Thread: EVX-2 Problem

RC Qualifier

EVX-2 Problem

First off I am asking here in the alley because there are three Traxxas models that use the EVX-2 ESC and I think I might get more replies than the Summit forum. So this is what has happened: I was running my truck when I lost reverse power, tried turning it off and back on, recalibrating the ESC and RX/TX but nothing. Kept running it and all of a sudden lost braking power also (only forward power now) then about 10 minutes after that out of nowhere both forward and reverse throttle positions became 100% forward power Now I have tried recalibrating the ESC and RX/TX multiple times in both 50/50 and 70/30 trigger positions, I've completely reset the remote to factory settings but still the same problems. I'm leaning towards an ESC problem but others might say different so any replies would be great thanks
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    I have 2 suggestions - I thought I lost my Esc on the Summit and it turns out that when servos start to go bad the esc can start doing strange things. My Steering servo was bad. I opened up the receiver and unplugged the different servos and test run the truck, until I got to the steering servo when I unplugged it everything became normal. I replaced the two steering servos with one Savox 1230sg 550oz and have not had the problem again.

Also check to make sure you are in normal mode and not race or training mode. It is easy to reset it to normal mode. turn everything off. plug in batteries, turn on transmitter and then hold the button on the ESC down, you will get a green light then a red light, keep holding it down and you will get a red light blink once. let up on the button and it will be in normal mode. The procedure is also in your manual.

If it is the Esc, Traxxas has a warranty on the Esc. They will have you send the old one to them, they test it, if it is bad they charger like $20 bucks or so and postage and send you a new one. Pretty good deal.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

The warranty does not do him much good... he is in Australia.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I will check the servos today, thanks Brick. And yes Jimmie here in Aus with no Traxxas centre/base there's no warranty. I could probably post to Traxxas US but by the time I post it there and back it wouldn't be worth it

RC Qualifier
    I tried unplugging each individual servo but still no change in my weird ESC problem I guess it's just the ESC

I am afraid that may be the case.
    eBay.... you may get one at a reasonable price.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    I am afraid that may be the case.
    eBay.... you may get one at a reasonable price.

Sent using lipo power
    Yeah Either that or pick up an MM2

RC Champion
    Maybe it has nothing to do with the ESC instead radio or receiver is creating the problem. Check this first.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    Maybe it has nothing to do with the ESC instead radio or receiver is creating the problem. Check this first.
    Well I've been down that path, I've reset the radio and receiver multiple times but still nothing maybe I could try rebinding it

RC Champion
    I was thinking that maybe the potentiometer on throttle is bad.

RC Racer
    Do you have another 2.4 radio or a hobby shop around? Maybe they have a 2.4 radio out of the box or an associate can bring in one of their personal ones. Some guys are there just for a job, but a lot of guys at hobby shops have RC's of their own and are willing to help. The guys at my LHS are super helpful. They have opened packages and let me test fit items at the counter before I purchase them. If I find out they don't fit, they repackage them. Just an idea.
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

RC Qualifier
    I have a spare 2.4 radio at home only 2 channel but that doesn't really matter as it's only a test for the throttle. If that was the problem what should I do? New receiver?

RC Champion
    Just try if throttle work with the other radio. Then you can exclude the esc.

If the steering works, hook the ESC into channel 1 of your current radio system.

If the ESC behaves as it should with the wheel on the Tx, the ESC is fine but there is something wrong with the Rx or Tx... probably the Tx as there are no moving parts on the Rx.

If the ESC is still misbehaving, it is probably the ESC.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Okay thanks heaps for the help, troubleshooting and info you guys have given me

RC Qualifier
    So I found my problem.. It was the ESC, after all it's strange doings, halfway into a pack it finished itself. At first I thought it was a motor and it smelt the same so I put in a new dewalt took it for another drive but nothing. Dead. But I have ordered a new MM2 and Castle Link Programmer so that should work well in my summit