RC Qualifier

slash cogging bad! can't figure out my problem.

Alright, so i created a thread about this a long time ago, and never got to the bottom of the issue. so i put my slash up and haven't touched it since. But i'm getting tired of looking at it and want to drive it. I have a castle sct esc with a 3800 4 pole motor. I'm also using a spc 8200mah 50c 2s lipo. Should have plenty of available amps. I tried rolling the firmware back to no avail. I also reset the esc to stock settings. This thing worked fine for a couple months after i upgraded to the castle system. Suddenly it started cogging like this and will only work intermittently. The first battery i used was a gens ace 4000mah 30c 2s, I figured that might be the problem, but i put the spc in it and same thing. Here's a vid hopefully one of you guys have seen this before and can point me in the right direction to getting it fixed. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Oh, and it's stock gearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz8jz1odtXc
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Forgot to say the esc was at 130f and the motor was at 110f. I ran it for a minute or two before it started today. Just short bursts and then brake.
    addicted much....

RC Competitor
    Says video is private

RC Qualifier
    I know, I just realized that. I've been trying to figire out how to make it unprivate.
    addicted much....

RC Competitor
    Ok, I would tell ya but idk either.

RC Qualifier
    looks like a typical ID 10 T error..

mine did the same thing
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
    looks like a typical ID 10 T error..

mine did the same thing
    Ya lost me. Lol!

I figured out how to fix the video, but just as I was going to do it, my computer detected a virus and now I'm waiting for my computer to finish cleaning the virus. Hopefully it works!
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    ok, video should be public now.
    addicted much....

If your just touching the throttle I cant see it doing anything wrong, if your pulling the throttle all the way and that's all it will do something is amiss.
    A non-sensor motor is going to do that, If your running the castle with a vxl-3 esc its a miracle its running that well.
    By typical ID ten turn error he's saying normal, if you desire a smooth low speed response you need a brushed or brush less sensord motor.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-07-2013 at 05:34 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    If your just touching the throttle I cant see it doing anything wrong, if your pulling the throttle all the way and that's all it will do something is amiss.
    A non-sensor motor is going to do that, If your running the castle with a vxl-3 esc its a miracle its running that well.
    By typical ID ten turn error he's saying normal, if you desire a smooth low speed response you need a brushed or brush less sensord motor.
    I'm running the sct esc it was the sct combo. And that's full throttle that it does that. On the vid you notice how it will cog and then nothing? I never let off the throttle. It does that on its own. Honestly normal cogging doesn't bother me. But this isn't even driveable.
    addicted much....

Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    I'm running the sct esc it was the sct combo. And that's full throttle that it does that. On the vid you notice how it will cog and then nothing? I never let off the throttle. It does that on its own. Honestly normal cogging doesn't bother me. But this isn't even driveable.
    No if that's full throttle somethings not right, may be time to send it to castle.
    How long have you had that system, and do you know anyone that can let you barrow a motor to see if your esc act's the same?
    That's a bummer.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    I've had the system close to a year. It was in my merv for awhile. No I don't know anyone with a sct system. I don't think I can send it to castle, I waterproofed it with liquid rubber. So they might say it's something I did. I was just trying to figure out if it's shot or repairable. Time to pony up some dough for a mmp!
    addicted much....

RC Enthusiast
    Did you check the magnets in the motor? I've seen a lot of threads with a bunch of different problems that ends up being the motors fault.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathcanbefun View Post
    Did you check the magnets in the motor? I've seen a lot of threads with a bunch of different problems that ends up being the motors fault.
    No, I didn't. Its funny you mention that, I've heard of magnets coming loose from heat. I've taken the motor apart and didn't see anything that grabbed my attention. Then again I don't know what to look for either. Seems like as soon as it warms up it starts doing that.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    A little update, I pulled the sidewinder system out of the truck and pulled the motor apart. Everything looked fine in the motor. Bearings moved freely amd no visible damage. The castle link program said their was a new beta firmware update. so I updated the esc with it. After bench testing the motor. It seemed to work fine. So I reinstalled it and wala! It still cogs more than what I would think is normal, but at least I can drive it now.
    addicted much....