Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Well, the 2wd is horrible on an offroad track!

Been bashing for a few years, got bored and went to the local offroad track. I was the only guy who had 2wd. No matter how I set it up, it still spun out and the body roll was horrible.

RC Champion
    With better tires and a heavier weight shock oil it isn't to bad...
    Slash 4x4, Rusty VXL(project), Slash 2wd(project).

One outing to the track is not enough to condemn the truck as horrible. If your goal is to make it compete against 4wd trucks you are fighting a losing battle though.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    I went to the track for the first time with my dad on fathersday. my father and i were hard presses to even get it around the track. i think the 3 hours there we didnt even have a represenitive race to say who was better.
    My wife hates it but I love It.

RC Qualifier
    really? I like my 2wd slash its more of a challenge to drive a track with the 2wd vs 4wd but I think it gets around it pretty well imo...
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

I've been racing all summer and still battle with it, in fact today was the first time I came in first, and that was just a heat race against only other 2wd's, as stated above, you cant put a 2wd against a 4x4.
    I still have a lot of fun, and in the end that's all that counts, for me anyway.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    as stated above, you cant put a 2wd against a 4x4.
    I still have a lot of fun, and in the end that's all that counts, for me anyway.
    +1 to that cant race 2wd against 4wd with expireinced racers atleast lol and congrats on the 1st place billy....

Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    +1 to that cant race 2wd against 4wd with expireinced racers atleast lol and congrats on the 1st place billy....
    Thanks, like I said it was just a five lap heat run, I dint win the feature, but we always have a blast.

RC Competitor
    I had a blast, but the 3 heats and the final I was in, I came in last or close to it. Couldn't even full throttle it because it would spin out. Everyone has 4wd and brushless.

RC Qualifier
    I took a knife to a gunfight Saturday night and didn't come out dead.

Raced my STRC LCG Slash with an XL5 and a brushed motor against the open Pro 2 SCT guys. They blew by me on the straight but I just kept motoring around at top speed and finished 3rd in a class of 10+.

To really embarass them, I told everyone behind me on the starting line that I was running a brushed Slash. Bwah ha ha.

I was really fast when I had the Reedy Radon in there. I was running 18/90 gears but the temps were still way high. Like 190. I had to switch back to the Titan or I could have done better.

On these tight carpet tracks, the Slash holds its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny13334 View Post
    Been bashing for a few years, got bored and went to the local offroad track. I was the only guy who had 2wd. No matter how I set it up, it still spun out and the body roll was horrible.
    What changes did you make?

To be any near track-worthy you need to make some key changes:
    1- Change out the springs (Losi XXX Springs: Green front 2.5" on front, blue 3" on back)
    2- Change out the shock oil, recommend 45wt in the front, 35-40wt in the back)
    3- Move the shocks to the outer-most position on the arms
    4- Tires.
    - The stock tires are great for bashing, but horrible on the track (honest, their're not too bad on wet clay)
    - You want to ask the people that race there all the time what tires they use.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    I think I am just gonna get a 4wd. They told me what kind of tire they mostly run but I forget.

RC Qualifier
    check this thread out if you haven't yet....keep in mind this was in the 2wd slash threads

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...stead-of-a-4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Timber211 View Post
    check this thread out if you haven't yet....keep in mind this was in the 2wd slash threads

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...stead-of-a-4x4
    Oh yes, I put my 2 cents in also.
    I just sold my last scte ten a week or two ago, now I'm planing on buying a platinum 4x4 and turning it into a GT-8 and or a rally car.
    I saw a rally at my lhs and liked it a lot.
    I'll tell you, since I got back into this hobby I feel like I'm in a movie scene, "Every time I think I'm out, Traxxas pulls me back in",lol.
    Gotta love it!!!

RC Qualifier
    isnt that the truth Billy just snagged my first slash and bam I am addicted once again lol

I think I am just gonna get a 4wd. They told me what kind of tire they mostly run but I forget.
    The way I look at the hole situation is simple.
    IMO the 4x4 is fun racing other 4x4's, at least this has always been my experience.
    But even with this I enjoy racing the 2wd more, against other 2wd's of course.
    As I stated, I fully plan to purchase another 4x4 to build GT-8 for speed runs, I personally just dont have near fun with a 4wd race truck, but I can't get enough of the crawlers, for me that's what 4wd was made for, but I can also watch the 4wd's race and enjoy every minute.
    We all like different things, and traxxas makes an rc for most all occasions, one is not better than the other, just more suited to a personal preference.
    Sometimes it seems because we have one or the other we think or wish to believe ours is better.
    This is silly and lets be real,just plain immature.
    Buy what you prefer, and enjoy what you have.

