Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RC Champion

ViperZ XO-1 Supercar ~~\O___O>

I received my XO-1 today.. I've been on the fence over one of these for some time. I kept waffling between one of these, a 360mm GT2, or just keep on with my Rally GT8 conversion. I decided I needed one of these added to my arsenal of RC weapons regardless of the path I take.. Besides, now that this decision is done, I can move on.

I ordered mine from Futureshop early this week and it arrived yesterday. I picked it up at the post office today. The price was just so right how could a person not own one of these? I don't have a lot planned for it, however the first thing will be to remove the OEM Rx and install a Futaba R304SB Rx so I can use my Futaba Tx.

I have a few clear bodies coming for it so I can paint my own XO-1 as my car. I have also ordered a set of Aluminum A arms for it. I would not be surprised if this car is more of a shelf queen, as I do not know of too many places where I can run this unit, yet... A Full size car group I attend sessions with often rents the local Oval Speedway, I will for sure take it out there some time and run it on the track.

For now it just feels good to have a Super car in my garage, even if it's just to polish and sine it for the time being... I do intend to take it out for a spin, so please don't pelt me sticks and stones

Seeing as I'm new to the XO-1, please feel free to recommend or suggest anything I should look out for and keep in mind. Thanks!

Oooh, cutting the factory seal

Color..? My wife said "Nice, it's the same color as your car!"

My Traxxas collection is growing

The Rally is being converted to a GT8, here is the build thread for it: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...rZ-Rally-Build

The Ultimate is nearly bulletproof now, here is the build thread for it: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ate-Great-Fun!

Last edited by cooleocool; 09-22-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: post merge

RC Racer
    I can't believe it you got the monster lol and you didn't say anything lol but anyways looks amazing what kind of upgrades can you do to this thing and can it go 100mph out of the box???

RC Enthusiast
    Subscribing to the madness

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BEvans454 View Post
    I can't believe it you got the monster lol and you didn't say anything lol but anyways looks amazing what kind of upgrades can you do to this thing and can it go 100mph out of the box???
    It's been on the simmer for some time until it boiled over and I had to get it! Thanks!

There are some upgrades that can be done. Just scanning this forum, people take it form 6s to 8s and beyond From all accounts, yes it can do 100mph out of the box.

I have some upgrades planned, but in moderation. For the short term I want to install my Futaba Rx, paint a body, maybe dress it up a bit with some bling parts, while I collect some spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by XTRMN8TR View Post
    Subscribing to the madness
    Thanks man! Hopefully it's somewhat entertaining.

So question about this unlocking the XO-1. I take it this is a Tx limitation/governor, as such if I pull the OEM Rx out and install my Futaba, I should not have to worry about this locking unlocking.. Correct?

RC Racer
    I'm starting to feel like a broken record by reminding people of one very important, and frequently overlooked first things to do........balance the wheels! This applies to just about any car that goes over 35mph, even more so with a car like the XO.

Congrats on the car.
    Sure it'll work, watch this

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
    I'm starting to feel like a broken record by reminding people of one very important, and frequently overlooked first things to do........balance the wheels! This applies to just about any car that goes over 35mph, even more so with a car like the XO.

Congrats on the car.
    Thanks for the reminder to perform this very important step

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Thanks for the reminder to perform this very important step
    It's amazing how much this gets missed.

RC Champion
    It's amazing how much this gets missed.
    In the chaotic stir of excitement, you bet

Well, seeing as I didn't know for sure about this unlocking, I used the TQi Tx, my iTouch and unlocked the 100mph limitation. It required a firmware update to the Tx and the Rx.

So next step when I get some time is to swap out the Rx... I hope it doesn't lock back up...

This motor looks to be a pretty healthy beast!

RC Qualifier
    Dude that's awesome.....if I ever jump ship to on road cars this is the beast I would buy....I will be watching very closely as you never know?....I may just........get one if it thrills me.!!!...Lol...great work viperZ...

RC Champion
    Thanks Simon! The on road cars are what excites me most, if only for the style and design of the cars & bodies

RC Qualifier
    I completely know where your coming from.....really loving that xo-1 of yours.... Even bulk standard it looks amazing so I can't wait to see what you do to it.....

RC Racer
    I didn't think I was an "on road" car kind of guy either and really had very little interest in getting one. Then TH dropped the price so low I thought "why not"? I gotta tell yuh.....I have absolutely no regrets, and I'm really enjoying the XO and I haven't even started to try unleashing it's full potential yet.

RC Qualifier
    I would not be surprised if this car is more of a shelf queen, as I do not know of too many places where I can run this unit, yet...
    Don't know where to run it? You're from Saskatchewan, your whole province is flat! You can run it anywhere, like the Corner Gas theme song 'You can tell me that your dog ran way, then tell me that it took 3 days" lol jk Nice blue body, thats definitely my favourite xo-1 colour, though after seeing your Slash paint job can't wait to see what your xo-1 will look like.

