Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Well the 12T titan is officially dead.

Motor went kaplooey this evening after some hard running. Got the motor out according to the how tos I found online. Now I know i dont want the same motor back and it break within another week. I want to be aable to rock crawl, but also blast through trails and mud. Any suggestions on motor? Dont want something freakishly fast or anything maybe a bit more powerful than the 12T but I could still crawl if I wanted..

Thanks

RC Champion
    If it were mine, I'd dump the 12t for a 21t out of a Maxx or Revo then bump up to a big mAh 9.6v pack for more umph or even experiment with a big mAh hard case 3s pack (I also have an unused XL-5 laying around as a spare.) Gear it right with either one of those, it should run decent and have plenty of power to get up and over stuff yet still have be able to have some decent speed too.
    Aw, Biscuits!

I'm surprised Traxxas still sells cars with the Titan 12T... I know there're great when broken in and such, but for beginners not so much. I have a Titan in my Slash that's over a year and a half old, and it still runs great, so go figure.
    Summit Rustler Sl2sh TMaxx Pnde Slayer Sl4sh

Proper break in and maintenance is key to any brushed motor. I am curious if this motor was broken in properly and received proper maintenance?
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I've seen 2 Titan 12t/XL-5 Combos run reliably on 3s while being abused (including one of mine!), but I've also seen them go bad within the first week on brand new trucks.
    Aw, Biscuits!

Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Proper break in and maintenance is key to any brushed motor. I am curious if this motor was broken in properly and received proper maintenance?
    "The Titan 12T motor will benefit from a short break-in period to ensure optimum performance and longer motor life. For the first battery pack, use the stock installed pinion gear and drive smoothly on a flat, paved surface. Accelerate smoothly (avoiding full throttle starts), with most of the driving being done at higher speeds. This will help ensure that the motor provides the best performance and longest life"
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    "The Titan 12T motor will benefit from a short break-in period to ensure optimum performance and longer motor life. For the first battery pack, use the stock installed pinion gear and drive smoothly on a flat, paved surface. Accelerate smoothly (avoiding full throttle starts), with most of the driving being done at higher speeds. This will help ensure that the motor provides the best performance and longest life"
    This is exactly what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by wjc05 View Post
    This is exactly what I did.
    Did you clean it and re lubricate it after it was broken in? Or do after run maintenance on it?
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I got my boy a 1/16 Slash 4X4 a year and a half ago, I did a water break-in on the Titan 12T, have cleaned and lubed it regularly, and it's still running today. I even bought extra motors just so he wouldn't have any down time...haven't used them. He typically runs his a couple of hours per weekend, and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's still going strong!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I think the motor temps are most important. Titans run hot as it is. Add on some 4w crawling duty, and it will run very hot. If you dont check the motor temps every couple of min or so while crawling, it will overheat and fail. Even with proper break in and maintenance. I love traxxas, but putting this motor in this truck is a fail imo.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I think the motor temps are most important. Titans run hot as it is. Add on some 4w crawling duty, and it will run very hot. If you dont check the motor temps every couple of min or so while crawling, it will overheat and fail. Even with proper break in and maintenance. I love traxxas, but putting this motor in this truck is a fail imo.
    Basically, my boy has another spare motor. Mine came out of my Telluride as soon as I got it!
    AB

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The good thing is there are cheap and better alternatives 8)

RC Racer
    It's a long shot, but does anyone think that a Titan 12T with a torque ring would be much "better".

I haven't seen a Telluride with one in it yet. The stock photos don't have one either, seems it was designed that way.
    I have checked and one will fit though.

RC Qualifier
    Here is my solution to the 12T.

http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/servlet/...Maxx*-2/Detail

I did a search on a torque ring, yes you will gain 1k rpm, but as advertised as a trail truck, low speed driving will not turn the fan on the motor any faster, resulting in possible over heating of the motor.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Enthusiast
    Well Im giving it a second try, ran it through 2 C cell batts underwater, run cleaner through it, and lubed the bearings. Ill see if it does any better.

you will lose rpm if you put a torque ring on it.

If the 2nd titan does not last, try an electrify s600. It will be a little slower in rpm, but have more torque. You can gear it up a bit to get most of the speed back, and they last and last.
    Last edited by rag6; 09-15-2013 at 03:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Oops, I seen this video and assumed it was a torque ring, but its called unsleeving. I don't want to mislead any members.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...oes-it-do-this.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    Electrify s600 thread, Thanks Rag6 it does sound promising, and cheap.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ly-s-600-motor.

More specs on motor.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXJ766&P=8
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Forgot to mention, you must grind a flat spot on the motor shaft, and solder on the capacitors and motor wires from your titan.

RC Champion
    In my opinion putting in a 'stock' motor in a vehicle for a younger person and expecting them to break it in is more likely not to happen then happen. If the motor actually requires break in then I think they all should be pre-run and broken in before installing in a beginners vehicle. Break in is a lot to expect from an anxious kid with a new toy! Any many adults don't fully understand break-in.