RC poster
    I had the same problem, so I did some research and put 45wt shock oil all around with new losi springs. After I did that I have no issues at all, and I'm still running the stock tires. I've driven the 4x4, it's nice but the 2wd is a lot more fun to drive.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RC.Furry View Post
    I had the same problem, so I did some research and put 45wt shock oil all around with new losi springs. After I did that I have no issues at all, and I'm still running the stock tires. I've driven the 4x4, it's nice but the 2wd is a lot more fun to drive.
    Which losi springs? And what kind of track were you running on? Guess I'm buying 45wt shock oil hahah

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathcanbefun View Post
    Which losi springs? And what kind of track were you running on? Guess I'm buying 45wt shock oil hahah
    In front I have losi green 2 inch 3.5 rate, and in the back I have the blue 2.5 inch 4.1 rate with 4mm preload spacers on all 4 shocks. That's what works for me. And I was on a hard packed/loose dirt track.

Edit-I forgot to mention my set up also works good on the street. Also does pretty good on sand and loose dirt with tons of rocks. Pretty much does great on any surface I've thrown at it so far.
    Last edited by RC.Furry; 09-10-2013 at 04:26 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    In front I have losi green 2 inch 3.5 rate, and in the back I have the blue 2.5 inch 4.1 rate with 4mm preload spacers on all 4 shocks. That's what works for me. And I was on a hard packed/loose dirt track.

Edit-I forgot to mention my set up also works good on the street. Also does pretty good on sand and loose dirt with tons of rocks. Pretty much does great on any surface I've thrown at it so far.
    Thanks! Ill give it a try!

RC Qualifier
    Just for some perspective, I really haven't known many people to do well at the track their first time, regardless of what they are running. It takes practice; the control you have just bashing around is not the same as running in an area where you have fairly narrow confined space and have jumps that need to be timed, corners that need to be taken with throttle control, etc..
    Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick 2.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    ^^^ I agree. You have to make YOUR truck easy to drive on the track. At the start, in practice, slow it down till you can get it through the entire circuit, lap after lap without having to be marshaled. Even if it feels REALLY slow, this will prob keep you out of last place. If your racing against overpowered meat heads like me, you can finish near the top lol. After that, go up a tooth on the pinion. The truck will just feel different. If it feels hard to drive, you need to change the setup. If it feels better, then race it. Jang from URC did a tune up vid that can get you a good starting point at the track.

Ya can't polish fertilizer...

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I used Jang's video as a starting point for my Slash and have tweaked it for my own driving style. Just changing out the springs and shock oil makes a world of difference.

The OTHER big change is the tires. The stock tires are really fun for bashing and are built to last, but don't hook up at all on most tracks.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    When I first started driving rc's I thought 4x4 was the way to go. They were easier to control. Now only a rwd can give me the excitement that I desire. I like driving on the edge of control, steering with the front and rear tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    When I first started driving rc's I thought 4x4 was the way to go. They were easier to control. Now only a rwd can give me the excitement that I desire. I like driving on the edge of control, steering with the front and rear tires.
    Boy I couldn't agree more, 4wd is fun for speed runs and racing other 4wd's, but I just have so much more fun with my 2wd's.
    My 4wd's will last a long time because they sit most of the time.
    I am however looking forward to building a 4wd GT-8, but that will be for street speed runs only.
    I have nothing against 4x4's, I own them, but 2wd rules in the fun factor category.

RC Qualifier
    2WD is just more fun, but I gotta agree, a stock, untuned VXL Slash on stock tires must have been a real handful at the track. Especially trying to keep up with a bunch of tuned 4x4s.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I raced a Slash 2WD for over two years, both on an indoor and outdoor off-road track and I can say without any doubt it ran great and handled very well as it was designed.