RC Champion
    ^^^ This is true... Just need a nice quiet stretch of smooth black top!

I was actually just wanting a single color like a Lambo green, or Orange, you know...

RC Qualifier
    That's twice I heard you say a single colour....Lol....losing your nerve bing?....do something to blow us away...Lol....as you said about smooth surfaces I think that is my biggest problem and why I have never bought a on road zoomer....I can't think of any where to run them....sure there are lots of parking lots but then I'm restricted to times as they get busy....I do like the sound of your oval race circuit you can use.....that would be awesome if I had something like that....ps....post some more pics so I can droll over it....

RC Champion
    It's not so much losing my nerves, but more lack of creativity and being lazy? No Actually I do like single color cars more. However because I did order 2 bodies, I will paint one a single color and another one in some racing livery, which may or may not be multiple colors. We'll see what I come up with

I'll work on getting more pics

RC Champion
    One thing I noticed with my Rally was you had to slowly squeeze the throttle to get it up to speed, if you gunned it to quickly even while moving at a good pace already, it could spin out... I decided it may be fun to try one of the in car gyros and see how it affects this.

I ordered a Futaba GYC430 Drift Gyro and will play with it in the Rally and in the XO-1...

Also I'm thinking of upgrading the steering servo to a Savox SB-2251SG, anybody use one of these in the XO-1?

• Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20x37.2
    • Weight(g): 68.0
    • Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .085
    • Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 208
    • Gear: Unique Steel
    • Bearing: 2BB
    • Case: Full Aluminum
    • 25 Tooth Spline

It's specs look pretty good the only hesitation I have is I've read people getting glitching issues with the Traxxas electronics, which shouldn't be a concern for me as I'll be using Futaba gear.

RC Champion
    Okay, ordered the Savox with a glitch buster and anD a hand full of aluminum servo horns, one of them being an Axial..

RC Qualifier
    Good choice on the Savox. Easy to waterproof too, even though they are pretty water resistant out of the box.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Adventurer View Post
    Good choice on the Savox. Easy to waterproof too, even though they are pretty water resistant out of the box.
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to see the response time of the system with gyro in place as well. I didn't think I needed a full water proof servo as I don't intend to drive the XO through puddles, rain or wet conditions. Unlike my Ultimate, which sees it share of water, puddles and rivers

RC Qualifier
    This is a serious piece of kit your going to have.....looking very interesting.....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    This is a serious piece of kit your going to have.....looking very interesting.....
    Thanks Simon! On road cars are after all, what makes me passionate about RC!

I received my Aluminum A arms today... So I proceeded to install them. It was very straight forward, the only change I made was with the main pivot shafts that came with the arms. The were a shorter E clip affair, that was slightly smaller in diameter than the stock units 2.80mm to 3.14mm. There was more play with these than I wanted so I drilled the Arms out to accept the OEM shafts. Now the suspension is nice an tight with a lot less play than with the plastic arms. When I had the OEM arms off I realized these look to be the same arms as the Slash. No wonder why I have always thought the XO-1 was just a Slash on steroids LOL.

I have not yet driven it yet as I'm waiting for my receiver to arrive which should be any day, I'm looking forward to it!

Aluminum A Arm Kit

While nicely made, I felt they needed a bit of polish

I took the Dremel with polishing compound to them

Then finished them off with Never Dull

I think it was worth it, polished one to the left

Polishing complete

Drilling out the main shaft holes

Back

Front

RC Champion

RC Qualifier
    Holy shinyness...that is looking very sexy....I just love your attention to detail...great work bing..

RC Racer
    One thing I noticed with my Rally was you had to slowly squeeze the throttle to get it up to speed, if you gunned it to quickly even while moving at a good pace already, it could spin out... I decided it may be fun to try one of the in car gyros and see how it affects this.

I ordered a Futaba GYC430 Drift Gyro and will play with it in the Rally and in the XO-1...

Also I'm thinking of upgrading the steering servo to a Savox SB-2251SG, anybody use one of these in the XO-1?

• Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20x37.2
    • Weight(g): 68.0
    • Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .085
    • Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 208
    • Gear: Unique Steel
    • Bearing: 2BB
    • Case: Full Aluminum
    • 25 Tooth Spline

It's specs look pretty good the only hesitation I have is I've read people getting glitching issues with the Traxxas electronics, which shouldn't be a concern for me as I'll be using Futaba gear.
    Are you certain that that servo will be fast enough for the gyro. I do know that 0.06 @ 4.8v works very well on a heli usually @ 6v. And I know you need a very fast servo. I don't sqwat about gyros and cars.

