxas Spartan

RC Qualifier
    Yep, I try to drive with conservative skills. In years of growing up around high performance vehicles makes driving slow rubbish to me!
    PM for info.....

RC Racer
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...tr-v2-PRB3650B

Or

Tennis ball on fishing pole with heavy fishing line if close to shore or tennis ball on string can work

RC Qualifier
    It's not really my place, i dont have one so i cant garentee but what about a wal-mart boat with PVC pipe as a guide?

RC Qualifier

Rescue Boat

Sometimes I don't mind swimming but since the kayak managed to fly away in the last thunderstorm it's does get annoying. My Villain is now in the market place
    PM for info.....

RC Champion
    Why is your new Villain now in the market place?
    "enjoy your ride"

Dennis