Quote Originally Posted by kwitty View Post
    In my opinion putting in a 'stock' motor in a vehicle for a younger person and expecting them to break it in is more likely not to happen then happen. If the motor actually requires break in then I think they all should be pre-run and broken in before installing in a beginners vehicle. Break in is a lot to expect from an anxious kid with a new toy! Any many adults don't fully understand break-in.
    IMO a certain level of resolvability comes with a "toy" that cost $300. Such as reading the manual and following the instructions. Not reading the manual and following the instructions comes with a cost, in this case about $20 for a new motor.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

A proper breakin is not gonna make a difference if the motor is 210 after crawling for a few min like in jangs vid...
    Hopefully, the lhs's will give the new hobbyist a very clear picture when they buy it, but we all know how inept some of the hobby store employees are at times.

Anyone want to make a thread " How not to ruin your Telluride motor"?

RC Qualifier
    Meh... that's how I feel when I hear people complaining of Titan 12Ts dying.

Toy or not, people should try and figure out how to take care of their toys they worked hard to buy. If you are driving around ignoring the fact that the motor is at boiling point then it is your doing not Traxxas'... And a little perspective guys, it is a little throw way motor that died. I can get a 550 motor for 8. That's nothing!

RC Competitor
    I'd like to see the results of someone running an Axial 27t. I'm going to get this truck for my son for Christmas, and I've heard the horror stories of the 12t. I plan on breaking the 12t in using the water method (and maybe some upgrades, hehe) before he opens it up on XMas morning. I do want a viable replacement on hand in case the motor goes south so I don't have a mega disappointed 4 year old on my hands.
    Last edited by VMX12R; 09-19-2013 at 12:25 AM.

RC Competitor
    At the hobby shop there is one on demo try and during the break in it smoked. i think the 4wd is too much for a Titan 12t, just my opinion.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kwitty View Post
    I agree, RTR should really mean ready-to-run, these motors should be broken in at the factory if it is really that critical to the life expectancy of the motor.

IMO these 12T motors should only be put in the 1/16 cars where they perform admirably-(my MERV ran great on 2s lots of torque, only really gained more speed going brushless)- with a brand new design they should have sourced out a brand new motor to go with it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz68 View Post
    with a brand new design they should have sourced out a brand new motor to go with it.
    Really? You know its just a stampede with a different motor, different body, and smaller tires right?
    The message above or below may or may not be true

Lotsa caviar expectations on cheez-whiz budgets here.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    IMO a certain level of resolvability comes with a "toy" that cost $300. Such as reading the manual and following the instructions. Not reading the manual and following the instructions comes with a cost, in this case about $20 for a new motor.
    To a kid it is still a toy and in todays world there are lots of toys that are close or more than $300.
    What is most interesting to me is that there is no 'break in' for a brushless, the beginner or starter motor requires much much more care and maintenance in a way it seems to be an advanced motor rather than entry level. Maybe a brushless 3000kv could make a better reputation for some of the product at a slightly higher cost to the consumer?

No intent to degrade the product on my part, just express a more disclosed importance of the 'break in' would be a good idea....IMO

Please don't misunderstand my point............ from the owners manual.....The Titan 12T motor will benefit from a short break-in period to ensure
    optimum performance and longer motor life. For the first battery pack, use
    the stock installed pinion gear and drive smoothly on a flat, paved surface.
    Accelerate smoothly (avoiding full throttle starts), with most of the driving
    being done at higher speeds. This will help ensure that the motor provides
    the best performance and longest life.

I had to get to page 17 of the owners manual to get to this: Suggesting that an offroad vehicle be driven on flat surface at mostly higher speeds seems like an odd way to be an easy break in for a 'new' owner. I don't disagree with 'break ins' but I would think it to be more beneficial to the owner and to Traxxas to make a very 'BOLD' point of motor break in on the very first page to make sure it gets noticed and the importance of it is recognized.

PG 24 of owners manual:
    Motor: Every 10-15 runs, remove, clean, and lubricate the motor.
    Use a product such as electric motor cleaning spray to flush dirt
    out of the motor. After cleaning, lubricate the bushings at each
    end of the motor with a drop of light-weight electric motor oil.

Oh, and I am impressed with what comes from that basic motor, I have not hurt one yet
    Last edited by kwitty; 09-21-2013 at 01:21 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Hilarious!
    AB

RC Enthusiast
    The very first time I ran my Telluride the motor felt pretty warm afterward... but not enough that I had to pull my fingers off it. Since then I haven't felt like it was quite as hot after operation and I've been running on a variety of surfaces. Asphalt, gravel, short to medium grass, concrete, and of course a lot of dirt.

I plan to upgrade to a brushless setup eventually, and I'm having too much fun with it to really care about the brushed motor crapping out. When it breaks it breaks... things tend to do that.