The slowest gyro servo I could find was 0.08 @4.8v, so I guess your's should do alright. Most are in the 0.05-0.07@4,8v range which are generally run @ a little over 5v, so even faster.
    Last edited by Flyextreme; 09-25-2013 at 02:53 AM.

RC Champion
    Holy shinyness...that is looking very sexy....I just love your attention to detail...great work bing..
    Thanks Simon!

Are you certain that that servo will be fast enough for the gyro. I do know that 0.06 @ 4.8v works very well on a heli usually @ 6v. And I know you need a very fast servo. I don't sqwat about gyros and cars.

The slowest gyro servo I could find was 0.08 @4.8v, so I guess your's should do alright. Most are in the 0.05-0.07@4,8v range which are generally run @ a little over 5v, so even faster.
    I think it should be good enough... They put these gyros in cars with a lot slower servos. I suppose I could have used a heading hold tail servo, however usually torque suffers with those super speeds.

We'll see how it works out.

RC Racer
    I suppose I asked the question more for myself. I expected you had done your homework already

RC Champion
    Looks good! Let me know how much rubber you leave on the road....
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    I suppose I asked the question more for myself. I expected you had done your homework already
    Not so much in that I knew I wanted a fast servo which maintained the OEM Torque rating of 125 oz-in, or better. The Savox seemed like the best overall with speed and good torque. The GYC430 made no mention of a minimum speed requirement in the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Looks good! Let me know how much rubber you leave on the road....
    Looking forward to how fast it goes as set up, no change sin gearing, only the ESC unlocked

RC Champion
    No major updates other than it was a BIG Body Day!

L to R, F to B: JConcepts 2012 Ford F250 SD, Ofna GTP, Sweep 1:8 GT, Protoform PF8, and 2 XO-1's

I'm looking forward to painting this one!

RC Champion
    Had some time so I balanced my wheels and tires today using my Du-bro propeller balancer. It's sooo much smoother now at full throttle!!

I borrowed a stick of modeling clay from my wife, it seems to do the trick and is barely visable.

Not that I should be surprised, but it is astonishing how much smoother it is now

RC Champion
    Started a body last night... Lets how it looks somewhat okay Part of me was telling myself, spray it one color, another was no, do something just a bit different....

So here I am...

RC Qualifier
    I'm looking forward to painting this one!

That see-thru effect actually looks kinda cool almost like you could paint a body with a light silver "tint" and show off all the nice blue anodised parts, coloured springs, those shiny A-arms, and motor and fans running underneath!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz68 View Post
    That see-thru effect actually looks kinda cool almost like you could paint a body with a light silver "tint" and show off all the nice blue anodised parts, coloured springs, those shiny A-arms, and motor and fans running underneath!!
    I know, right? I have a friend who is a sponsored XRay driver... He painted a body just like that with clear pearl to show the innards. It only had XRay decals on it

RC Qualifier
    woooooo hoooooo........loving all those bodies.....yeah the transparent look is pretty cool....also from photo looks kinda smokey looking....I like it

RC Champion
    woooooo hoooooo........loving all those bodies.....yeah the transparent look is pretty cool....also from photo looks kinda smokey looking....I like it
    Thanks.. I finished painting my body tonight.. I left the windows clear as well as the back window section as well... It was all looking great until I sprayed on the smoke transparent black. For some reason it fish eyed and looked like crap! So much so I will probably have to use the window decals. This really sucks as I was looking forward to the clear tinted windows..

GRRR... sometimes painting drives me nuts!

RC Qualifier
    Well done you sure work fast.....poop...that's a real shame .... Decals can hide a multitude of sins..painting is so therapeutic and at times it's psychotic .....especially at the last hurdle...I positive you will salvage it in a fab job...and then you will have a big grin on your face

RC Champion
    Well done you sure work fast.....poop...that's a real shame .... Decals can hide a multitude of sins..painting is so therapeutic and at times it's psychotic .....especially at the last hurdle...I positive you will salvage it in a fab job...and then you will have a big grin on your face
    Thanks for the encouragement Simon!

Okay, here it is just finished hot of the presses... The color is Ice Lime, with Pearl Black top and inserts. The Ice Lime was Pactra Rattle can backed with Tamiya Florescent Green, White backer and then Silver. The Pearl Black was Parma airbrushed with silver backer. The Smoke Tint was Tamiya rattle can.

I left the windows with the smoke tint, I just had to tint them darker than I wanted. Still they are not perfect, but I suppose good enough for this round.

RC Qualifier
    Woah, very nice!

RC Qualifier
    Ya that is nice! Very rich, deep looking green you got going on there and a nice touch with the wheel nuts matching. I especially like the fact that you can see the real motor thru the rear window, nice job!