Thread: I like lights!

Traxxas Employee

I like lights!

I have about two dozen flashlights ranging from keychain lights to some 800+ lumen light cannons. It didn't take me long before I realized that my Telluride also needed lights. I started with the stock 4 LED light kit for the bumper, but that just wasn't cutting it. I added the Proline light bar kit with the lighting harness and LEDs from a Summit and now I'm happy!

The Proline kit is absolutely top notch. Normally with plastic pieces this small you get all kinds of burrs and things never fit properly. Not so with the Proline. Everything was perfect, though it did require some cutting to mount LEDs in the kit. It was also a little too big for the Telluride body so I had to rig up a new mounting system. I don't recommend it for a basher truck though. I did roll a few times and the light bar held up, but it won't take many more rolls. I would recommend it mainly for a show truck.

The lights work great and they're pretty bright. I would say they are putting out around 50 lumens total. I have no idea what their draw is, maybe I will get around to measuring it one of these days. I imagine it's pretty negligible. I didn't notice my run times being drastically shorter. My ultimate goal is to mount them on my E-Maxx with a 4ch radio system so I can turn them on and off from the transmitter.

Enjoy...

Last edited by E-Maxxdude; 09-15-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Dang, I like that!! Those should be stock!

EDIT: Wow, I love the color green on the Telluride!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 09-15-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

Yeah, that looks pretty schweet! Now you just need some different tires to complete the look!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Looking a the neon green color, I would get these wheels.

http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Whee..._p/tra6875.htm

Traxxas Employee
    I'm looking at a set of Trencher X SCs eventually. In the meantime...

The shock tower guards for the Stampede 4x4 mount up nicely!

The shock tower guards for the Stampede 4x4 mount up nicely!
    Ha ha, go figure... They do like nice.

RC Qualifier
    Those lights are cool! I also ordered the stock bumper lights & Pro Line roof lights. I didn't imagine they'd turn out so good, nice job! My plan is to also mount some 5mm LED's in the grille, as well as tail lights.
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    Those lights are cool! I also ordered the stock bumper lights & Pro Line roof lights. I didn't imagine they'd turn out so good, nice job! My plan is to also mount some 5mm LED's in the grille, as well as tail lights.
    AB
    One problem with the lights down low is that they just don't illuminate anything well. That's why I was disappointed at first. I wouldn't put anything more than the stock lights on the bumper. They really need to be up higher to do their job. I suppose you could also mount a pair of them on the doors like cop searchlights.

The Proline kit is really sweet. It would be stupidly easy to make them waterproof with just a thin bead of silicone. I think I will probably do that when I mount a set on my E-Maxx. This was more or less a trial run on the Telluride.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    One problem with the lights down low is that they just don't illuminate anything well. That's why I was disappointed at first. I wouldn't put anything more than the stock lights on the bumper. They really need to be up higher to do their job. I suppose you could also mount a pair of them on the doors like cop searchlights.

The Proline kit is really sweet. It would be stupidly easy to make them waterproof with just a thin bead of silicone. I think I will probably do that when I mount a set on my E-Maxx. This was more or less a trial run on the Telluride.
    You'll probably have to send me pics of how you wired them. I was going to run them in series, using only 2 leads, but I got the TRAXXAS bumper lights & they only run two at a time in series. I've used RCLights setups before, but they are expensive, and require you run each LED individually to their controller. I'm trying to stay away from too much wiring. I'll probably go with a BEC connected directly to a power tap, as I've done before, to keep from running them through the Rx.

AB

Traxxas Employee
    I just used the stock light kit for the Summit plus the original Telluride kit. The Summit kit has splitters and enough wire to wire up everything. Oh, I had two Telluride kits, but the wires were torn on two lights so I just used the other two to make 6 lights for the Proline bar.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    I just used the stock light kit for the Summit plus the original Telluride kit. The Summit kit has splitters and enough wire to wire up everything. Oh, I had two Telluride kits, but the wires were torn on two lights so I just used the other two to make 6 lights for the Proline bar.
    Cool, thanks. I ordered 2 more of the bumper light kits. I'll use 6 on the Pro Line roof kit, + 2 in the grille. Then I'll get 2 red LED's for the rear. I already have a bumper kit mounted, works pretty good!

AB

RC poster
    That looks great!!!!

We need to find/fabricate and exoskeleton for this thing. Then it really will be a little Summit!