RC Champion
    You lost me here..........this is the same motor that is in more expensive Traxxas kits isn't it?
    $300 dollars for a kid who has worked and worked to save his money is a ton, many kids have just Mom to look to for help, not as likely that she is going to have the background to understand 'break in' and repairs, and to any parent trying to keep his kid in more productive means of entertainment the $300 is a lot, a whole lot. If you have spent $300 and don't see the durability of the brand name it is unlikely for the next expenditure to be put out to the same brand?

Not sure $300 is Cheez-wiz........no offense but gosh in order to get the 'second order' you have to get the 'first order' right

Lots of kids or younger adults may not have the resources to repair, or replace from initial $300 expense, they are all in on first monies spent.
    I'm looking at it from a little different standpoint I guess and hoping to keep the smiles of fun in their eyes and the frowns of failure from taking over.

This is a hobby grade vehicle and a certain amount of knowledge3 and responsibility of ownership goes with it. If a "kid" is not up to that then maybe a toy grade RC is a better option.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    My little cousin burnt up 2 already, one has the brushes burnt and ther other looks like it shorted, it was not abused bad or never got wet.

Well the 12T titan is officially dead.

@kwitty:
    My reply was not to say that you should not expect a working and appropriate motor. It was partly in response to the suggestion that motors be broken in at the factory and when it's very simple for you to do it yourself. Gee let's add some more unnecessary costs to this vehicle. Maybe then we could just leave out the motor system.
    As far as mom not having a technical expertise to break in the motor that's just too bad. This is not a toy grade product. Just as if one bought a bicycle or a minibike or a motorcycle or anything else that requires some technical expertise, you're going to have to do your research and learn bit about this. Period.
    Regarding the Titan 12T motor, I have never had one die on me prematurely. And I could care less if someone else's review had one die on them. Certain reviewers have long since forfeited the respect or regard that I might have once had for them.
    Anybody can burn any motor. And truth be told, motors, batteries, or anything else is more likely to break in the first short while of it's use. Why is this? Because you don't know how to use it yet. That doesn't make it the equipment's fault. So whose fault is it?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-21-2013 at 11:17 PM.

RC Champion
    Agreed and respected on responsibility of ownership, that reverts back to the adult that spent the $300 if for a younger user that is inexperienced and yet educated on proper care and maintenance.
    Point again being, make it very evident of 'proper recommended break in' and make it durable once it is properly broken in. I doubt that the cost differential from a stock Titan to a possible entry level Velineon could hurt the sales of units like this, in fact it could even help with folks in this hobby like us realizing that there is more durability, far less maintenance required and not having to possibly update the motor in a very short period of time.

I think Traxxas in many minds stands for durability and the ability to take abuse on chassis and suspension and be very economically repaired if broken. I am not sure that we would all feel the same secure feelings about including the Titan into that same category but easily could on the Velineon.
    I am enthralled with the use and abuse my grandsons Slash chassis and Velineon has endured! If this vehicle is entry level which I believe it is intended in the 4x4 lineup it would be comforting to have more confidence overall in the power plant.

The original poster states he had his motor last 1 week, there are obviously many variables of why and how it failed but if it hadn't broken in properly it would likely failed more immediately.
    I assume topics like this are absorbed by Traxxas R&D, I am openly stating some thoughts to share with any and all, more of a suggestive consideration thought process to share I guess. I also believe Traxxas has been more than fair on their warranty program on electronics with most folks and I greatly respect them for that and it is one of the many reasons that I will buy more Traxxas products and suggest them to others.

$20 bucks for another motor could be a make or break point for some, I hate to see that happen to those. It would be great to send the original poster a properly broken in Titan to try again

I substantially agree with you, but I'm not sure I agree with the last sentence. Of course, there is more than enough room for our opinions.
    I agree with possibly providing a replacement motor for those who may have missed the break-in instructions the first time, along with specific instructions on how to care for them motor in a way most likely to attain the best performance and longevity. The process should be up to the user so that they can take more complete "ownership" of their vehicle.
    All the tools are there to teach a man to fish. There is no need to give him a fish.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-24-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The good thing is there are cheap and better alternatives 8)

I have long believed TRX should offer most RTR with a lower pinion gear by 2-3 teeth.... Better to have people in here asking how to make faster than to be mad about burned up motors. Someone do the experiment on how to keep a Titan in safe operating temps !
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Qualifier
    Absolutely not! The expectations are that a RTR will run for longer than a couple of battery packs, and as for "caviar" the motor than everyone is recommending as a replacement (electrify 600) sells for $16 on Amazon vs $20 for the 12T, so I'll reiterate that with a new truck they should have sourced out a new motor for it.

The 12T runs fine in the 1/16's they should just keep it there.

It also runs fine on the 1/10 2wd if you give it attention. it is asking a lot for the titan 12t to handle 4wd, and low speed(no cooling air) high load situations. I have to agree... But Traxxas will not change it now. It is what it is and anyone who buys one will have to live with it, or swap motors...