RC poster
    In all seriousness, Jang is the freakin man.
    As rag6 posted, that video was perfect. I basically bought the springs he mentioned in the video and tuned them to my preference. Im still running the stock wheels and tires but theres no reason to waste them. Sure they arent the greatest, but why waste them by immediately switching them out?

RC Qualifier
    As it has been pointed out already one track outing is not enough to judge a car. Every time, I mean EVERY time I've tried a car for the first time at the track it has been pretty bad. Even my Losi 22, that was utterly undrivable first time out.

You have to get used to the car and set it up properly, it is a learning curve. If you stick with it, it will get better.

RC Enthusiast
    In all seriousness, Jang is the freakin man.
    As rag6 posted, that video was perfect. I basically bought the springs he mentioned in the video and tuned them to my preference. Im still running the stock wheels and tires but theres no reason to waste them. Sure they arent the greatest, but why waste them by immediately switching them out?
    +1
    Just bought the springs that Jang and RC furry recommended and went to SDRC for the second time and I was getting around just fine. I wouldn't say it's all in the shocks, but you will see dramatic improvement!
    Rumor is the slash just won a shoutout at SDRC. All the really good drivers tested out a bunch of different scts and they all liked the slash the best!

RC Racer
    I have a 2WD, as stock it is impossible to run.
    I've replaced the shocks + 1/8 bigblock wheels and itís a total new vehicle which I can run and control nicely.
    I would start with the tires, the stock are a total disaster.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The stock tires work pretty well on a carpet track, but if its still squirrely, try the s1 compound.

RC Enthusiast
    Having same issues, I purchased and installed titanium shock shafts in my stock shocks. That helped out the handling a lot. Added gladiator tires and that helped a lot but it will get more traction and you will roll truck in corners if not careful. Waiting on order for above mentioned Losi springs and will report back on those.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kcollins812 View Post
    I purchased and installed titanium shock shafts in my stock shocks. That helped out the handling a lot.
    Umm..., I don't think so...

You're experiencing the placebo effect.

I purchased and installed titanium shock shafts in my stock shocks. That helped out the handling a lot
    While I agree the TiN shafts are indeed harder and wont bend as the stockers, howbeit their not going to do a thing to actually improve handling.
    Like most mods which toughen the slash up they as I've said before, indulge the ego more then the slash.
    Modifications like lcg chassis, wheel track extenders, superior tires and a few others will truly improve the handling caracdtristcs, tho rpm parts and oh so many other upgrades that again produce a stronger slash dont ultimately improve handling.
    Example, take a stock white plastic steering bell, put a couple bearings when needed in place of the plastic bushings and it will perform exactly as an aluminum unit without the bling.

The tini coated shafts are really not any stronger than the stockers. The super thin coating really cant make the shafts stronger. They do however reduce friction, which will have the shock getting stuck less when the suspension parts flex and the shock gets loaded sideways(the reason ultras bend). The sliperyness of the coating actually does improve the action and smoothness of the shock, but if you can tell the difference while driving... You have superman senses lol.

The tini coated shafts are really not any stronger than the stockers
    Not trying to be a stinker rag6 but indeed they are, as their also hardened steal.
    Unless you meant just a coated shaft, if so I apologize, I was referring to these.
    http://www.infernosonly.com/TRA1664T...p/tra1664t.htm

RC Qualifier
    I brake Tini shafts as easily as I brake the stock ones. Can't tell a difference either way, except for price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    I brake Tini shafts as easily as I brake the stock ones. Can't tell a difference either way, except for price.
    I've never broke a stock shaft, I have bent several but never broke one.
    I have broke TiN shafts before, this is because their much harder and like any hardened metal the will often fracture rather then bend.
    I've done the same to pro line power stroke shafts which are also hardened.
    Not much is unbreakable but hardened shafts will tolerate a lot more.

RC Qualifier
    what do the big bores come with - hardened or just coated?

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I've never broke a stock shaft, I have bent several but never broke one.
    I have broke TiN shafts before, this is because their much harder and like any hardened metal the will often fracture rather then bend.
    I've done the same to pro line power stroke shafts which are also hardened.
    Not much is unbreakable but hardened shafts will tolerate a lot more.
    "Jedi Master"